Author Topic: Sharon's 2017 Seminars  (Read 5916 times)

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Sharon's 2017 Seminars
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 06:18:29 AM »
Hi Amy!
If you can go, GO!!!!  Working with Sharon, or watching her work with other people and dogs, is really special, and the opportunity doesn't happen a lot.
In general, a seminar is all day class (for as many days as the seminar is).  There will be talking, explaining, theorizing, problem solving, but also working dogs, often sequences, occasionally longer parts of courses, with the instructor helping to work through your issues on that particular concept (if you have any...and if you don't, if the sequence fits you to a T, they'll often tweak it so it Does become a challenge, so that you still learn something, because that's the whole point!) Seeing the problems that others bring can be at least as useful, if not more so, than working on your own issues, too, especially if you have any "performance anxiety" because you can actual WATCH the evolution of a solution.  And Sharon's seminars are always about so much more than just agility, touching on dog (and people) psychology, behavior, relationships, the list goes on, while making you THINK you're simply doing agility :-)
Usually there are the more expensive working spots, where you bring your dog and have the opportunity to work them (it will usually be with everyone else watching, so can be scary initially, but I promise that these people will be rooting for you and your dog and thrilled with the successes you'll have!).  Then there are auditing spots, where you are simply a student/observer. You can ask questions and be a full "verbal" participant, but you won't be working your dog. If you were to bring a friend, they would need to pay the auditor fee, too.  Even though they may not feel they are a "participant," they are there learning, if they're paying ANY attention at all, from the instructor. I have three times taken non agility friends (who did have dogs) to agility seminars, when they were curious and willing to pay the auditing charge and they came away amazed, feeling they learned a lot, and one now, just a few years later, does agility and has gone to Champs and the most recent one is about ready to dip her toe into the agility pool with her young dog.
So again, go if you can.  As an auditor, as a working student, just go. And if you want a working spot, don't waffle about it, as Sharon's seminars fill FAST!
Vicki Storrs
Vicki Storrs

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »
Maybe a non working spot then. Edraith cannot work in a ring off lead with 15 other dogs too, our focus is nowhere near that good. She wont work with me if there are other dogs running around to play with.  I know thats the goal for focus but we arent there yet. If it was alone in a fenced area thats  okay but not in a huge group like that!

When will prices be released? Host hotel?
Edit: oops i see sharons posted was edited and price is there. :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 07:29:17 AM by Edraith »
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

DebbieClark

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
You only work one at a time, you will not have any other dogs out when it is your turn.  At the 2 seminars I have been to our dogs are crated, in a car or in x-pens.

Hope that helps.

Debbie Clark
Debbie 
Roxie ICC, IAC
Tre

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 06:23:50 AM »
Amy,  If you have never been to a seminar, I would suggest an auditing spot.  You can learn so much for listening, watching, and taking notes while auditing.  Also, if you don't have a dog with you, you are not distracted by worrying about your dog --- are they comfortable in their crate; do they need to go outside to potty; are they hot/cold; do they have water, etc., etc., etc.  You can focus entirely on the seminar content and take lots and lots of notes so you can go home and work on the exercises.  Attending a Sharon Nelson seminar is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I highly encourage you to audit both days. 

I know you found the seminar prices, however, to answer your other question, there is no host hotel.  There are several nice hotels in Prattville which is about 10 miles from the arena as well as tons of eating places for after the seminar.  The arena is in the middle of nowhere so you will need to stay in Prattville or Montgomery (only about 20 miles from arena).  I will be happy to answer any questions you have about accommodations and such if I can. 

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 06:51:32 AM »
I would agree with Sara on auditing for the first seminar you attend.  We have also found that many first timers don't really understand the amount of down time for their dog at a seminar.  They come expecting to work a lot more than they actually get to which can make a first seminar a little frustrating for them.

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
Goodto know its one at a time. My very limited experience in group agility classes is as many as four dogs working off lead same field and as many as eight additional on field leashed. It was a bit chaotic I thought for newb dogs especially (first class first day even). I get that good of focus is a goal but i felt it was too much for begineers especially first timers. Glad to know im not mad, lol.

Im trying to find a friend to go with me to audit :)
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi Sharon,

Could you please put Rumor & I down for a working spot in AL??!! Hoping that there is still room!!

Thanks in advance!

Bernie & RUMOR
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2016, 06:41:20 AM »
Hi Sharon,

Could you please put Rumor & I down for a working spot in AL??!! Hoping that there is still room!!

Thanks in advance!

Bernie & RUMOR

YIPPEE!!!!!  I can't wait to see you again.  Come join the fun in Alabama!!!!

Sara
The Bridge Creek Boys

Bernie Doyle

• Judge
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »
Sara,

Do you have any recommendations for a dog friendly hotel with good pricing??

Thanks in advance!!

Bernie & RUMOR 🐾🐾
Bernie Doyle
Joliet,IL

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 06:45:43 AM »
Bernie,  The LaQuinta in Prattville is a very dog-friendly hotel, however, it is a little pricey.  There are 2 LaQuintas in Montgomery which are only about 20-25 minutes from the show site with rates that are much more reasonable.  Other hotels in Prattville you might check with are Key West Inn (listed in Millbrook) and Super 8.  I think both of those charge a dog fee, but their rates are more reasonable.  Hope that helps.  I look forward to seeing you in February!!!

Sara
The Bridge Creek Boys

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
Hi, Group.
    For the upcoming Arizona, Alabama and Florida seminars in Feb-Mar here is the current standings:

Alabama is full at this time.  It is possible that someone who emailed a reservation might not pay their deposit and a spot will open up.  But if not, it is full.

Phoenix has 3-4 spots in Novice and 1-2 in advanced.

I might not be doing Florida if no more interest is shown, as there aren't enough reservations to make a commitment.

I have requests that will fill in southern California and Reno, NV, and Alberta, Canada.  I will announce when those dates are confirmed.

Thanks for the rapid response from Arizona, Alabama, Alberta, SoCal and Nevada!!  Those filled fast or will fill once I announce dates!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sandy Langan

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2016, 08:22:53 PM »
Sharon, We were waiting for you to tell us for sure Florida was a go. Jonelle Wolf, Mary Jo Thompson and myself are interested and would attend. Do you need us to send a deposit ? Please advise .

Sandy Langan

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
Wanted to ask you about this at champs but never found a time when you weren't busy and available to talk. I'm out of town for the Alabama dates and was so happy I could get to see you in Florida. Hope it still happens. Sandy Langan

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
Sharon, We were waiting for you to tell us for sure Florida was a go. Jonelle Wolf, Mary Jo Thompson and myself are interested and would attend. Do you need us to send a deposit ? Please advise .

No deposit needed!  Just interest expressed is good.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »
Hi Sharon,

Thanks in advance!

Bernie & RUMOR

Done!
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility