Author Topic: Suggestions for buying jumps  (Read 785 times)

Ginger Allen

Suggestions for buying jumps
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
My club is considering buying new jumps.  We're interested in jumps that can be taken apart so they store more easily in our trailer.  I'm very interested in suggestions for types and brands of jumps that people like.  Can anyone help me out?
Thanks,
Ginger
Ginger Allen

Sarah Fix

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Suggestions for buying jumps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »
We bought them from Emmco Sports in Kernersville, NC.  They are one piece aluminum (pretty lightweight but sturdy) with a "turny foot" so they store flat.  Nothing to put together!  Just add a bar to the jump cups and you're ready to go!  Dan Emmi is great to work with.  They also have an awesome dog walk that is made of aluminum and is very easy to move!  They will add the pellet rubber to it or you can get it plain and add the black rubber yourself.  I can move it easily by myself.  emmcosport.com
Sarah Fix
Jinks and Boogie

TheQuestKnight

• I'm a Marxist: Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo, Gummo
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »
Hi Ginger!

I'm assuming that you have some members in your club with a bit of "construction" talent.

There are numerous places on the internet that sell preformed jump cup strips . . . some are plastic, some are composites and some are metal; but they all mount easily . . . all you need to do is determine where to drill the holes for the first upright and all the others are drilled the same way . . .

If you want "free standing" standards that would require a second bar at the lowest height, there are many sites that sell 5-way furniture Ts . . . 4 legs and one upright . . . if you want jumps with a bottom bar . . . use 4-way Ts . . . 2 legs on each side, a bottom bar and 2 uprights . . . and then you can make them any width that you want.

Plumbers' grade PVC, the stuff that the home improvement stores sell will last almost as long as the much higher priced furniture grade PVC . . . and if you don't mind the printing, it cleans up really nice with a Scotch-Brite pad and some liquid soap . . . if the printing bothers you, acetone on a rag will remove pretty cleanly . . .

My personal advice is DO NOT glue the PVC pieces together . . . instead assemble the jump and use a rubber mallet to GENTLY tap pieces together . . . and then use a 7/64" drill to attach tubes to fittings on 3 "sides" of the fittings using #8 x 5/8" or 3/4" long sheet metal screws that are GENTLY screwed in . . . if any of the screws "strip", just replace it with a #10 x 5/8" or 3/4" long screw . . .

. . . or leave as much as you choose to leave "detachable", which can make storage really economical when it comes to space . . . they still hold together just fine . . . at least that's been my experience and I've made equipment for over 20 years now . . .

I don't have a personal "favorite" as far as a supplier . . . the pieces are all very similar in their construction and how they assemble . . . which is pretty basic and easy . . .

Basically, all that's needed is a mitre or table saw, a tape measure, a pencil to mark where to cut, a drill, a drill bit and a screwdriver or screwdriver bit to fit the drill . . . and some screws . . .

By getting the club members together for a jump building BBQ or pizza party, the club can save 40-70% over the cost of "store bought" jumps and have jumps that are every bit as good as . . . if not BETTER, than those that are available commercially . . .

If I can be of any further help, you may contact me personally . . .

Hugs & wags,

Al and the Border Collies of Castle Camelot (OH)
Castle Camelot: Al, Barb, Dred, Gael & Pellinore . . . and from The Bridge Grill & Pub,  Kali, Flurry, Promise, Chico, Romulus, Trix and Tony.

Ginger Allen

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »
Many thanks, Sarah and Al!  I appreciate it.  I'll pass along your advice to the club.  Thanks again!
Ginger
Ginger Allen