Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22952 times)

lorriemaxx

Re: Championships courses
« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
I loved the "mulligan" run in Wyoming  ;D.  Best 7 out of 8 scores is a cool idea.  I know it adds time, but it seems like a lot of people are interested. 
Lorrie,
NATCH-13, Versatility NATCH-9, 10K points, Platinum Speed Star Maxx (retired)
and
NATCH-4, Versatility NATCH-3 Flying Pixie Dust "Pixie"

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2016, 08:22:37 PM »
I would love to try a combo run - whenever, whatever else needs to drop out, mulligan, shrimp cocktail...oh never mind that!  Totally open to whatever works best time-wise, scoring-wise, and course-building-wise!
Diane

Deni

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
A little bummed, but we'll go with the flow. Hope you still come up with some surprises Sharon, it's part of the champs experience!

What about adding the hoop circle to one of the other classes; touch n go or maybe chances?  Possibly add in a way that exhibitors could opt to run with or without the hoop circle section.  It would be somewhat of a combo, without too much additional time.

Denise 
Denise

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2016, 09:00:45 PM »
How about leave it as you originally intended except the hoop circle portion of that course is a for bonus points.  Those who don't want bonus points can leave it out and not lose anything.  Those up for the challenge get the chance to score some extra points.  If it was held as an early round  it would mean ppl could choose well before the pointy end of champs to either opt in or out of that challenge
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Deni

« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2016, 09:01:27 PM »
A little bummed, but we'll go with the flow. Hope you still come up with some surprises Sharon, it's part of the champs experience!

What about adding the hoop circle to one of the other classes; touch n go or maybe chances?  Possibly add in a way that exhibitors could opt to run with or without the hoop circle section.  It would be somewhat of a combo, without too much additional time.

Denise

PS: maybe you could even do that with a Regular round?  (If memory serves, exhibitors have had choices at previous champs. They just had to pick before the runs started.)  Set "x-hoopers" sequence and anyone not wanting to run with the gates could opt for the course with gates removed? 
Denise

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2016, 09:07:04 PM »

PS: maybe you could even do that with a Regular round?  (If memory serves, exhibitors have had choices at previous champs. They just had to pick before the runs started.)  Set "x-hoopers" sequence and anyone not wanting to run with the gates could opt for the course with gates removed?

Yes, we have done that.  Those that run with the gates would receive extra points for the additional challenge...... or something.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Rebecca Kriz

• portfolio
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2016, 09:12:55 PM »
How about leave it as you originally intended except the hoop circle portion of that course is a for bonus points.  Those who don't want bonus points can leave it out and not lose anything.  Those up for the challenge get the chance to score some extra points.  If it was held as an early round  it would mean ppl could choose well before the pointy end of champs to either opt in or out of that challenge

I like this idea!  It reminds me of the year we got bonus points for doing as many obstacles as we could from a box in Gillette.
Rebecca, Truly & Mud

whitjoule

« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
I, too, am disappointed, but love the idea of an x-hoopers extra course, or whatever.  Please sign me up for whatever you come up with. 
Sherry, Joule and Guinness

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2016, 09:29:03 PM »

I like this idea!  It reminds me of the year we got bonus points for doing as many obstacles as we could from a box in Gillette.

that was a fun challenge too!  What a great memory!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

LexiBrigante

« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
If you decide to do an extra run to try it out either Tuesday evening, Wednesday, or Thursday count me and all 4 dogs in! It sounds fun I always love a challenge!

Wild Terriers

« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »
I am so, so, so excited to see I wasn't the only one excited about the X-Hoopers - I will go to sleep tonight, after an exhausting day of moving stuff from the POD to the shed in 100+ humid temps, with a HUGE smile, dreaming of what fun Sharon will come up with for the Circle of Hope!!  Thank you Sharon for being you and always having a trick up your sleeve - I like others hope you always have at least a surprise or two at Champs - it really is part of the whole experience.  Now, I really have to figure out how to get both dogs to Utah!!!

Karen
Karen and the Wild Terriers

LFuller

• Trial Secretary
  • Pathrunner Dogs
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
Count me In on anything you do with the "combo" style course.  Love it!
Linda Fuller

Donna & Gracie

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2016, 12:02:29 AM »
I too would love to try a combo run. Hoping we are given a chance to try one this year either in pre champs or champs. If it is offered I'd like to enter!
Luv my mini aussie
Donna & Gracie

Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil, and Takoda

• Art and Dog Blog
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
I've been busy so just caught up on the X-hoopers discussion.  Its great that people have the opportunity to share their honest thoughts and feelings here on the Forum.  Even though there won't be an X-Hoopers style course at Champs this year, the discussion made me realize I have enough Expens to set up a hoop circle so I did (for the first time!).  My 7 yo AT,  Lil learned some great stuff, including the biggest lesson for her, which was there are options other than running around the far side of the circle.  It took a few reps but once she realized I wanted her to enter the circle, she pretty much GOT IT.  The next biggest challenge for her was sending across the diagonals.  She wanted to curl in and take the closer exit.  But after a few reps, she started paying more attention to my handling and GOT IT.   Sends across the diagonal were also very challenging for my 11 yo AT, Jake.

Then 18 month old BC, Takoda had his first exposure to a hoop circle.  He had a much easier time with diagonal sends (due to longer strides perhaps) and had no problem finding the entrances and exits I directed him to... once he figured out he needed to watch my handling every rep vs. do what he did the last rep.  :) 

The hoop circle was a great exercise for all three dogs and for myself re: how to handle boxes (3 way discriminations), which bite me in the butt more than any other type of sequence found on NADAC courses.  The other benefit I saw was for enhancing "big distance" skills, because all three dogs' lines became smoother and more flowing due to the limitations of 4 entrances/ exits.. I assume.   

I am so glad this topic came up on the Forum because it inspired me to set up a hoop circle, which I think I'll be doing now and then from this point forward!  Looking forward to seeing everyone at Champs!   

Dev and Lil (Takoda and Jake along for the ride)
Dev Sperber, Jake, Lil and Takoda

Jeanne Allen

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2016, 09:48:24 AM »
I like Shirlene's idea, but here is my twist on that idea.  How about leaving the course as is, but run it once like the original plan and for those that do not want the x-pens, take out the x-pens and just leave the hoops.  Like the example Sharon posted earlier on how this course could look, everyone would run the same course, just that some would have the x-pens and some would not.  Those that run the course with the x-pens could get extra points.  I do not know how the logistics would work out with this as far as scoring and run order, but it would be a way to keep the hoop circle for those that want it and for those that did not want the hoop circle, the course is the same but now more of a hoop focus.

Jeanne Allen and the Blue Dogs Gypsy and Jester
Boise, ID