Author Topic: Barrel Dimensions  (Read 2075 times)

JMDATX

Barrel Dimensions
« on: November 03, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »
Hi,

The new rule book states that:  Barrels should be 23- 27 in diameter and not less than 28 tall

The TS book (and past forum posts) say that legal barrel dimensions are:  22-28 across and 24-42 high

The dimensions in the new rule book eliminates all the 'ecobins' and pop up barrels (except Seventeen Flat Barrels) that I am able to find, including those that have been been purchased and in use for quite some time by many clubs.   :(

Which dimensions are correct/legal?

Thank you!

Jan

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Barrel Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »
Hi,

The new rule book states that:  Barrels should be 23- 27 in diameter and not less than 28 tall

The TS book (and past forum posts) say that legal barrel dimensions are:  22-28 across and 24-42 high

The dimensions in the new rule book eliminates all the 'ecobins' and pop up barrels (except Seventeen Flat Barrels) that I am able to find, including those that have been been purchased and in use for quite some time by many clubs.   :(

Thank you!

Jan

I guess I might be incorrect, but it would seem reasonable to think that the most recent document would be the one to follow.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:48:40 PM »
Hi,

Thank you!

Jan

I will check it out.  It shouldn't be a problem as I know there haven't been any discussions about changing any requirements.

The regs in the rulebook seem to cover every barrel I have seen in use.  Are the ones being used that are smaller ok in a breeze?

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

JMDATX

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
The ones in use in my area, and which my club has already invested in, are 28x28. 

I was looking around for a less expensive alternative to the ones we already have because we need to purchase a couple more for our upcoming trial.  I ran across this one, which was promising (and $25 less per barrel): 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7SU3I/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000E7SU3I&pd_rd_r=MW7KK0HW9DX2BZJZJ77E&pd_rd_w=sImUs&pd_rd_wg=slVrL&psc=1&refRID=MW7KK0HW9DX2BZJZJ77E

But when I looked up the specs in the new rule book, I discovered that the ones we already have are now out of spec as well. 

I don't know about holding up in breezy conditions.  Most of our trials are in arenas that are mostly protected from the elements.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:31:41 PM »
Hi,

Thank you!

Jan

The Fiskars Compost Bins our club bought (see link belwo) are also out of these dimensions (28" diameter).  Hoping this is just a typing error.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-gallon-Eco-Compost-Bin/dp/B004S0PH7E/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1478222857&sr=1-1&keywords=fiskars+compost+bin

I know my club will not authorize purchase of the 17 Flat barrels due to their cost.

Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
The ones in use in my area, and which my club has already invested in, are 28x28. 

I was looking around for a less expensive alternative to the ones we already have because we need to purchase a couple more for our upcoming trial.  I ran across this one, which was promising (and $25 less per barrel): 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7SU3I/ref=pd_sbs_86_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000E7SU3I&pd_rd_r=MW7KK0HW9DX2BZJZJ77E&pd_rd_w=sImUs&pd_rd_wg=slVrL&psc=1&refRID=MW7KK0HW9DX2BZJZJ77E

But when I looked up the specs in the new rule book, I discovered that the ones we already have are now out of spec as well. 

I don't know about holding up in breezy conditions.  Most of our trials are in arenas that are mostly protected from the elements.

28x28 are great!  Where did you get those?

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 09:48:01 PM »
Hi,

Thank you!

Jan

The Fiskars Compost Bins our club bought (see link belwo) are also out of these dimensions (28" diameter).  Hoping this is just a typing error.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-gallon-Eco-Compost-Bin/dp/B004S0PH7E/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1478222857&sr=1-1&keywords=fiskars+compost+bin

I know my club will not authorize purchase of the 17 Flat barrels due to their cost.

Linda

My brand new Fiskars are the same as I have always bought and they say 27" on them.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 09:49:55 PM »

28x28 are great!  Where did you get those?

Sharon

If you are using Fiskar's they are awesome and the best out there.  We will definitely allow those and will adjust to allow that!  It is what I have also!

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

JMDATX

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 06:03:04 AM »
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  We have the Fiskars and need to get a couple more for barrelers.  Our club equipment manager would not be happy with me if we had to replace the Fiskars in addition to getting a couple more barrels. 

Sandy Langan

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 07:08:03 AM »
Yes those are what our club has purchased also . Glad they will work. Sandy Langan

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 07:33:18 AM »
If you are thinking about buying the competition type barrels, Teskeys Saddle Shop has them on sale right now for 3 barrels at $119.95.  This is the link:

http://www.teskeys.com/tight-turn-flex-barrels.html

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

Roger Coor

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:42 AM »
The barrels I have seen lately have been okay.  I am guessing an inch either way in diameter would be hardly noticed and would work.  What I have seen a couple of times are barrels that are too short where a taller dog might think it is more appropriate to shorten the path and just jump over it.