Author Topic: 5-foot Rule for Barrels  (Read 7289 times)

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: 5-foot Rule for Barrels
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »
And Chris, you *will* make this a "sticky" at the top of the page, right?!
Thanks again!
diane

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 01:17:38 AM »
Very nice, clear video. And that program is really cool :)
Jessi Zamboni

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
Question...you pointed out all of the faults in barrel performance. Are these 5, 10, or 20 points? The difference between 5 or more points obviously mean something on a weekly basis with the option of 5 point Qs in Regular, while larger matters at Champs. Just curious...
Thanks for the video!  It helped a lot.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

RobertStewart

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 06:38:38 AM »
This is a really good video Chris! I've posted in on our clubs Facebook page! So everyone can see it.

As NADAC comopetitors, it is in our best interest to keep up with what's going on with the nadac forum.

Thanks for the Video, it's really helpful!

Robert Stewart
Travis Agility Group
Robert Stewart

NATCH-8, V-NATCH-7, MACH-2, ADCH/LAA Platinum Rocket Man

NATCH-4, V-NATCH 4, MACH, PDCH/LAA - Bronze, Ellie

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 06:53:27 AM »
Very clear explanation!  I'll use the phrase "4 paws past the plane of the barrel" for the commitment point.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

danforth

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
I have a couple of questions abo ut barrel rules still.

Do you have 3 tries to redo the barrel like in weaves?

Is going outside the markers (or where they would be) a 5 point fault in Regular?   or 10 points?

Thanks for the great video?
Isabel and Cocoa

Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil, and Takoda

• Art and Dog Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »
Great video!  Very good to know we can send our dogs around the barrel again without a fault if the first attempt is not tight enough.  Its what I want to do anyway when my dog has a wide turn.  VERY VERY COOL.   I think the thing my dog Lil will need to get used to is ignoring little "marker" objects.  I'm not kidding when I say she may see them as obstacles to be performed!  But this is a dog who will weave through weave pole bases without the poles so I doubt anyone else will have to set up little objects around a barrel at home for their dogs.  :)  Dev   
Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil and Takoda

MoabDiane

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:14 AM »
Ha, Dev!  I thought the same thing about the golf 'whiskers.'  Cones shouldn't be a distraction, but little wiggly (in the wind) sticky-uppy things?  Looks like a toy to me! (well, to my dogs....)

diane

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
Excellent video, Chris.  It helped clarify the rules considerably.  Thank you.

Just to be fair to Helen, though...  I missed the barrelers runs on Friday, and the first time I heard about the new rule was at the briefing on Sunday.  I didn't know the rules were adjusted until then.  It didn't matter to me as I train for tight turns and expect that from her, but it did bother me that I wasn't aware of the change until then.  And I read the forum more than most competitors.

I'm also concerned about the different sizes of barrels that are used at trials.  The 17Flat barrels and Fiskars compost barrels are considerably wider than some of the barrels I've seen at trials, by 4-5" in diameter.  It may not seem like much, but for a fast big dog, a tight turn around something 5" in diameter smaller than another barrel is a big difference.  I probably should invest in the smallest size of barrel allowed and train that...  Could you give us the dimensions of barrels allowed at trial?

Thanks again for the video Chris.  It makes much more sense now.
-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:36 PM »
Excellent video, Chris.  It helped clarify the rules considerably.  Thank you.

Just to be fair to Helen, though...  I missed the barrelers runs on Friday, and the first time I heard about the new rule was at the briefing on Sunday.  I didn't know the rules were adjusted until then.  It didn't matter to me as I train for tight turns and expect that from her, but it did bother me that I wasn't aware of the change until then.  And I read the forum more than most competitors.

I'm also concerned about the different sizes of barrels that are used at trials.  The 17Flat barrels and Fiskars compost barrels are considerably wider than some of the barrels I've seen at trials, by 4-5" in diameter.  It may not seem like much, but for a fast big dog, a tight turn around something 5" in diameter smaller than another barrel is a big difference.  I probably should invest in the smallest size of barrel allowed and train that...  Could you give us the dimensions of barrels allowed at trial?

Thanks again for the video Chris.  It makes much more sense now.
-dayle

Most things are tested at funraisers and always have been.  Most people love being at the ground floor and have the ability to give positive constructive input about potential improvements to the sport.

Barrels can be 22-27" wide.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Rosemary

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 03:08:04 PM »
Excellent video Chris.  Thank you for taking the time to clarify the criteria for everyone.

Helen Z

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »
Sorry, Chris, not to get this posted sooner.  I did not purchase these videos and had to get them via email from the videographer.  As I said, I only watched 3 videos, Roxie's, Mojo's, and ZZ's.  I showed ZZ's to the judge, as ZZ was clearly as far out or farther than Roxie.  He made the comment about being in the moment and missing something.  Now look at Mojo's run and how far out he is.  I'm not saying they weren't five feet out.  So no need to measure.  I think it's pretty clear that Mojo went wider than Roxie, but he didn't get called for it.  What I'm saying is there was no criteria articulated to us to know we had to be within five feet, and therefore it's unfair to eyeball it and fault someone 20 pts. for being possibly beyond the five feet when they don't even know that's a fault.  No one I talked to at that trial knew about it.  I didn't run barrelers, but other people did, and even they didn't know it applied to Regular....and there were no cones put out!  So making consistent calls, obviously, was nearly impossible.

Your new video is wonderful, very easy to understand, and I will claim to be the driving force for FINALLY an explanation of what's expected.   ;)  Quite obviously from other posts, most people had no idea.  I actually had a couple people "friend" me on FB, telling me they agreed wholeheartedly with my post.  They do way more NADAC than I do, but they didn't know their dog had to be within five feet of the barrel.  I don't have any complaints about your five-foot rule...I just think you need to make me aware of it before you charge me to run a course and fault me for a rule I had no idea existed.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 06:57:44 AM by Helen Z »
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

Tikvah01es

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 06:37:50 PM »
Great video Chris!  Thanks for the explanations!

Rachelle
Rachelle Jensen

Helen Z

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
Several people have asked what the fault is for going outside of the 5 feet, and so far I haven't seen a response.  I can tell you that my dog was given a 20 point deduction.
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 09:53:54 PM »
Several people have asked what the fault is for going outside of the 5 feet, and so far I haven't seen a response.  I can tell you that my dog was given a 20 point deduction.

It would be 20 faults.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility