Author Topic: 5-foot Rule for Barrels  (Read 11770 times)

Sandy Langan

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: 5-foot Rule for Barrels
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:07 PM »
I'm confused. When was it decided a barrel in the warm up ring wasn't allowed? I remember asking about it awhile back and it was OK but a lot of clubs didn't put one out because of the dogs lifting their legs on it. Please advise so we don't break a rule at our next trial. Sandy

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
I'm confused. When was it decided a barrel in the warm up ring wasn't allowed? I remember asking about it awhile back and it was OK but a lot of clubs didn't put one out because of the dogs lifting their legs on it. Please advise so we don't break a rule at our next trial. Sandy

The warm-up area is for warm up and not training.  We allowed clubs to put out a barrel for awhile and in nearly every trial, it got peed on by dogs and people were always upset.  And people were using the barrel to try to train it right before going in the ring.  If people were to actually use it to help supple a dog before entering the ring, it would be the most useful tool available for warming up.  But it seems that having dogs that don't pee on a barrel is an oddity not a rule.

The fights weren't worth it anymore and a year ago we announced not to have barrels in the warm up area.  There can be a maximum of either two hoops OR two jumps OR one hoop and one jump in the warm up area.

I personally would prefer a barrel and our dogs don't pee on it, so a barrel works.  But so many clubs were furious about the constant cleaning of the barrel if put in the warm up area.

Or maybe a club could put out a barrel and initiate a $5 fine for any dog that pees on it!!!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sandy Langan

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »
We thankfully were one of the lucky clubs who didn't have any issues with the barrel but will follow rules not to have one at our future trials. Thanks for clarification. Sandy

Jean Wilkins

• Judge
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
I know that my clubs haven't had an issues with dogs peeing on barrels.  Guess we are lucky were we are in Maryland

Jean
Jean Wilkins
Zephyr, Wit, & Autumn
Maryland

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »
At the trial (Fun Raiser) I was at this weekend, there was a barrel in the warm up area. Some very kind and generous folks put whiskers around it for folks to practice on and get used to them. Great idea and thank you!

I do agree that a barrel out in the middle of a Regular course is sometimes the toughest part of the course to get. It can look kind of "out there in space" to some of our dogs and they may have some difficulty "finding" it. Part of the difficulty may just be our handling - we're not helping our dogs enough (creating a good, strong path) or the dog may not understand the concept of the obstacle well enough to actually "look" for it.  :) (This appears to mostly be with our older dogs, the young ones who started their training with barrels seem to have a lot less problems.) But, this was also the issue when hoops first came into courses and there were only one or two out there. Now all the dogs seem to be able to "find" the hoop in the middle of a course, so I figure that soon they'll be looking for, and finding, the barrel. (And now there will be whiskers or those flat discs around them to make it even easier for the dogs to find the barrel!)

I really hope that barrels stay on our courses. They are a fun, safe obstacle for the dogs! If we saw more of them on courses we'd all get used to them - just like the hoops! Please put more barrels on courses for us so we get more practice to better our handling - if nothing else.  ;D

Just my humble opinion,
Kyle

Good input! (other than having a barrel in the warm-up area, which isn't allowed!!)

sharon

I also did not realize we couldn't put a barrel out for warm up.  I would ask that if it's a problem with dogs lifting their leg on it, please leave the decision up to the club.  We have lots of new people coming to our NADAC trials lately and we'd like to keep them coming back.  Almost no one around the Midwest teaches barrels or uses them in classes so our newbies typically have no experience with them.  We need to put them out in warm up so the human feels comfortable with an obstacle they haven't used before.  At our May trial I just told them if a dog pees on it, the barrel goes away.

Also as far as barrels in the middle of a course.... at the trial last weekend we had a 360 degree barrel performance in Touch and Go.  It was between a 90 degree turn off an A-frame to a hoop (with an off course hoop straight off the A-frame) and a tunnel which was the next obstacle after the 360.  I have worked barrels in my back yard more than most people.  My dog can do a great wrap around a barrel under those circumstances.  It is a huge issue to have a 360 barrel between two off course possibilities with one of them being a tunnel.  I don't have the opportunity to set up the speed of full courses to practice barrels due to lack of space.  I am again asking anyone if they have any ideas to try to replicate this speed coming into these barrel performances.  I'm really tired of missing these in trials and then having my bad mood affect the rest of my day. 

Thanks,

Gina Pizzo

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2016, 07:12:38 AM »
Good input, Gina!  I hope the course designers are also reading all posts in case I miss a set with an barrel placement with multiple off courses possible.

If a club wants to put a barrel out then can, but please don't have club members who have reactive outbursts be the one who takes the barrel out if it gets peed on!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »
The warm-up area is for warm up and not training.  We allowed clubs to put out a barrel for awhile and in nearly every trial, it got peed on by dogs and people were always upset.  And people were using the barrel to try to train it right before going in the ring.  If people were to actually use it to help supple a dog before entering the ring, it would be the most useful tool available for warming up.  But it seems that having dogs that don't pee on a barrel is an oddity not a rule.

The fights weren't worth it anymore and a year ago we announced not to have barrels in the warm up area.  There can be a maximum of either two hoops OR two jumps OR one hoop and one jump in the warm up area.

I personally would prefer a barrel and our dogs don't pee on it, so a barrel works.  But so many clubs were furious about the constant cleaning of the barrel if put in the warm up area.

Or maybe a club could put out a barrel and initiate a $5 fine for any dog that pees on it!!!

Sharon

When barrels were "new" and we did have them in the warm up area it was wonderful - newbies to NADAC who were fretting that their dog didn't understand a barrel could have the opportunity to try it before their run. I watched them do it a bunch of times - took the dog about a minute to figure it out and the handlers didn't "overdo" it. It was fun to see the handler go from whining and moaning that their dog "wouldn't know it" to "wow, that was easy and fun".  ;D

I honestly can't believe a rule - that affects us all - had to be made because some clubs couldn't control what was completely under their control. Dogs peeing on the warm up barrel??? Disgusting. But I guess that goes along with one of my pet peeves of folks allowing - and even aiming their dogs at - a trash can to pee on. That trash can *belongs to someone*, it's not your property to pee on. Someone has to pick that can up at some point and either get pee on their hands or on their clothes. Gross! Mmm...maybe it kind of serves them right if it's their dog who stops on course to pee on the barrel...you asked your dog to pee on something similar earlier....hmmmm...

So we're *all* stuck with not having a barrel to warm up on nor are we able to allow our dogs to check out the "new thing" near the barrel. Thanks, male dog owners who allow their dogs to pee on other people's stuff....  >:(

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

MoabDiane

Re: 5
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 07:47:58 AM »
Sharon:  I am laughing at all the "dog pees on barrel" notes.  Remember when Hutch peed on one in Moab??  And he wasn't even doing agility!  ROFLOL!!!!

On another note, a regular course at MDS last weekend had a barrel in (the more or less) middle of the ring. Many dogs that have good barrel performance seemed to have trouble with it (including one of mine).  I do believe it was an off course tunnel possibility that caused some major bobbles - though the tunnel seemed far enough away.  {Sorry, edited to add that I hadn't seen Lindsey's post about this several posts back - I agree with her!]

I do like having a barrel for warm up (not training, tho "familiarization" might be a good reason too).

Diane
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:23:28 PM by MoabDiane »

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2016, 08:07:41 AM »
We actually say something in our general briefing about dogs peeing on anything that is manmade.  After all someone has to pick up that garbage can at some point.  If we're at a building with landscaping we also remind exhibitors not to let dogs pee on the bushes and Evergreens; a tree trunk is ok, but no foliage.  Seems like plain old good sense but ...... And yes I've owned male dogs.  I used to walk Shep down the middle of the street in our neighborhood because someone else let their dog pee on every vertical surface and I did not want him doing the same.

Gina Pizzo

gm5bkc

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2016, 08:26:14 AM »
To get back to the performance requirements for barrels,  is it safe to say that if hoops are "on" the barrels that is the path requirement, and the dogs should know that because hoops are there to go through, not around.  And if no hoop it is the 5 foot requirement (for Elite)?

Thanks - Glenn
Glenn, Merri, Hildie IJC, WV-I
and V-NATCH Katie, HP-O

http://www.hoopsandjumps.com/
http://funagility.webs.com/

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
Glenn - the hoops on the barrels are just for the barrelers class (from what I understand)

All other classes will not have the hoops, but will have the 5 ft (elite) rule with the markers on the ground if available.

Lindsey

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2016, 03:14:07 PM »
I've attended two great Fund-Raisers in the past month.  There were no hoops on any barrel in any class,  including Barrelers, only path markers.  Small flat style cones were used as markers at these trials.   ;)
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys.. Monte and Lake.

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »
Last night I did a Touch N Go trial and it had a barrel. My first time seeing the markers around it. I wasn't sure if my BC would take it tight enough (as I've never paid much attention to how tight he takes barrels, and sometimes he does go wide... he's not a tight turning BC) but he had zero issues with it :) Most dogs I watched had no problems.
Jessi Zamboni

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • GotDog? Trainer
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2016, 08:06:31 AM »
I judged a trial last weekend that had a few barrels in some classes. The whisker markers were used and they were awesome. The 5' wide path in Elite gave everyone the perfect sense of how their dog performed the barrel and only a couple dogs had to be resent when they went outside the markers. It was very helpful to me to know exactly when they went outside the path and it also let the handler know that they had the option to repeat the barrel if they wanted to 'take off' the 20 faults I would have faulted if they didn't try again to fix it.

I did not see any dogs have issues with the Whisker markers.  We did place two in the ground in the crating area so people could 'show' their dogs what they were and teach them to leave it, if they needed to. Most dogs just ignored them once they sniffed them.

I will say, in an indoor arena we did find the ground to be a little hard (under the fluff) to stick in the golf tees. I would suggest using a screwdriver to create a hole prior to sticking in the golf tee. The golf tees will not withstand pounding them in, they will break apart when tapped in with a hammer if your ground is hard. We used really long tees, I think the shorter version would be better. The dogs never touched them, so there really is no reason they need to be super secure in the ground.  We had no problem pushing them in the grass arenas I have been to. 
Marj Vincent
Scotty & Java
Ontario, OR

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

danforth

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
How many markers are set around a barrel?  Just 2 or could there be more?

Thanks.

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa