Author Topic: Upcoming changes to Hoopers and X-hoopers  (Read 10647 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Upcoming changes to Hoopers and X-hoopers
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »
Hi Chris, just a couple of comments and a question.

I thought the extreme Hoopers was an excellent distance challenge for those of us trying to expand our skills. I did think that novice was a little bit too hard sometimes, and perhaps needed to be made a little bit easier. I haven't seen it much, because it wasn't offered in our area. And that leads to my next comment. Some people are hesitant to jump on new things because they think that they will go away or be changed. So those of us who are often eager to try new things and see if they will work, won't get that because the new and different things in the future will not be available until it's certain it's not going to be changed or go away. The only other thought I had is that sometimes it's difficult on a limited budget to buy a new equipment if it is needed only to see that particular need for it go away.

I can't say I'm unhappy it's going away, but I can't say I'm happy either.

You said that the x pattern will still remain in the redesign of Hooper's courses. I'm assuming that means there will be no distance challenge. In other words, you can go in the areas in the x pattern that were prevented by the Gates or pens. Thanks for letting us know about the change!

There will be no distance test in the combined class.

This will be the only change for 2017. And most likely the only change in Classes for quite some time.  So folks can relax and settle in :)

One more question. Why is the change being made? Just curious. If you think it will open a whole new can of worms, you can reply privately.  😎

The earliest you will start seeing it is April.

April is when new trial applications will be required to have the combined class.

So it is also possible that you will see both classes for a few months following April as most of those premiums have already been approved and circulated.

Lisa Bonker In The Zone Agility

• Trial Secretary
    • In The Zone Agility
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
I am completely bummed about this change.   Hoopers will not be the same without the pens/gates.   Xhoopers is my favorite class.   I have done an Xhoopers session at almost all of my seminars last year and it was well received.  I think the Xpens really help some dogs get some distance.  Of course I can still do it, but many people won't be so receptive if it is not part of a current class.

Do you have an example of the course you have in mind for future hoopers??

While I understand some people were opposed to the gates/pens,  they always had the choice to enter or not.  It was not required for a NATCH- VNATCH.  If people wanted to do regular hoopers, they could do it VT or ask the clubs to add numbered hoopers.     I did not fill out the survey this year and now I wish I had and said I LOVE XHOOPERS.   As you know, people usually fill out surveys when they do not like something..not when they are happy. It would be nice to do a specific survey asking exhibitors what they think about Xhoopers and the change.   
Xhoopers is a large class at  all my trials.  Most people enter it and enjoy it.
Yes they can still enter it when it changes (If I decide to offer it) . but honestly,  I dont want a run  just a hoopers course and  I know others feel the same way.  I enjoyed the challenge of the barrier. (And yes I know I can handle it if there were gates..but not the same).

So is there anyway you would rethink this and allow clubs the choice what they want to offer??  Do  a specific survey and ask exhibitors what they think??

Be Well & Happy
In The Zone Agility
www.inthezoneagility.com
Agility and Conditioning Seminars/Online Training Classes

Jillhubb

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
I learned to really enjoy XHoopers ~ I'm sorry to see the challenge go away :( ~

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 03:44:50 PM »
While I understand some people were opposed to the gates/pens,  they always had the choice to enter or not.  It was not required for a NATCH- VNATCH.  If people wanted to do regular hoopers, they could do it VT or ask the clubs to add numbered hoopers. 

Until x-hoopers was made a requirement to attend Champs in 2017. Then we were not given a choice.

I like hoopers, even though I rarely saw it offered at the trials I attended up north. I literally never attended a trial with x-hoopers. I will support hoopers without the gates.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »
The Minnesota Mixed Breed Club offered Hoopers at 3 of the 4 trials we had last year. I rarely enter Hoopers at trials other than ours because I don't really care for it.  I have vouchers to pay for it at our trials.  I have really enjoyed X-Hoopers.  Without the distance requirement I think Hoopers is pretty boring.  Can you post a sample of what the new Hoopers will look like.  I was personally happy when I thought regular Hoopers was going to go away.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
I must agree that I am sad X-Hoopers is going away. My favorite Hoopers was Strategic but recently X-Hoopers is a close second. Do not really care for numbered Hoopers- running the hoops circle with gates/pens is great fun- numbered Hoopers not as much. Granted I always have fun running my dogs and this change will not change that but I will miss the hoop circle.

I really wanted to try the hoop circle built into Regular like I saw from 2016 Champs but I guess that is out as well
Mary P.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 04:31:49 PM »
I'll post a picture of the course ideas as April gets closer.

The sad truth is that entry numbers for X-Hoopers, Country wide, not just in a specific area are a third of the size of the next smallest class.

That's not good!   Most all of the classes are pretty even when it comes to the entry numbers.   But X-Hoopers falls very very far behind.

Cheryl Gilbert

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »
So very very glad this announcement came out before I ordered more xpens.  :-)   
Cheryl
Cheryl Gilbert with
Emmy and Allie
Rachel, Becky, Twinkles, Honey, Lucky, Wally, Benny and Daisy waiting on the other side....

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
I must agree that I am sad X-Hoopers is going away. My favorite Hoopers was Strategic but recently X-Hoopers is a close second. Do not really care for numbered Hoopers- running the hoops circle with gates/pens is great fun- numbered Hoopers not as much. Granted I always have fun running my dogs and this change will not change that but I will miss the hoop circle.

I really wanted to try the hoop circle built into Regular like I saw from 2016 Champs but I guess that is out as well

I would love that as well!

But the idea of us adding a new class, or changing a class that greatly right now would only deepen the 'nadac changes every year' sentiment that a lot of people have.  And we are working away from that.

Yes this is also a change.  But by the numbers it's a change that will go over well.   And after this one the classes won't be changing anytime soon, so we can stabilize a bit from the constant change stigma :)

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 05:14:10 PM »
I would love to see a sample hoppers course with the X hoop design in it.  I am not sure how it will be different from regular hoopers.  What should we be practicing?
Martha G.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
I would love to see a sample hoppers course with the X hoop design in it.  I am not sure how it will be different from regular hoopers.  What should we be practicing?

You won't need to practice anything specific beyond regular handling skills.

It will probably start to test more of the skills that Hoops really highlight, so pathword, turns, that sort of thing.

So just work on nice tight turns and good pathwork and you'll be good in Hoopers and most other classes as well :)

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
I'm bummed by this.  We finally got trials and people in our region to embrace X-Hoopers and everyone seems to love it.  Including me!  In fact, at our last trial, my dogs and I got to run Open X-Hoopers for the very first time and it was the first time they experienced the far get out straight line at the back and both did great!  My young dog blazed through the course and it was one of the biggest rushes I've had recently.  It was so much fun!!!  I was sold on that class and couldn't wait to do more.  The xpens/gates is what makes it fun and challenging.  Although it took a bit of time to set up the course (and memorize the long course patterns when walking), it was SO MUCH FUN!!!
Darn.  Guess I'm glad I have a few trials before then when I get to run it.  But, most likely will not enter regular Hoopers when it is gone.  I haven't run regular Hoopers for a few years now.  Like Lisa said, I think it is just not as fun without the gates.  :(
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
I think people might be like what the new class will have to offer.

It will be a nice blend of all the different hoopers we have had through the years, with the best traits from all of them

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »
Our club was going to offer it for the first time in May.  More would have been coming.  I guess I'll have to voice my opinion by not entering Hoopers anymore, or Barrelers either.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
Our club was going to offer it for the first time in May.  More would have been coming.  I guess I'll have to voice my opinion by not entering Hoopers anymore, or Barrelers either.

Gina

You definitely could!   But it wouldn't change this sadly.

The difference with those classes is that they are actually getting bigger.   Numbered Hoopers and even Barrelers, which is a surprise to me, have gotten larger over the years.  X-Hoopers has not.   It leveled out and the truth is that the same people who were entering it 4 years ago are the same people entering it today.  Which isn't growth.

A lot of people dislike barrelers, but more people are entering it than ever before. Which is why it stayed.  We aren't going to axe something that people are gaining interest in.