Author Topic: 2017 Championships Qualifications Calendar and Questions  (Read 1778 times)

Tabathalynn

2017 Championships Qualifications Calendar and Questions
« on: December 03, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Hi. I have never been to Champs but it is my goal to go this year. I've seen the requirements to go but was wondering the date that the points I earn started to go towards qualifiyng for 2017 Champs. I also am wondering when the premium normally comes out and what the difference is between the pre trial and trial. Is the Pretrial for pre-elite Champs enteries and the trial for elite? Or are they separate trials altogether?
Thanks!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: 2017 Championships Qualifications Calendar and Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 08:47:00 PM »
The qualifying period is August 1st to August 1st.

Premium normally comes out around May.  We'll get it out a little earlier this year though.

The pre trial is basically a warm up for the big event.   It's open to all dogs, including dogs not entered in Champs.  Just like a trial :)

Tabathalynn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:11:18 AM »
Thanks for the clarification! Do most participate in the pre-trial? If I am entered in both, will I be running my dog all week? Or are there elimination rounds. Sorry for all of the questions,  just trying to better understand how it works so that I can properly plan vacation time around this :) Thanks again.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
No worries!  Questions are great :)

You can think of the pre-trial as a regular trial.  So if you enter everything in the pre-trial you would be running all of them.

For the main event of Champs, Thursday through Sunday you are guaranteed to run 7 rounds, but the 8th and final round you only get in to if you are in the top 33% of your group :)

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
I'm NOT a Champs pro--which makes it easy to remember the unknown of going the first time. I didn't do any pre Champs runs the first time, was worried about wearing out my dog, plus it was hard enough to get away for the Champs days.  Last time I entered a few classes on Wednesday before Champs. I had two dogs, one high energy one low. So that is one factor to consider when deciding whether to participate in pre Champs (which pretty much runs just like. Regular trial day) and whether to do some or all runs. Equally important, how does your dog travel and deal with a very untypical schedule for a week?  During Champs most of us have our dogs in stalls. If you plan to volunteer or watch, they are going to be left alone in the stall for long stretches of time. Does your dog settle and relax or worry/watch/listen for you to come back (or worse, bark)? Champs days run early--with not to miss briefing and walk thrus--just done once first thing in the morning for ALL the morning runs so you HAVE to be there--starting at 7, you'll probably be arriving 6-6:30 to get your dog walked and settled, so keep backing that up--when will you be leaving your motel, feeding your dogs/you breakfast, getting up. In other words, Early mornings, probably not a typical start to the day for the dogs.  And you'll be doing that for the week.  And the days are Long, you might be running late (8-9 p.m.) so the dogs may be eating dinner on site or even later back at the motel. Some dogs have no problem with this, but even with only two runs a day during Champs, for a lot of dogs (and people) it is very exhausting. So whether to participate or not, or how many runs to do in pre Champs is definitely an individual decision.  I may have underscheduled my dogs, but on Sunday they still were bouncing and happy (I on the other hand was happy, but had lost a lot of bounce :-).
With all that, I ENTHUSIASTICALLY recommend going if you can!!!!
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:39:49 PM »
I've been to Champs two years (2014 and 2016) and it's SO MUCH FUN. But as the person before me said... long, tiring days. My dogs had no issues though, during Champs days they only run twice, and they're very good about hanging around in their xpen in the stall no worries (and I do take them for walks and let them run in the grass fields).

As for the Pre Champs, as said, it's just a regular trial, really. It was recomended to me when I went the first time to at least enter some runs in it, even if just one day. I liked that advice. It allows you and your dogs to get used to the arena, and to get out some stress/worry you might feel being at the big event. Because of my work schedule, I can't leave until Tuesday (and takes a full day of travel), so I just enter the one day, Wednesday, of the pre trial. I've only trialed one dog so far (but both times I brought two other young dogs who accompany me whenever they can), and he had no issues with a full day of pre trial the day prior, and then the Champs runs. I know one friend did one or two days of pre trial, but took the day off before Champs (so ran Mon/Tues, took day off Weds, then started Champs Thurs) and that seemed like a nice idea, if you can get there before I can ;)

I hope you get to go, and have as much fun as I have! I'm planning on 2-3 dogs in 2017 if I can.
Jessi Zamboni

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
I have gone to 3 Champs now.  I started with 1 dog, upped to 2 the next time and last time it was 3 dogs.  I will probably do 3 again this time around.  As for pre-Champs, I generally only do 1 or 2 rounds on Wednesday.  I get to the facility on Tuesday and spend the night in the hotel.  Then I run on Wednesday just to get the dogs doing something.  I only do 1 or 2 events depending on the dog, and it is always one of their more favorite events.  I don't do something they don't like even if I need the Q's  I usually don't trial for a few weeks before Champs, so it gets them going.  Plus, it gets them used to being at the facility, the crating area, etc.  It also gives me plenty of time to set up my crating area. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso