Author Topic: Pre-trial format  (Read 447 times)

kbriefel

Pre-trial format
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »
Does Pre-Trial use the same format of chutes leading to the start line?  Or is that only in Champs?  I'm hoping to see what it's all about prior to Camps runs.

Ken Briefel mad Max

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Pre-trial format
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:19 PM »
Pre trial doesn't use the chutes.   We could probably set some up though, it wouldn't be quite the same but it would have a nice feel to it :)

During champs it's pretty imperative that the dogs run in the exact order on the board.   Too many gears that need to match up and when a dog runs out of order it really messes with things.

Pre-Trial on the other hand is a little more relaxed, so dogs running out of order is a large probability.     Which is why we haven't used the chutes before.

kbriefel

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  Personally I'd love to have it to simulate what Champs would be like to the extent possible both for mine and my dog's sake as this is the first Champs for us both. 

Ken and Max

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:30:53 AM »
As another newby to Champs, anything that is 'champs-like' would be great.

Isabel and Cocoa
Isabel and Cocoa

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
I won't be there this year but I'll just post this for your edification.  I don't think I would sweat this very much as it is absolutely no big deal and setting up chutes for the pre=trial is just extra work for those workers.

The chutes consist of waist-high PVC frames with  cloth hanging from them to keep the dogs from seeing into the ring and vise versa.  There are also frames between each box that alternate sides so access is open but vision for a dog is not. There are maybe  5 or 6 of these that you wait in for a couple of minutes while each dog runs and you can warm-up or chill in each box.  Then you'll move to the next one as a new dog moves to the start-line. There usually is a steward in each box who will tell you when you can move to the next one It just is not a big deal.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

kbriefel

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
But it is far from the normal trial in terms of figuring out when/whether to calm dog down or get ready to go in terms of timing and visuals.

Ken and Max

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
I'm sure we can set up something roughly similar

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:34:39 PM »
Ken,  it's actually Way easier than a regular trial I think.  Because You can see the dog running and the dogs in front of you through the whole thing.  You'll have lots of time to figure out what you and your dog need.  And there is a jump in one of the chute stops if you want a little warm up.  So your timing is much easier than people shouting dogs names and counting on the run sheet and people rearranging order like we normally do.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs