Author Topic: 5-foot Rule for Barrels  (Read 7594 times)

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: 5-foot Rule for Barrels
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2016, 07:32:33 AM »
I am looking at the VT courses for ER1 and ER2 of Antique.   The path around the barrel as obstacles 7 and 18.   How would markers be placed around that barrel?   Can anyone provide a diagram?

Thanks.

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

garypaula

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
This is tricky, because the dog takes two different paths around the barrel, depending where he/she is on the course.  In a case like this, I would think you have to place markers so they do not get in the dog's way either time and yet mark the parameters as much as possible.  It would appear to me that only one marker could be used that would be out of the dog's way each time around the barrel.  My opinion is based on being the chief course builder a couple of weeks ago, working with the judge.  The main thing you want to do is mark the parameters, but not get in the way of the natural path of the dog around the barrel.  If you were to put a marker to the "south" of the barrel, it would be in the dog's way going from 17 - 18 - 19 (ER1) or 3 - 4 - 5 (ER2), for example.  Others are certainly welcome to express their own opinions.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 05:00:04 PM by garypaula »

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
This is tricky, because the dog takes two different paths around the barrel, depending where he/she is on the course.  In a case like this, I would think you have to place markers so they do not get in the dog's way either time and yet mark the parameters as much as possible.  It would appear to me that only one marker could be used that would be out of the dog's way each time around the barrel.  My opinion is based on being the chief course builder a couple of weeks ago, working with the judge.  The main thing you want to do is mark the parameters, but not get in the way of the natural path of the dog around the barrel.  If you were to put a marker to the "south" of the barrel, it would be in the dog's way going from 17 - 18 - 19 (ER1) or 3 - 4 - 5 (ER2), for example.  Others are certainly welcome to express their own opinions.

Good input!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2016, 06:33:50 PM »
So if I had a question at a trial, I guess that asking the judge for clarification would be the way to go?

Isabel
Isabel and Cocoa

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2016, 09:24:17 PM »
So if I had a question at a trial, I guess that asking the judge for clarification would be the way to go?

Isabel

Yes, it is best to ask the judge at that particular trial how they have set their markers.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility