Author Topic: Jobs at Champs, your chance to help make it happen -- Some good info too.  (Read 742 times)

SpringCrew

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • NADAC Addict
2016 NADAC Championships
South Jordan, Utah

Volunteering:
We love having volunteers; we couldn’t do this without you.  Thank you to everyone who has signed up to help.  The Worker’s Schedule will be posted each morning near the Gate Sheets.  Be sure to take a moment each day to check when/if you are scheduled to work.  If you cannot work when scheduled or if there is a conflict, see if a friend can take your place.  If not, just let me (Tim Spring, the Man in the Purple Hat) know.  A lot of people wait until they arrive at Champs to volunteer and tell me to call them if needed.  Unfortunately, so much is going on I can’t remember who said they would be willing or where to find them.  There are times when we call for extra helpers so if you are available please come down and help.

There will be a Volunteer Raffle with some cool prizes, the only way to enter is by volunteering.  Becky Spring makes sure there are a lot of purple prizes and she welcomes other raffle donations. 

ASSIGNED JOBS
Scoring
LeeAnne McAdams and Becky Spring are dedicated to scoring.  Chris and Sharon Nelson oversee and compile scores throughout Champs.  You don’t see these folks a lot because they work long and hard to get it right.  If you have any questions about scoring do not ask those dedicated to scoring.  Complete an inquiry form with your issue/concern (found by the trophy table).  The scoring team addresses these as quickly as possible and the form will be returned to the drop-off location with an explanation and/or correction.

Judges
I’m not sure how they do it.  You may see judges positioned in the stands, on the floor or in the rafters.  They watch/judge runs from start to finish each day.  Please let the judges focus on the task at hand and don’t go up to say hi.  If you see an issue on the course let them know, but try to do it between runs.

Ribbons
After each round, scores are calculated and checked.  The results are sent to the Ribbon Area, and the ribbons are placed on the boards.  This will be done as quickly as possible.  There are some things you can do to help.  Make sure you pick-up your ribbons after each round.  Once ribbons are picked up, they can get ready for the next round.  Leave the card with your dog’s name on the board until the end of Champs.  Marj Vincent and Jeannie Biggers usually handle ribbons, and a lot of other tasks as well.  If they ask for help, give them a hand; otherwise please let them do what they do so well.

Announcer
Arlene Courtney does a great job of keeping people informed throughout the day/night, calling for volunteers, pumping up the crowd, introducing the teams on the course and commenting during their runs.

Gate
The Gate is normally managed by Blair Bloxham or a NADAC judge.  They will get you in line and ready to start up the chute, where you advance to the start line.  Gate Sheets will be posted in the morning, and the run order does not change during the day.  Each day the order changes slightly in that each group rotates through the order.  Your order within the group doesn’t change.  You will follow the same person unless there is a need for a change, which is rare.  It is up to you to get to the gate at the appropriate time.  There should not be more than 4 or 5 dogs waiting to line up so don’t congregate around the gate.  Remember to give your fellow exhibitors room.  The site is large and you can be near without standing at the door.

Starter
This is normally me (Tim Spring), a NADAC judge or someone designated by Sharon/Chris.  This person will be the one to give you the “Good Luck” to start your run, just like the judge on a normal trial weekend.  The Starter and the Box Manager will try to get you out on the course and ready to go before the previous dog is finished running.  As in a normal weekend the leash does not come off until the “Good Luck”.  Any other rituals you have need to be completed so you can start after the “Good Luck”.  Don’t stress yourself out but don’t dawdle either.  An extra 10 seconds per run for 250 runs is 41 minutes of extra time or 82 minutes for the day.  Ten seconds doesn’t seem like much time but you can see how quickly it can add up.

Course Builders
There is a group of folks that set the course along with the judges.  If they ask for help, help out.  Otherwise; let them do what they do.  Unlike a normal weekend, we limit the helpers so that we can stay on task.

Hospitality
I often forget to tell workers that there is a hospitality area with snacks and drinks for volunteers.  Karen Merriman does a wonderful job of stocking it and doing the shopping.

Volunteer Jobs
These are the jobs where we need volunteers.  Your reward is helping Champs happen.  We can’t do it without your help.  To show appreciation to our volunteers, we offer a hospitality area and an opportunity to win raffle prizes.

Box Manager
Once the Gate Steward sends you into the arena you begin your journey through the starting “chute” which consists of a series of curtains that lead you up to the start line.  The starting chute is divided by curtains into three separate areas/boxes.
•   In the first box there is a warm up jump, and you are permitted to have non-squeaking toys and treats.  Treats and toys should be in a container when given to the Leash Runner.  The Box Manager will call you and send you from this box.  Please follow their instructions to keep things flowing.
•   In the Second Box, you are permitted to have a non-squeaking toys and treats; however, when you are called to the third box you must surrender these items, along with any other items (hat, jacket, etc. that you don’t want to take to the ring) to the Leash Runner.  Once again, follow the directions of the Box Manager.
•   In the third box it is just you and your leashed dog (no leash tugging is allowed).  No toys or treats permitted.  Advance forward when the Starter or Box Manager calls you to the line.  Your leash remains on your dog; this is the time to do your set routine in anticipation of the Starter saying “Good Luck”.

Leash Runners
This is an interesting job.  You will be one of several people moving leashes and handler belongings to the finish line.  Normally we have 1 or 2 people taking treats/toys (and who knows what else) from the exhibitor.  The Starter will hand you the leash and walk it part way across the ring to another leash runner.  They take it to a leash runner on the other side of the curtain, forming the exit chute.  The person on the outside of the curtain hands the leash to person as they finish their run.  The toys/treats are placed on a chair in the exit chute.

Ring Crew
These are the best seats in the house, just like a typical trial weekend.  Responsibilities include setting bars, tunnels and any other course maintenance.  One very important request, if you are going to set a bar, reset a tunnel, rake the weaves or anything else; please stand up next to your chair as the team is running away from you or finishing up.  Sometimes I miss a knocked bar or don’t see that a tunnel needs to be fixed, if there is something you need to fix and you are standing it lets the Starter know you are intending to go on course.  This will lessen the chance of the Starter saying “Good Luck” and then having someone walk onto the course to fix something.  As ring crew please turn off your cell phones so you can watch the awesome runs, and see that knocked bar and do not distract the team on course by reflecting light or making sounds.

Tim Spring
Tim Spring
If you aren't having fun you're not playing NADAC!

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Re: Jobs at Champs, your chance to help make it happen -- Some good info too.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
Already volunteered, but you know me, I'll help any time you need me!
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:13:45 PM »
Did an email already go out about volunteering?  If so, I haven't received it.
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
I got an email directly from Audrey.  Check your spam folder?
-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

aprweber

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
I will leash run! I am a veteran handler running a vet dog at 12". Sign me up, please.

April Weber
April Weber

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »
What an awesome breakdown of all the people needed to make this event happen. Thanks!

I'll be checking to see if a substitute purple-hat-wearer is needed!

See you soon!

Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman
Avian Researcher At Large

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
2016 NADAC Championships
South Jordan, Utah

Volunteering:
We love having volunteers; we couldn’t do this without you.  Thank you to everyone who has signed up to help.  The Worker’s Schedule will be posted each morning near the Gate Sheets.  Be sure to take a moment each day to check when/if you are scheduled to work.  If you cannot work when scheduled or if there is a conflict, see if a friend can take your place.  If not, just let me (Tim Spring, the Man in the Purple Hat) know.  A lot of people wait until they arrive at Champs to volunteer and tell me to call them if needed.  Unfortunately, so much is going on I can’t remember who said they would be willing or where to find them.  There are times when we call for extra helpers so if you are available please come down and help.

There will be a Volunteer Raffle with some cool prizes, the only way to enter is by volunteering.  Becky Spring makes sure there are a lot of purple prizes and she welcomes other raffle donations. 

ASSIGNED JOBS
Scoring
LeeAnne McAdams and Becky Spring are dedicated to scoring.  Chris and Sharon Nelson oversee and compile scores throughout Champs.  You don’t see these folks a lot because they work long and hard to get it right.  If you have any questions about scoring do not ask those dedicated to scoring.  Complete an inquiry form with your issue/concern (found by the trophy table).  The scoring team addresses these as quickly as possible and the form will be returned to the drop-off location with an explanation and/or correction.

Judges
I’m not sure how they do it.  You may see judges positioned in the stands, on the floor or in the rafters.  They watch/judge runs from start to finish each day.  Please let the judges focus on the task at hand and don’t go up to say hi.  If you see an issue on the course let them know, but try to do it between runs.

Ribbons
After each round, scores are calculated and checked.  The results are sent to the Ribbon Area, and the ribbons are placed on the boards.  This will be done as quickly as possible.  There are some things you can do to help.  Make sure you pick-up your ribbons after each round.  Once ribbons are picked up, they can get ready for the next round.  Leave the card with your dog’s name on the board until the end of Champs.  Marj Vincent and Jeannie Biggers usually handle ribbons, and a lot of other tasks as well.  If they ask for help, give them a hand; otherwise please let them do what they do so well.

Announcer
Arlene Courtney does a great job of keeping people informed throughout the day/night, calling for volunteers, pumping up the crowd, introducing the teams on the course and commenting during their runs.

Gate
The Gate is normally managed by Blair Bloxham or a NADAC judge.  They will get you in line and ready to start up the chute, where you advance to the start line.  Gate Sheets will be posted in the morning, and the run order does not change during the day.  Each day the order changes slightly in that each group rotates through the order.  Your order within the group doesn’t change.  You will follow the same person unless there is a need for a change, which is rare.  It is up to you to get to the gate at the appropriate time.  There should not be more than 4 or 5 dogs waiting to line up so don’t congregate around the gate.  Remember to give your fellow exhibitors room.  The site is large and you can be near without standing at the door.

Starter
This is normally me (Tim Spring), a NADAC judge or someone designated by Sharon/Chris.  This person will be the one to give you the “Good Luck” to start your run, just like the judge on a normal trial weekend.  The Starter and the Box Manager will try to get you out on the course and ready to go before the previous dog is finished running.  As in a normal weekend the leash does not come off until the “Good Luck”.  Any other rituals you have need to be completed so you can start after the “Good Luck”.  Don’t stress yourself out but don’t dawdle either.  An extra 10 seconds per run for 250 runs is 41 minutes of extra time or 82 minutes for the day.  Ten seconds doesn’t seem like much time but you can see how quickly it can add up.

Course Builders
There is a group of folks that set the course along with the judges.  If they ask for help, help out.  Otherwise; let them do what they do.  Unlike a normal weekend, we limit the helpers so that we can stay on task.

Hospitality
I often forget to tell workers that there is a hospitality area with snacks and drinks for volunteers.  Karen Merriman does a wonderful job of stocking it and doing the shopping.

Volunteer Jobs
These are the jobs where we need volunteers.  Your reward is helping Champs happen.  We can’t do it without your help.  To show appreciation to our volunteers, we offer a hospitality area and an opportunity to win raffle prizes.

Box Manager
Once the Gate Steward sends you into the arena you begin your journey through the starting “chute” which consists of a series of curtains that lead you up to the start line.  The starting chute is divided by curtains into three separate areas/boxes.
•   In the first box there is a warm up jump, and you are permitted to have non-squeaking toys and treats.  Treats and toys should be in a container when given to the Leash Runner.  The Box Manager will call you and send you from this box.  Please follow their instructions to keep things flowing.
•   In the Second Box, you are permitted to have a non-squeaking toys and treats; however, when you are called to the third box you must surrender these items, along with any other items (hat, jacket, etc. that you don’t want to take to the ring) to the Leash Runner.  Once again, follow the directions of the Box Manager.
•   In the third box it is just you and your leashed dog (no leash tugging is allowed).  No toys or treats permitted.  Advance forward when the Starter or Box Manager calls you to the line.  Your leash remains on your dog; this is the time to do your set routine in anticipation of the Starter saying “Good Luck”.

Leash Runners
This is an interesting job.  You will be one of several people moving leashes and handler belongings to the finish line.  Normally we have 1 or 2 people taking treats/toys (and who knows what else) from the exhibitor.  The Starter will hand you the leash and walk it part way across the ring to another leash runner.  They take it to a leash runner on the other side of the curtain, forming the exit chute.  The person on the outside of the curtain hands the leash to person as they finish their run.  The toys/treats are placed on a chair in the exit chute.

Ring Crew
These are the best seats in the house, just like a typical trial weekend.  Responsibilities include setting bars, tunnels and any other course maintenance.  One very important request, if you are going to set a bar, reset a tunnel, rake the weaves or anything else; please stand up next to your chair as the team is running away from you or finishing up.  Sometimes I miss a knocked bar or don’t see that a tunnel needs to be fixed, if there is something you need to fix and you are standing it lets the Starter know you are intending to go on course.  This will lessen the chance of the Starter saying “Good Luck” and then having someone walk onto the course to fix something.  As ring crew please turn off your cell phones so you can watch the awesome runs, and see that knocked bar and do not distract the team on course by reflecting light or making sounds.

Tim Spring

Let's not forget Becky Woodruff, who makes everything "happen" at the champs!!  She rarely gets to sleep either, making sure everything is lined out and ready for the next step.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

SpringCrew

• NADAC Addict
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
How in the heck did I forget to mention Becky?  :o  I'm an idiot.  She does so much of the prep work, helps with scoring, handles the exhibitor bag and oh so much more.  Please forgive me Becky.
Tim Spring
If you aren't having fun you're not playing NADAC!