Author Topic: Illinois fairgrounds  (Read 6563 times)

Sarah Fix

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Illinois fairgrounds
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
Western North Carolina Agricultural Center - many Nationals have been held there. Lots of camping, 600+ stalls, big arena, good flooring, plenty of seating, adjacent area for open crating or stalls for crating. Near Asheville - plenty of hotels, near the airport, good restaurants. Not far from I-26 and I-40 interchange. Blue Ridge Parkway - lots of tourist stuff.  Blue Grass Music, Mountain Crafts...

http://www.wncagcenter.org/
Sarah Fix
Jinks and Boogie

ampezz

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
My personal request  - I would request whatever venue be a cool temperature environment. We don't do well in heat, especially the long days of Champs.  Whether that means a little northeast or a venue with AC...either way. Good luck on the search. We're hoping to be there next year.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
The Oklahoma place that Robin asked for is called the Lazy E Arena:

http://www.lazye.com/home.asp

There was a big NADAC show there years ago (back when we could fill multi-ring shows).  We haven't been back there, probably because of the cost and the fact that shows rarely get even close to filling now.  It was a huge arena.

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

Smitty

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
Several others on FB and on here also have suggested Champions Center in Springfield, OH. We did the CPE nationals there this past June and it was very nice! Nice indoor dirt arena, covered outdoor dirt pavillion, lots of parking, plenty of RV parking, golf cart rentals available, nice concessions, great stalls for crating!

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »

Thank you Amy.   :D

Kyk9s

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 02:46:19 PM »
What about the Alltech arena at the KY horse park?  I can look into availability.

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • Agility Gypsy
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 03:54:26 PM »
Hi Folks,
NADAC sure appreciates all the suggestions for the 2017 Champs sites. Like some say....it takes a Village...

I do think it would help NADAC, if everyone did a bit of research prior to offering suggestions. I think the first thing would be to see if any of the dates at the end of Sept are even available for the suggested site. There is some leeway with dates, like last week in Sept thru the first week of Oct....which seems to be the recent time frame.

I know it would help also, if you could list the assets (ring size, description of crating area, seating, dates available etc) about each site you suggest in your post. So at a glance, the office can quickly decide to investigate your suggestion.

I know we had this same discussion back in April, and I have copied below some of the criteria needed for a NADAC CHAMPS.

We need a minimum of a clear span area of 125x300 arena floor, with raised seating, a large vendor area, and a good crating area.  Plus we need at least 125-150 RV spots with electric hookups as a minimum.

The crating area would need to be in another building or a separate enclosed area attached to the arena building.  I noticed some of the sites have stalls or open space suitable for crating within the same building as the arena and bleachers.....BUT....because each run is videoed by Three Pines Video, there can not be any other dogs barking, screaming or howling heard during the runs. And trust me, this happens all day long in the crating areas. I would hate to have a run ruined by another person's dog upsetting the dog in the ring or listen to a dog screaming because an owner took his second dog out, on my personal video.
NADAC tries to find locations where dogs can be crated indoors in another building. At Gillette there was an attached enclosed building with concrete floor space (with power) that worked great. Easy access to the arena but dogs were not heard out in the ring. At Illinois, the dogs were crated indoors in the horse stalls across the driveway from the arena.  In Utah, the dogs are crated in the stalls located next to the arena across the driveway, even though not fully enclosed in a building...not the best scenario but it worked okay.

There also needs to be an area for the vendors with power available.  Plus room for the awards/ribbon wall area (20'x30' space) and an area for the huge raffle that takes place (usually 12-15 tables are used for the raffle, a 15 x 30' area?), along with the works raffle and hospitality area. Ultimately, the vendors, awards and raffle area would like to be on concrete vs dirt. Dirt gets into and on everything! But if dirt is the only option, then we live with it!  It's not a deal breaker, just a desired wish.....
Arenas with upper mezzanine space similar to South Jordan Utah is the ultimate. So everyone working the raffle tables, and vendors can also watch their friends run.

Another requirement would be to have some grass available to potty dogs or exercise them.  The larger the better since this is going to be a week long event. If the grass area is too small, the 300+ attending dogs will destroy it and it will become a cesspool.

A food vendor on site is also a good thing!!

Also are there restaurants, and hotels nearby that take dogs and an airport within a reasonable driving distance.

All suggestions are appreciated!!
Marj Vincent
Volt, Scotty & Java

Life's motto: "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!"

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »
Hi Folks,
NADAC sure appreciates all the suggestions for the 2017 Champs sites. Like some say....it takes a Village...

I do think it would help NADAC, if everyone did a bit of research prior to offering suggestions. I think the first thing would be to see if any of the dates at the end of Sept are even available for the suggested site. There is some leeway with dates, like last week in Sept thru the first week of Oct....which seems to be the recent time frame.

I know it would help also, if you could list the assets (ring size, description of crating area, seating, dates available etc) about each site you suggest in your post. So at a glance, the office can quickly decide to investigate your suggestion.

I know we had this same discussion back in April, and I have copied below some of the criteria needed for a NADAC CHAMPS.

We need a minimum of a clear span area of 125x300 arena floor, with raised seating, a large vendor area, and a good crating area.  Plus we need at least 125-150 RV spots with electric hookups as a minimum.

The crating area would need to be in another building or a separate enclosed area attached to the arena building.  I noticed some of the sites have stalls or open space suitable for crating within the same building as the arena and bleachers.....BUT....because each run is videoed by Three Pines Video, there can not be any other dogs barking, screaming or howling heard during the runs. And trust me, this happens all day long in the crating areas. I would hate to have a run ruined by another person's dog upsetting the dog in the ring or listen to a dog screaming because an owner took his second dog out, on my personal video.
NADAC tries to find locations where dogs can be crated indoors in another building. At Gillette there was an attached enclosed building with concrete floor space (with power) that worked great. Easy access to the arena but dogs were not heard out in the ring. At Illinois, the dogs were crated indoors in the horse stalls across the driveway from the arena.  In Utah, the dogs are crated in the stalls located next to the arena across the driveway, even though not fully enclosed in a building...not the best scenario but it worked okay.

There also needs to be an area for the vendors with power available.  Plus room for the awards/ribbon wall area (20'x30' space) and an area for the huge raffle that takes place (usually 12-15 tables are used for the raffle, a 15 x 30' area?), along with the works raffle and hospitality area. Ultimately, the vendors, awards and raffle area would like to be on concrete vs dirt. Dirt gets into and on everything! But if dirt is the only option, then we live with it!  It's not a deal breaker, just a desired wish.....
Arenas with upper mezzanine space similar to South Jordan Utah is the ultimate. So everyone working the raffle tables, and vendors can also watch their friends run.

Another requirement would be to have some grass available to potty dogs or exercise them.  The larger the better since this is going to be a week long event. If the grass area is too small, the 300+ attending dogs will destroy it and it will become a cesspool.

A food vendor on site is also a good thing!!

Also are there restaurants, and hotels nearby that take dogs and an airport within a reasonable driving distance.

All suggestions are appreciated!!

Thank you Marj!

In the small amount of time I have available lately I have checked out a couple of the suggested sites.  None have the dates available and most are too small.  We do not run in the same sized ring as what works for AKC or CPE.  Just a different venue with a different set of criteria.  Some have just a roofed area for crating.

Also Springfield is still begging for us to stay there.  They have promised to enclose the pavilion if needed.  They have called every day trying to get us to stay there and are updating us with the planning committee meetings and such.  I don't necessarily trust "planned" construction promises, but Springfield isn't totally out yet.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 04:58:16 AM »
Amy,

The reason there have been no trials in the Lazy E Arena in Oklahoma is they refuse to allow dogs in there anymore.  It's a horse arena and they don't allow dogs now.  It is a beautiful arena, though! 
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

Kyk9s

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:48 AM »
Well crud Alltech in Lexington KY already booked with horse shows. FINGERS AND PAWS CROSSED THAT SPRINGFIELD STAYS A GO

Wild Terriers

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
Well, I sure hope that if we get to stay in Springfield that they do something for NADAC this year and stop nickel and diming you to death!!! 

Karen
Karen and the Wild Terriers

Marsha01

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 03:35:20 PM »
Probably not close enough, but the Virginia Horse Center, appears to have everything requested. http://www.horsecenter.org/Facility-Info/Anderson-Coliseum.aspx  ---  Was not able to reach anyone to see about dates since it is Friday night.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
Probably not close enough, but the Virginia Horse Center, appears to have everything requested. http://www.horsecenter.org/Facility-Info/Anderson-Coliseum.aspx  ---  Was not able to reach anyone to see about dates since it is Friday night.

That is a great site!  I have tried them many times in the past 15 years and they have never had the end-Sept, first of Oct available.  Maybe 2017 could be the year!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

MichelleWhall

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
I really hope that we do not end up in a closed in Pavilion in Springfield. I cannot imagine having championships run there. I hate to say it but if it ends up being the Pavilion I think there are several of us from the Northeast that probably will not make the trip.

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
I really hope that we do not end up in a closed in Pavilion in Springfield. I cannot imagine having championships run there. I hate to say it but if it ends up being the Pavilion I think there are several of us from the Northeast that probably will not make the trip.

Maybe you should qualify this with several people from NEW ENGLAND  - bc NY, NJ and PA  people may not share your opinions

Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"