Author Topic: Nadac Hoopers in Holland - Update: 2 course runs  (Read 3016 times)

Eilfy

Nadac Hoopers in Holland - Update: 2 course runs
« on: May 20, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »
For a while I have been reading along and enjoying the videos you have posted. Recently, I started with Hoopers as well. Not in the US, that would be one heck of a flight to attend a trial, but in Europe. To be precise, in The Netherlands.

The rules we have are a little different from the US rules:
- At the moment there are 2 levels: Starters (obstacle distance 2-3m, max distance from handlers box 5m) and Novice (obstacle distance 2-4m, max distance from handlers box 7.5 meters)
- We have to stay in a handlers box, size 3x3m. Any step out of this box results in a disqualification
- We have 3 course types: standard course (hoops, gates, tunnels, barrels), numbered course (hoops only) and game course (any combination of obstacles / different rules possible)

We are allowed to run every course twice, named round 1 and round 2. You start with 50 points at the start of a round. A fault or a refusal costs 5 points, every second over standard course time costs 1 point. A disqualification costs 50 points. The course score is the sum of your points in round 1 and round 2. The maxium score is 100 points, which earns you a T (title point). A round with 90-99 points earns you a Q (qualification point). To advance to the next level, you need at least 5 T's or Q's. To earn your title, you at least need 2 T's (one on standard, one on numbered) and in total 5 scores of 90 points or higher.

At the moment I am competing at novice level with Kenji, a 2 year old border collie. I started with hoopers because Kenji was too young to start with agility training and I didn't want to put him through the obedience routines. It has been a golden choice so far, Kenji loves it and because he can work independently and at distance, I have a major advantage with agility.
Kenji earned his first T and his first Q last weekend in his 2nd trial. With a total of 235 points he is now placed 4th in the novice standings. Very proud at my boy.

Here an example of a trial in NL (in this video, you only see 1 attempt on each course but you have to run each course twice)

So happy that I discovered this type of handling your dog :) Kenji and I absolutely love it!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:12:25 AM by Eilfy »

Jean Sather (McCreight)

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Nadac Hoopers in The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »
Fun to see!  Thanks for sharing your video.
Jean & Tux
Montana

LeeAnne McAdam

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:41:47 AM »
That looks like fun!!  Thanks for telling us about your system and showing your video!  Good job!!
Lee Anne

Eilfy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
Thanks!  :D

It is a lot of fun and more important, it is a sport which is easily accessible for both dogs and handlers with a disability.

Currently we are in the first season of the national competition, the sport was introduced in 2014. So we still have lots of growing to do :)

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 08:17:53 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  I agree that you will have a major advantage in agility by starting with HOOPERS and barrels.  You are learning to show your dog the path instead of letting the course equipment dictate the path.  Good job!
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:35:15 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing this video.  It is wonderful to see others embrace the box work.  Your system challenges you to really form a nice bond with a willing partner.  You have a wonderful teammate in Kenji.  Thanks again, and best of luck to you both!
Jeff L.

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 01:52:12 PM »
Cool!  It looks like a lot of fun as well as challenging, and Kenji seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself!  I'd love to try those courses with my dogs.  Thank you for sharing!
-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to: Hutch and Tesla;
              Alva, Wilbur, Orville, Misty - Beautiful sheltie
                                 souls waiting at the Bridge

Eilfy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 01:53:20 PM »
Cool!  It looks like a lot of fun as well as challenging, and Kenji seems to be thoroughly enjoying himself!  I'd love to try those courses with my dogs.  Thank you for sharing!
-dayle

I can share them if you want :)

MoabDiane

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »
Fun fun fun!  Love the creativity!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »
For a while I have been reading along and enjoying the videos you have posted. Recently, I started with Hoopers as well. Not in the US, that would be one heck of a flight to attend a trial, but in Europe. To be precise, in The Netherlands.

The rules we have are a little different from the US rules:
- At the moment there are 2 levels: Starters (obstacle distance 2-3m, max distance from handlers box 5m) and Novice (obstacle distance 2-4m, max distance from handlers box 7.5 meters)
- We have to stay in a handlers box, size 3x3m. Any step out of this box results in a disqualification
- We have 3 course types: standard course (hoops, gates, tunnels, barrels), numbered course (hoops only) and game course (any combination of obstacles / different rules possible)

We are allowed to run every course twice, named round 1 and round 2. You start with 50 points at the start of a round. A fault or a refusal costs 5 points, every second over standard course time costs 1 point. A disqualification costs 50 points. The course score is the sum of your points in round 1 and round 2. The maxium score is 100 points, which earns you a T (title point). A round with 90-99 points earns you a Q (qualification point). To advance to the next level, you need at least 5 T's or Q's. To earn your title, you at least need 2 T's (one on standard, one on numbered) and in total 5 scores of 90 points or higher.

At the moment I am competing at novice level with Kenji, a 2 year old border collie. I started with hoopers because Kenji was too young to start with agility training and I didn't want to put him through the obedience routines. It has been a golden choice so far, Kenji loves it and because he can work independently and at distance, I have a major advantage with agility.
Kenji earned his first T and his first Q last weekend in his 2nd trial. With a total of 235 points he is now placed 4th in the novice standings. Very proud at my boy.

Here an example of a trial in NL (in this video, you only see 1 attempt on each course but you have to run each course twice)

So happy that I discovered this type of handling your dog :) Kenji and I absolutely love it!

Well done!!  You are doing a great job and I am so glad to see that you got your rules in place and everyone is enjoying the fun of hoops, barrels, and tunnels!  Kenji is really looking good and congrats on your Q's and T points!  You set a great example!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 10:31:33 PM »
I can't watch the video right now (I'm at work and youtube is blocked) but I enjoyed reading your post, good job! Can't wait to watch the video sometime when I'm at home :)
Jessi Zamboni

Eilfy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 03:35:42 AM »
We are still training :)

Apart from all the "Dutch style" courses, we also practice on Nadac courses. This week we did the June challenge which was posted on the website. Had lots of fun with both the beginners (smaller distances than in the actual challenge) and the more advanced combinations (almost full distance). Our greatest challenge: find that one spot from which you can run the course by taking only a few steps.

Kenji nailed it the very first time, so proud!

Aaaand to top it off: we have a working spot in the seminar Amanda is going to give in Holland in February 2017! Really looking forward to that :)

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
Re: Nadac Hoopers in Holland - Update: June Challenge
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 05:26:35 AM »
That was VERY nice!  Love that your pup can do that on one part of the field while another dog is training not too far away!
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

James Bell

• Judge
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 05:33:22 AM »
Nice! Good path, tight barrels. Looking good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

James Bell

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:53 AM »
I love watching your videos!  Keep 'em coming!
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)