Author Topic: Upcoming changes to Hoopers and X-hoopers  (Read 10657 times)

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
Re: Upcoming changes to Hoopers and X-hoopers
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
my region has offered Barrelers for longer than XHoopers.  In my opinion, that is why Barrelers numbers are higher, at least in this region... clubs are JUST NOW starting to offer XHoopers out here, so you would have new increasing numbers coming in it.  I find more enjoy XHoopers than Barrelers.  It seems very accepted.  Most dogs do ok at it.  Only have seen a dog or two that was real confused.  I've not heard any negative comments about XHoopers the few times I've ran it at trials.
Just printed out the new U2KanDu premium.  At the top it reads "NEW:: 2 ROUNDS X-HOOPERS!"  This is only the 2nd trial they have offered it.  So, it is just now starting to get offered out here by the clubs.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:01:54 PM by Lorrie Stelz »
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 10, VersNATCH 8 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF O-HP-E XBR-E IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 4, VersNATCH 3, All Around NATCH BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

agilityschips

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 07:08:55 PM »
I will also miss X-hoopers. I called it the circle of ZOOM and my LBDs (aka Schipperkes) liked it too. It was challenging since my dogs couldn't see my feet.

We have enjoyed EVERY extreme game that came out - no matter how long we got to play it.

My questions are:
Will the points be combined automatically on the NADAC points page?
Do we need to request points to be combined from all of the "extinct" classes into "surviving" classes (X-chances, gamblers, gaters etc.)?

Love NADAC, Kathy Swan (WA state)

Brenda Nault

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »
Bummer going to  miss my favorited class but on the other hand hated hoopers so let's see what the new way is like???? When can we see some examples?
BRENDA NAULT

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2017, 09:20:37 PM »
I will also miss X-hoopers. I called it the circle of ZOOM and my LBDs (aka Schipperkes) liked it too. It was challenging since my dogs couldn't see my feet.

We have enjoyed EVERY extreme game that came out - no matter how long we got to play it.

My questions are:
Will the points be combined automatically on the NADAC points page?
Do we need to request points to be combined from all of the "extinct" classes into "surviving" classes (X-chances, gamblers, gaters etc.)?

Love NADAC, Kathy Swan (WA state)

The Hoopers point are going to automatically combine.

DeafSheltieMom

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Course builder
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 03:06:41 AM »
I'm going to miss the hoop circle... it is my dog's favorite "obstacle".  We just ran Numbered Hoopers for the first time in about a year, since the clubs here in SoCal mainly offered X-Hoopers.  The challenge wasn't the same... there is something psychological about having that physical barrier there to manage.  I'd be interested in seeing how it will run without the xpens.  Regardless, the circle of zoom will be missed.  I'm sad already...
-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 05:39:18 AM »
I do remember the first time I tried to set X-Hoopers and work the patterns across the circle.  I got so frustrated!  So, I took the gates away and found trying to do the patterns outside the circle MUCH harder than with the gates.  I do admit I would prefer folks to have had an opportunity to train it first so their dogs understand there are 4 hoops opening the circle and you can go in them and out them.  It provides an excellent way to get distance with a dog not used to distance!  I am glad the classes are combined for points; but, dang!, XHP is such fun to run!!  Wish we could just combine the 2 classes like we did with numbered hoopers and strategic hoopers and then see how that plays out.  It took so long to get it going here in the SE, that competitors in this area have had 1 year to see XHP at a trial and see if they want to play.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Sara Langston

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:33 AM »
This change is really, really disappointing and frustrating.  What is the thinking behind this change????  We have just now been able to offer X-Hoopers is this area and people are loving it!!!!  Also, many clubs have recently invested money to buy x-pens or make gates and now that money has been wasted.  I waited a year or so to be sure this was a class that was going to stick around before I invested in x-pens and now, they are no longer going to be used.  That really hurts from my standpoint as I don't have money to throw away.  I really wish you would reconsider and leave X-Hoopers alone.  We ran it at my trial this past weekend and everyone LOVES it!!!!! 

Also, in my opinion, Numbered Hoopers sucks and I will not offer it at my trials!!!!!

Sara
Sara Langston, Laughing Dog Agility
The Bridge Creek Boys
NATCH3 V-NATCH Kane, Mac, Blaze, & Rocket

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2017, 07:43:32 AM »
I'm so sorry X-Hoopers is being eliminated, as I came to like it very much after having the opportunity to try it.  I wish more people would have at least given it a try.  If they had, I believe they would have liked it as well. 

I submitted our club's trial application last week for our June 2-4 trial, listing one regular Hoopers class and two X-Hoopers classes.  Will I need to resubmit my application? 

Thank you!
Paulette Couture
Paulette Couture
Cody (West Highland White Terrier): Triple All Around, NATCH 11, Vers NATCH 9, 10K Lifetime Points

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 07:44:33 AM »
We'll be doing a facebook live discussion at 3PM EST today.
I'll try to cover a few things.

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 08:06:38 AM »
I guess I am one of the few who really didn't like X-hoopers.  First, for my cattle dog, who is 9, she just really didn't like it.  There was no "challenge" to her.   If she can't be "doing" something, it just isn't fun to her.  Just running is NOT her thing.  Was she good at it, yes.  She was able to do it pretty well.  But did she like it.  No.  I can tell by her body language that she is doing it because I asked her to do it.  But, she also is not all that fond of tunnelers for the same reason.  My little guy, is fast and furious, but he is so small that with the gates he couldn't see me and he got frustrated. It was much better with  the gates, but we were only in novice level.  I am not sure what would have happened at the upper level.  And my beagle, who has very little distance skills because we run for fun got lost within the circle many times.  My baby dog, who will be starting this year, was trained with the pens, might have liked it, so I am a little sad for her, but there are plenty of other events to have fun in.

Second, running multiple dogs in multiple events, adding X-hoopers (up to 8 events a day) is hard on MY body.  I simply cannot do it in certain environments like indoor soccer arenas.  It is too hard on my surgically repaired knees and ankles.  Also, since we didn't see X-hoopers much, we didn't have the time to gather points, that was the one that was cut.  My dogs are older and to start in novice and try to work up at this point in the careers was not something that I really cared to do simply for a title.  I was going to run it this year to qualify for Champs, but that was really going to be it.  Again, the baby dog might have been a different story. 

My third point is, when there are so many classes already offed at a NADAC trial, the costs to run all of the events becomes prohibitive.  I run 3 dogs and am adding a 4th.  Even with picking and choosing which events to run, I have well over $300 per trial in entry fees alone for the 3 dogs.  If I have to pick and choose, I will go with the events that lead me to my NATCH and V-NATCH and also ones that my dogs like.  Yes, I know the dogs don't know about the titles, but since the dogs don't really care for the event either, I choose to not do it and cut costs.  IF I have to choose, I would run tunnelers instead with 2 of my dogs because they both LOVE it.  They have a TON of points in it, but they love it.  If I have to cut an event, I cut weavers for one of the dogs because she doesn't like it, I cut tunnelers for another, etc.  It really is about finances at times.  Especially, since in our area, there are only a handful of local trials, so I have to spend money on hotels, food, gas, etc. 

Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
I'm so sad to hear about this. X Hoopers was my second favorite class (jumpers slightly ahead). I hate numbered (and even worse was strategic) hoopers and won't enter those. I always was excited to enter x hoopers when I could :(
Jessi Zamboni

Rosemary

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
I am kind of bummed that this class is going away.  I'll admit that I was hesitant, but when it became a requirement for champs I took the bull by the horns and worked on it.  We entered the class a couple of times and had a lot of fun.  One of my dogs is a classic "velcro dog" and getting him to Q in ex-hoopers was a huge deal for us.  Personally, I think the reason for the low entries is that this particular class was not offered all that much.  It might have been a good idea to require clubs to offer it a certain number of times throughout the course of a year to get an actual idea of it's popularity or lack there of.  I'm not criticizing, just offering an opinion.  I still love NADAC overall.

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »
We'll be doing a facebook live discussion at 3PM EST today.
I'll try to cover a few things.

Can you watch those after the fact or only if you are live  (work may frown upon me watching a live video during the day- although I do go on Facebook (shhhhhh)  ;)
Mary P.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
You can watch them later

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
Having had some time to consider these changes, I have some questions/concerns.
1.  Personally, I am sad to see X-hoopers go away.  Given a choice, I would have voted to keep X-hoopers with gates/X-pens over Numbered Hoopers.  The new class seems like just another Numbered Hoopers course with some different sequences/challenges.
2.  My club hosted one X-games trial back in 2014.  While the trial was well received, we never repeated it due to several factors not related to the actual classes.  We hold outdoor trials and have limited daylight, so, until this year, we haven't offered X-hoopers.  Due to the Champs requirement of having 20 points in X-Hoopers to qualify, there has been renewed interest in this class and we were expecting an increase in entries.   
3.  Our gates and hoops have been funded by myself, mostly, and some other club members.  I just made 3 more gates to be in compliance with the new size of the gate circle-my cost again.   So... on a personal level, I have quite a bit of money invested in X-hoopers. 
4.  My club's trial is coming up at the end of March and we are offering both Numbered Hoopers and X-Hoopers on our premium.  I am concerned about what the changes will do to our entries, not to mention the many questions I will be getting about combining points and what level to enter.  Will we be able to amend the premium and if so, what class(es) can we add and stay within the guidelines.  Is there still a requirement that Regular be offered on all three days if more that 3 runs are offered on Friday?
Sorry for adding to your already big headache!
Linda Anderson
Star City K 9 Training Club
Roanoke, VA
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!