Author Topic: VT Trials  (Read 1707 times)

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
VT Trials
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:22:35 PM »
Hi everyone- Four Seasons Agility here in Buffalo NY is hoping to run a VT trial or two this summer- I was wondering if I could get some input from some of you who have run such events in the past.

Things like:
- how you handle entries- whether they are pre-entries or "day of show"... do you put out a premium?
- and then how you deal with run orders and event order- do you run it like a regular trial?
- who does the videotaping?
- how do you work the pricing- if the run looks good to submit, who submits it, do you charge if the club submits it?

All the little ins and outs. It seems like treating it as a fun match is too casual, but treating it like a trial may not be appropriate either. We'd like it to go smoothly, have some nice videos to submit, and make a little money for our efforts.

PM to lynnr1529@roadrunner.com, or through facebook (Lynn Reece Broderick), or post here- any input is appreciated!

Lynn
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

David Tharle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: VT Trials
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
I think you can make it as easy or complicated as you like.

We're pretty relaxed and just treat it as part of the Fun Day.  We announce the date well in advance.  The Wednesday before (day new Vt courses come out) we let people know what we'll be setting (There may be nothing new to fit our barn and some folks may have already run last weeks). People let us know which dogs they're bringing and at what level they're running at for those courses. We charge per dog for the day. We provide a lunch (small fee) or have folks brown bag it.  Build and run courses like at a trial. We usually start with something like Tunnelers or TNG which is the same for elite, open & novice dogs. This accommodates teams traveling in.  We run levels elite to intro. If someone chooses not to video, they have so much time to work their with their dog on course.   Depending on the number of dogs, we usually run 3 or 4 courses (all levels) during the day.

In my mind, from the Club's perspective, the most important thing is: People are responsible for filming & submitting their own runs.   Usually a friend (or two), using an iPhone, iPad, Camcorder, etc will do it.  As a club we don't want the responsibility.  Whoever is filming says "Good Luck" when they're ready to video.  We help those new to the process with where to stand and what needs to be shown (leashed dog, clear view of obstacle performances, dog back on leash).  Submitting it is very straight forward for the handler (just about everything will upload to YouTube now days) and again we don't want the responsibility of matching dogs, courses, levels,NADAC numbers, etc.

Dave Tharle
PAWSitive Dog Sports Association
Cold Lake, AB
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Roger Coor

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »
 We are also very relaxed about our VTs.  Our club has a Yahoo list so we can announce when we are going to do one.  In that email I announce all the particulars.  We try to send out the email a few days to a week before hand.  We ask that anyone coming to email back just so we have an idea how many are coming.  Doing a VT is a lot of labor setting, running and closing up, so we let it be known that if a person is coming to expect to be there most of the time and to help throughout.  Our club has a fee rate for open practices, so we charge the same for VT sessions.  We ask that everyone be there to help set up.  We explain what they need, a NADAC number for the dog, a YouTube account, a PayPal account, and to bring a video device.  We encourage people at all levels, and will set a course for whatever level is coming.  We are strict about the ethics of videoing only the first run if someone wants to run it again later.  We look at the course and decide where the best place to video and mark it.  Our club does have tables which personally I do not like, but this is a good use of one to mark that place.
  If you are going to have more than about 10 people, I suggest having a sign up sheet for each class jump height.  Make sure someone is a leash runner.  Make sure the setting for the video device are set.  Make sure that it is clear where the ring stops and to begin with the handler outside of the ring and keep videoing until they are again outside of the ring marker.  When videoing most times when it is bright that looking at a smart phone or a tablet it is simply impossible to see, you may have to aim it down to confirm the thing is rolling then just make sure you think the dog is in the middle of the screen. 
  VTs are great ways for newbies to get used to a more relaxed trial environment, for people to actually try getting more work at some of those pesky classes that don't seem to get as many Qs, and just plain fun of running a course, getting credit for it, and keeping NADAC on peoples minds.
  Most of all relax and have fun.
Roger

David Tharle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
These events really help our new handlers and/or new dogs get trial ready.  Some people find the fact that they can tape their run adds that little bit of pressure beyond that of a normal Fun Day.

Couldn't agree with Roger more though
Most of all relax and have fun.

Dave Tharle
Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »
Here at mdt-AA (Reno) we are very casual about VTs. You sign onto a white broad for what classes you want to run and at what height. Everyone brings something for a potluck lunch. We like to get in 6 runs at each level, everyone helps build courses under Greg's direction. At the end of the day you count your runs and put the money into the jar. Honor system. We only do one day (twice a month, so it equals one trial a month without traveling away). I teach classes on the other day. Only students currently in classes are invited to participate. Keeps it small and my neighbors are happy with less cars. No barking is allowed. It's a plus for training here. 

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
Oh and people are responsible to bring their own video devise and have a friend video. Then they send to NADAC themselves. $5 a run here and $5 to NADAC if run is a Q and is sent.

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input-

We are hoping to draw more than just club members for this event, so we can make a little income as we had to drop our third trial.  Our fun match last summer did draw non-club members, but it was an organizational mess, with lots of waiting around and confusion regarding run order, so I'm seeking ways to help us figure out how to keep it casual and fun but a bit more structured than last time.

Giving the competitor the responsibility for their own video would be relief!

Our meeting is next Saturday, so I may have more questions after that!

Lynn
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

RobertStewart

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
We have a general "Guest Field Use" fee with TAG (Travis Agility Group) of $5.00. So, we only ask non TAG member to pay $5.00. We do NOT charge on a per run basis.

This past weekend was different however, because we did our VT day as part of a fund raising event for the Animal Shelter Texas Humane Heroes. So, we charged $15.00 for the day whether you did only 1 run, or all 6 run events.  We had a good draw from the general agility community in central Texas. We even had expert assistance in our course building from judge-to-be Marcy Matties woo - hoo! I learned a great deal about NADAC course building to boot!

We built courses that didn't require a great deal of change (for the most part) So, we did Touch n Go,  Chances (only the line moves), Jumpers (that one changes per level)
Tunnelers, weavers (minor changes) and hoopers. We opted out of Regular due to the time it takes to build/walk/run esp if you do 2 rounds). So, everyone had the opportunity to run 6 runs. We even let a few folks, if there was a lag in course building to re run without video taping at no extra charge.

We are fortunate to have 2 fields So we did Elite-Open-Novice - Intro in one field and Intro-Nov-Open-Elite in the other. We were flooded with a bunch of Intro people which is challenging as it's a bit like herding cats-on-crack. But overall everyone enjoyed it. I might have been the only one to totally pass out when i got home.

We had a great time, got to meet bunches of new people. it promotes our club as a NADAC club promoting NADAC trials, hosting NADAC trials, and VT events.
Robert Stewart

NATCH-11, V-NATCH-10, AA-NATCH, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH Sidheag, MXP2, MXJP2,  MFP, APD

Wynndzor, NCC, NAC, TGN, S-TN-E, O-WV-O, AX, AXJ, AXF,

At the Bridge

Ellie
Misty Leigh
"Q!"