Author Topic: pre champs ring  (Read 1685 times)

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
pre champs ring
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:18 PM »
Will pre-champs be run in the same place as Champs?  I was wondering if I will get a chance to sample the champs environment by running a class or two in pre champs.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: pre champs ring
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
It will be run in the same main arena as Champs :)

danforth

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
thanks.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 05:59:33 AM »
YAY!   
Mary P.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »

So then if they are in the same arena, I am thinking there won't be the opportunity to have regular classes during the "main event" like we did in 2015 in Springfield?
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

So then if they are in the same arena, I am thinking there won't be the opportunity to have regular classes during the "main event" like we did in 2015 in Springfield?
That is correct.   We will have a warm up ring like in Utah.  But not full courses

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »
Thanks!  Bummer because my baby dog will be there and I was hoping to run some courses with her, but oh well.....  Can't have everything!   ;D
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

mygsds

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Will the arena be set up same way for the pretrial as for champs..with the lovely purple fencing/gates?
Pat

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
Will the arena be set up same way for the pretrial as for champs..with the lovely purple fencing/gates?
Pat

Yes!

We like to set up everything for the pre-trial as it would be for Champs.   That way folks can get used to everything as it will be during the main event :)

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 07:36:39 AM »

That is correct.   We will have a warm up ring like in Utah.  But not full courses

Hoping the warm up area will be away from the queing area unlike at springfield where dogs crashing through tunnels and bounding over the aframe was VERY distracting to the dogs we were trying to keep calm in the Que
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:56:01 AM »
We'll do our best.  But most likely it will be some what close. 

It's not something we aim to do, but it is championships too, so we expect the level of dogs attending to be able to handle distractions :)

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
  Just curious - why do dogs need to warm up on contacts and tunnels when that's not allowed at a regular trial? 

Why are dogs being drilled on obstacles when that is also not allowed at a trial?

I would think a  jump / hoop should be sufficient like at a weekend trial -

Is there a valid reason??
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
  Just curious - why do dogs need to warm up on contacts and tunnels when that's not allowed at a regular trial? 

Why are dogs being drilled on obstacles when that is also not allowed at a trial?

I would think a  jump / hoop should be sufficient like at a weekend trial -

Is there a valid reason??

We have our handy dandy judges standing all over the place making sure the 'drilling' doesn't happen 8)

Since we are able to have the side runs this year it is highly likely that the warm up area will be just a couple hoops and a jump.   But in past years, like Salt Lake where we couldn't do the side runs we felt it was needed to give the dogs a way to get prepared.

Why do we feel they need to be prepared, when they can't prepare the same way at a weekend trial?

Because it's Championships, which is an event that people spend the entire year working towards.    Some people spend more than a year preparing for the event.

So we hate the idea of someone blowing up a run they have been waiting for an entire year to do.   So we give them a chance to warm up a bit beyond what they could at a trial because the stakes are much higher than what you would experience at a trial

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
Ok - thanks - Not being argumentative - just wondering why it is so different -
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 11:34:01 AM »
Great explanation, Chris.  I might just add that some of the courses are much longer than at regular trials.  It is good to have a dog well warmed-up to do them.  Plus, with the time stretched out between runs being very long, lots of the dogs have been napping in crates for longer than usual.  Great chance to get them awake and mentally prepared to run.

Not to mention that some of the awards are paid for by the nominal fee that we pay to use the contacts to warm up.  Very useful, IMO.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven