Author Topic: leash runner at Champs  (Read 1159 times)

giddyup

leash runner at Champs
« on: January 07, 2017, 10:12:13 AM »
Hi,  Was just wondering how this issue is addressed at Champs.  I have watched some videos of Nadac Champs and I see that you seem to start running from down a "chute" into the course.  I'm one of those people who prefer to have my leash left on the ground at the end of the course and not have a leash runner walk up to me with my leash.  (although very friendly, my dogs may tend to jump on the leash runner out of the excitement from just finishing a course and in anticipation of getting their treats).  Since I will not be able to see the leash runner from where I am starting, how can I indicate that I would like my leash left on the ground?  (I would guess that I'm not the only person who might want to know this answer) 
Thanks!
Jill

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Re: leash runner at Champs
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
Hi,  Was just wondering how this issue is addressed at Champs.  I have watched some videos of Nadac Champs and I see that you seem to start running from down a "chute" into the course.  I'm one of those people who prefer to have my leash left on the ground at the end of the course and not have a leash runner walk up to me with my leash.  (although very friendly, my dogs may tend to jump on the leash runner out of the excitement from just finishing a course and in anticipation of getting their treats).  Since I will not be able to see the leash runner from where I am starting, how can I indicate that I would like my leash left on the ground?  (I would guess that I'm not the only person who might want to know this answer) 
Thanks!
Jill
Your leash and treats/toy will be carried across the back of the ring area and placed on a chair at the finish shute, so you have no worries.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 11:50:33 AM »
Champs is the same as a "normal" NADAC trial - you'll be told "Good Luck" when you can remove your leash. The "Good Luck" comes from someone who is making sure the course is ready for you and happens to be standing right near to where you leave your dog (instead of the judge out on the course somewhere). It's usually the wonderful Tim Spring  ;D (who mans this position for loooong periods of time!) or sometimes it's a judge who fills in for Tim. 

There's no one in the leash up area by the time you and your dog get to the finish line - you can quickly leash up, hug and treat your dog without folks/dogs around.  ;D

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

giddyup

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
Thanks Linda & Kyle. It's just that when I was watching some videos from Champs (random ones that I found on YouTube), there was someone who brought a leash out at the end of the run.

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
Thanks Linda & Kyle. It's just that when I was watching some videos from Champs (random ones that I found on YouTube), there was someone who brought a leash out at the end of the run.

I was a leash "runner" on the exit side several times and yes, I did carry the leash out to the handler.  But if they didn't want that all they did was tell the leash runner on the entry side to pass the info along and then I would leave it on the chair and be out of their way.  So, kind of just like a normal trial - handler can request "leash on the ground" except in this case it is usually leash on the chair.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

giddyup

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
Oh I see!  Then there's 2 leash runners?
Jill

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
Oh I see!  Then there's 2 leash runners?
Jill

Yes.  One takes up the leash (and treats) on the entry side and walks that stuff over to the leash runner on the exit side.  Lots of walking for that entry leash runner!  In fact there are usually 2 or 3 of them on the entry side and they take turns.  Only one leash runner on the exit side since they don't have to walk back and forth.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.