Author Topic: Championships courses  (Read 22958 times)

agilityaddict2

Re: Championships courses
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2016, 07:22:52 AM »
If someone wants to remain anomynous why is that a big deal? There are lots of posts on the forum with no real name Let her be, it doesn't negate what she has to say. She's entitled to her opinion regardless of her name. Maybe I am just not a warm and fuzzy type!
That said I trailed this past weekend and tried the hoops circle for the first time. Not as bad as people think.  Hope that makes some people relax a bit about it.

Sharon, AZ

« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2016, 08:58:24 AM »
You are so funny Kyle!  However, you definitely speak the truth...those who go to Champs...and this is probably my 15th...just expect things to happen...and ..together...the group makes it through...and smile as we sometimes wear our invisible "I survived the NADAC champs challenges! 

It's a fun group that is tons more supportive than anything else!!!

Wendy...in Phoenix, AZ

How are communications handled at Champs?  Are changes/adjustments announced at briefings?  I don't have a smart phone or a tablet.  I'll take my laptop, but I don't see myself carrying it around - so I'll have limited E-Mail access.  Thanks!  Sharon, AZ

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2016, 09:02:44 AM »

How are communications handled at Champs?  Are changes/adjustments announced at briefings?  I don't have a smart phone or a tablet.  I'll take my laptop, but I don't see myself carrying it around - so I'll have limited E-Mail access.  Thanks!  Sharon, AZ

There is a PA system.  I don't think that anyone would need a smart phone or tablet.  In fact I wish that no one brought them and people "watched" the event instead of texting all day!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:02 AM »
If someone wants to remain anomynous why is that a big deal? There are lots of posts on the forum with no real name Let her be, it doesn't negate what she has to say. She's entitled to her opinion regardless of her name. Maybe I am just not a warm and fuzzy type!
That said I trailed this past weekend and tried the hoops circle for the first time. Not as bad as people think.  Hope that makes some people relax a bit about it.

If memory serves me correctly, and many times it doesn't, when we had the Yahoo list we had to sign our names and when the Forum started we were asked to put our names in the "signature" thingie. That may have been dropped in the last 5 years, I dunno.  :-\ 

Nice to hear your first experience with the hoop circle wasn't too bad! Maybe you could offer some pointers for others to make their first experience OK, too!?

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2016, 10:25:46 AM »

If memory serves me correctly, and many times it doesn't, when we had the Yahoo list we had to sign our names and when the Forum started we were asked to put our names in the "signature" thingie. That may have been dropped in the last 5 years, I dunno.  :-\ 

-Kyle

Yes, the forum is a definite "sign your posts" site.  When we started, it was moderated and if people don't sign their posts, then the posts didn't go through.  Now that Chris removed the moderation, some do not follow the guidelines.  It is a courtesy to sign posts.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kelly Wilson

« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:15 PM »
The signing of a post in my opinion is important.  It makes me feel strongly enough about my reply.  I think about how it will be received by others, I would never want it to come across disrespectful.  I don't know a lot of people I see on the forum so certainly don't judge anyone for their comments that are signed, but shy away from unsigned comments.

Kelly
Journey & Kya
Kelly Wilson
Journey, Kya, & Indie

lorriemaxx

« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:32 PM »
As far as signing posts, I think people are also trying to "meet" each other on the forum, or at least get an idea of who is going.  It's nice to be able to say "oh yea, Kyle, I saw some posts from that person" and feel like you have some sort of connection.  I think any forum is a "community", and I don't know about anyone else, but I like to know the names of people in my community.  It's hard to mentally connect with an "anonymous" user.  Also, I do think that having our name out there makes us think about the content and tone of our replies.  Usually that makes for a more polite conversation  ;).

As someone said, even if you make up a name (for safety or other reasons), at least it is a name to help people connect!
Lorrie,
NATCH-13, Versatility NATCH-9, 10K points, Platinum Speed Star Maxx (retired)
and
NATCH-4, Versatility NATCH-3 Flying Pixie Dust "Pixie"

Helen Z

« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2016, 09:15:14 PM »
Re signing posts, I think some people may want to avoid being singled out for having a contrary opinion.  I don't know if that's the case with Foomin' Z or not.  I personally don't care if she puts her real name or a fake name.  People said she could put a fake name.  She (or he, I guess) did...Foomin' Z.  What's the difference between that and a fake name of say Barbara Smith?

My other concern is this hoop circle.  I don't generally read the forum.  I honestly don't have time.  Last week I found out through the grapevine about the hoop circle controversy.  I think there were about 14 pages on the post at that time.  I read that Sharon said she would NOT be doing the hoop circle, and nothing else new ever again, for that matter.  Okay, done.  Thank goodness I heard, again, through the grapevine, that it's back on.  Is there a way for people who don't spend all their time on the forum to find out about these things?  I know you've asked not to discuss other venues, but for my 3 times at Nationals in another big venue, there wasn't anything I needed to know that I didn't get in an email and had to go research...absolutely nothing. 

And last, regarding the hoop circle, now I hear that we have to make a decision (again, via the forum --  thank you, grapevine! --  not via email) on whether we want gates or not on our hoop circle and MUST let it be known by Wednesday night.  Those who can afford to take time off work for a whole week will have the opportunity to try it out in pre-trial.  Those like me who can't take that much time off work because I'm self-employed and don't get vacation pay don't have that opportunity.   My bad, I guess.  But here's my real question:  What's the difference?  If you do it and you bomb it, you lose points.  If you don't do it, someone else who has the opportunity to do hoop circles all the time in practice gets bonus points for doing it.  Isn't that the same thing?  You've already lost points by not doing it whether you want to call it that or not; right??  Am I missing something?  I don't think the playing field was leveled at all.  People who've never done a hoop circle are at a disadvantage, plain and simple.  They can either attempt it and bomb it and lose points or not attempt it and, essentially, lose points.   :-\
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

ricbonner

« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:55 PM »

There is a PA system.  I don't think that anyone would need a smart phone or tablet.  In fact I wish that no one brought them and people "watched" the event instead of texting all day!

Sharon

I would offer that relying on the PA system to communicate to the exhibitors is not very effective.   It works fine for some things that are in the moment and only need to be communicated to those present - "red van has their lights on", that sort of thing.  But other types of announcements need to be posted somewhere so they can be referenced.  The issues with just using a PA system is that 1. Not everyone is always present to hear the announcement, 2.  Not everyone who is present is able to hear the announcement clearly, 3. Most people are occupied and not even aware of the announcements or paying any attention to them, and 4. Most announcements are made only once, which makes it even more difficult to stay informed as an exhibitor.  The Utah site has that huge polo field, anybody out there with their dog is not going to hear any announcement over the PA.  The PA system is just not very effective on its own.  A bulletin board with a list of announcements and/or a post on the forum where announcements can be checked by the exhibitors would be much more effective I think.  The best option would be to make the announcement over the PA, but then also post it to a bulletin board so anyone who didn't hear it over the PA could check it and stay informed.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: August 25, 2016, 09:54:46 PM »
Re signing posts, I think some people may want to avoid being singled out for having a contrary opinion.  I don't know if that's the case with Foomin' Z or not.  I personally don't care if she puts her real name or a fake name.  People said she could put a fake name.  She (or he, I guess) did...Foomin' Z.  What's the difference between that and a fake name of say Barbara Smith?

My other concern is this hoop circle.  I don't generally read the forum.  I honestly don't have time.  Last week I found out through the grapevine about the hoop circle controversy.  I think there were about 14 pages on the post at that time.  I read that Sharon said she would NOT be doing the hoop circle, and nothing else new ever again, for that matter.  Okay, done.  Thank goodness I heard, again, through the grapevine, that it's back on.  Is there a way for people who don't spend all their time on the forum to find out about these things?  I know you've asked not to discuss other venues, but for my 3 times at Nationals in another big venue, there wasn't anything I needed to know that I didn't get in an email and had to go research...absolutely nothing. 

And last, regarding the hoop circle, now I hear that we have to make a decision (again, via the forum --  thank you, grapevine! --  not via email) on whether we want gates or not on our hoop circle and MUST let it be known by Wednesday night.  Those who can afford to take time off work for a whole week will have the opportunity to try it out in pre-trial.  Those like me who can't take that much time off work because I'm self-employed and don't get vacation pay don't have that opportunity.   My bad, I guess.  But here's my real question:  What's the difference?  If you do it and you bomb it, you lose points.  If you don't do it, someone else who has the opportunity to do hoop circles all the time in practice gets bonus points for doing it.  Isn't that the same thing?  You've already lost points by not doing it whether you want to call it that or not; right??  Am I missing something?  I don't think the playing field was leveled at all.  People who've never done a hoop circle are at a disadvantage, plain and simple.  They can either attempt it and bomb it and lose points or not attempt it and, essentially, lose points.   :-\

Helen, the NADACforum IS the means of communication, that is why we talk here, not via the grapevine.  If one chooses to not ever read the forum that is their choice, but they also made the choice to stay out of the communication circle.  I can post here and reach everyone that wants to stay up to date.

The NADACforum will continue to be where I post updates.  If you check the forum, then you will have accurate information and not have to rely upon the grapevine.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »

Sharon

I would offer that relying on the PA system to communicate to the exhibitors is not very effective.   It works fine for some things that are in the moment and only need to be communicated to those present - "red van has their lights on", that sort of thing.  But other types of announcements need to be posted somewhere so they can be referenced.  The issues with just using a PA system is that 1. Not everyone is always present to hear the announcement, 2.  Not everyone who is present is able to hear the announcement clearly, 3. Most people are occupied and not even aware of the announcements or paying any attention to them, and 4. Most announcements are made only once, which makes it even more difficult to stay informed as an exhibitor.  The Utah site has that huge polo field, anybody out there with their dog is not going to hear any announcement over the PA.  The PA system is just not very effective on its own.  A bulletin board with a list of announcements and/or a post on the forum where announcements can be checked by the exhibitors would be much more effective I think.  The best option would be to make the announcement over the PA, but then also post it to a bulletin board so anyone who didn't hear it over the PA could check it and stay informed.

We really haven't had an issue and don't expect one.  There aren't many announcements to be made and most are done in the morning briefings.  We do post to the forum, as always.  Not everyone has a tablet, smart phone, or Ipad so we try to make sure that all important information is announced each morning.  Running orders are posted, so people can easily see when it is their time to get ready or how long it will be.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Kyle

« Reply #251 on: August 25, 2016, 10:34:07 PM »
But here's my real question:  What's the difference?  If you do it and you bomb it, you lose points.  If you don't do it, someone else who has the opportunity to do hoop circles all the time in practice gets bonus points for doing it.  Isn't that the same thing?  You've already lost points by not doing it whether you want to call it that or not; right??  Am I missing something?  I don't think the playing field was leveled at all.  People who've never done a hoop circle are at a disadvantage, plain and simple.  They can either attempt it and bomb it and lose points or not attempt it and, essentially, lose points.   :-\

I think you may have missed the part where if you don't try the hoop circle with the ex-pens, you will be doing the same course but it will be just the hoops out there, no ex-pens. You could run along side your dog - or however you handle a course of just hoops. It would be like doing a "partial" numbered Hoopers course that also has a "partial" Regular course with the normal obstacles. IOW, I guess you could picture it as a Regular course with extra hoops out there. So if you choose to not have the ex-pens there's no argument about anyone not being able to "practice" a hoop circle.

It kind of sounds like you are looking for the disadvantages rather than the advantages.  :(  Take a "risk" and run with the ex-pens and maybe get some "bonus" points OR, run your dog as normal and do well as you normally do!  ;) Champs is Time Plus Faults. So for this run you may want to play a strategy game... If you and your dog can run really fast and be clean without the ex-pens you may well beat a slower dog/handler team who gets bonus points when using the ex-pens. It's a game with advantages either way!  ;D The choice is available for everyone, that's how I see it makes it fair.

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

carl.jelovich

« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2016, 07:41:34 AM »
Some of you folks are HUTS not to mention mean and self-centered.

I thought this was about having fun playing with your dog, not life or death serious.
Silly me.

Iím going to Champs to have fun playing with my dog.

Carl Jelovich
Seattle, Washington
Carl Jelovich

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2016, 10:13:46 AM »
Hi Folks,
There always seems to be a flurry of "what if's" and "not fair's" and, and, and, as the date of the Championships draws closer.  Chock it up to nerves or expectations or whatever.  We all want to do well at the Championships.  People have trained, trialed and worked hard to earn the right to be there.  And, of course there is the added stress of entry fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc.
But, let's face it, while some of us may end up in the limelight, no one is going to get rich and famous from attending the Championships.  We do this because we love the sport, enjoy the company of other like minds, hope to highlight our dogs' talents and our skills and to be tested in a Championship environment.

While I would dearly love to join all of you and proudly walk to that start line, it isn't in the cards for me this year.  I have 4 old dogs, with two of them not doing well and I have 3 young dogs under the age of 2 years who certainly aren't ready for a Championships environment.

Please stop and reflect and know that you earned your way to the 2016 NADAC Championships because you are THAT GOOD and because you will proudly walk to the start line each time, knowing you have the best dog ever!

Good luck everyone.  We'll see you in Utah

Becky
Becky Woodruff

Donna & Gracie

« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2016, 11:49:57 AM »
Please stop and reflect and know that you earned your way to the 2016 NADAC Championships because you are THAT GOOD and because you will proudly walk to the start line each time, knowing you have the best dog ever!

Good luck everyone.  We'll see you in Utah

Becky.

Sorry you won't be at Champs this year Becky !!! Just wanted to say thanks for the above words of encouragement.  Made me reflect and even brought a few tears..yep we each have the best dog ever !!!
Donna and Gracie
Luv my mini aussie
Donna & Gracie