Author Topic: Junior Handler Championships  (Read 847 times)

papillonlover123

Junior Handler Championships
« on: February 05, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »
Hi,
Whats the deal with junior handlers competing at the NADAC championships in Ohio? Does a junior handler need to be at the elite level? Or can they run Novice?

Thanks!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Junior Handler Championships
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
The Championships has different divisions.   Novice is not really an option.

We have Pre-Elite, which is a shorter course than the elite standard divisions, no distance tests, and probably something else I'm forgetting at the moment :)

We used to have a Junior Handlers division at the champs, but haven't had enough Juniors signed up the past few years to make that happen, so they usually end up getting grouped up with another division.  Although we're trying to find an alternative to that for this year :)

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
Not sure about this (Chris?) but I assume even the Junior handler's dog must "satisfy" the requirements as stated on the premium (which are different for pre-elite and for "normal/elite" Champs), or hope to get in with "second chance" entry, after the closing date of Champs if the entries don't fill. Assume as  long as you can do that, you're eligible.
(In 2015 only some of the pre-elite level runs were shorter, not all of them, but there weren't any distance challenges, which are like Chances lines.)
Vicki Storrs
Vicki Storrs

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Vicki is correct as well.  I may have mis read the original question:)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
The Championships has different divisions.   Novice is not really an option.

We have Pre-Elite, which is a shorter course than the elite standard divisions, no distance tests, and probably something else I'm forgetting at the moment :)

We used to have a Junior Handlers division at the champs, but haven't had enough Juniors signed up the past few years to make that happen, so they usually end up getting grouped up with another division.  Although we're trying to find an alternative to that for this year :)

Yes, we have Elite and Pre-Elite.  All of Pre-Elite is grouped as just that, Pre-Elite.  You jump the height that your division and category allows you to jump, but those divisions are not split. 

At the Elite level it is split into Standard, Veteran dogs/Veteran Handlers/Junior Handlers, and Double Digits.  You are grouped within those three divisions by your dog's shoulder height.

Pre-Elite dogs do not have the distance challenges, all others group do have distance challenges.

We do not have a separate group for Junior Handlers, but there is a separate HUGE trophy for the highest scoring Junior Handler at the event.  We also have the Most Inspiring Junior Handler.  So while they do not have a separate division, they do have special awards to compete for.  Most years we also have sponsors for the Champs bars for second highest scoring JH.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility