Author Topic: Possible 2017 Western Regional  (Read 2448 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Possible 2017 Western Regional
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
I think an important part here is that we don't expect people to do both events!   I would honestly almost lean in the direction of NOT allowing it whatsoever.

The regional, or whatever it ends up getting called.  Should just be something for the folks who can't make it to champs because of the distance involved.   I am not sure how good I would feel if someone came and did Championships for 4 days, 6 if you count pre-trial, then drove straight through and did another 4 days at the regional.  That doesn't sit too well with me.

MichelleWhall

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:15 AM »
I live about as far east as you can get and although Ohio is considered East we also are looking at a 12-hour Drive versus 19-20 hrs to Illinois.

as long as we can do it in a two Day Drive we will go :)

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
When I started checking out driving directions I found that Ohio was actually pretty centrally located in the eastern half of the continental US.  Of course Florida is a little further away.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

BeckyAH

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
I'm near Linda and when I will likely never manage to go to Utah or the like,  Ohio isn't bad at all and I'm fine with considering that east. Florida would be...hard, but I'd not say it wasn't east, just that it was too far for me.    I'm not ready for Champs but would like to try to qualify in a couple of years - and would really appreciate an 'off year' gathering that's longer and a little larger than a regular weekend for those 'social perks'. 

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
Something we mentioned somewhere else, I can't remember where.   Is the possibility of having the top dogs in each division for the regional getting an automatic invite to Championships when it comes to that coast.   So that way it would have a little extra beyond a normal trial too.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
  I appreciate Sharon's effort to try to have something for everyone and maybe some people might be able to do both.
Linda & the Daxes

There is no thought or intention for anyone to do both!  It is an alternative for those who cannot travel as far as champs for whatever reason.

The reason the dates are so close is to try to make sure that no one can do both.  We could do it on the same dates but I would like to be available if Chris needs anything from me during the Champs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Carole & Pat Daggett

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
Everyone should remember the NA of NADAC stands for North America. Folks in this discussion should keep on mind there is a very strong and very competitive contingent from western Canada that must also be kept in mind when deciding where to have Champs. I'm from eastern Pennsylvania so anywhere that doesn't involve crossing the Mississippi river is in play for me. I went to Gillette once and it was too much travel (and altitude) for me.

This is Champs. As Sharon has said at every Champs she and I have been to ... "this is not your ordinary weekend". I approach it as something special. You attend when you can because the dog you think has the potential may not last until its convenient.

Pat Daggett

DeafSheltieMom

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Course builder
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 04:25:36 PM »
I'm all in for a western US gathering!  Doesn't matter where, I'll try to be there!  Our club is holding a games trial the weekend afterwards, so I hope it doesn't affect attendance...  but I'm still in.

Being in the southern-most end of the west coast, practically everywhere is a long drive.  6 hours is nothing for me, but I have managed 12-13 hour driving days...  I plan on going to Gillette, even though it is about a 20 hour drive.  That seems "close" to me for a major event.  But of course, everyone has their travel limits.  I'm a bit on the crazy side regarding travel...

-dayle
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

Roger Coor

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
I really like the idea, still people have to understand they will have to do more than just fall out of bed to get to a Regional.  A Regional implies less than a big trip to A National event, but more than just a local.  I am all for it, if it, great idea.

Foomin Z

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
Another venue (in which I do NOT participate) actually awards something like a Western Champion and an Eastern Champion (and because I've never gone, that may not be quite right....).
That always seemed kinda weird to me.  I *totally* get the idea that not everyone can spend days (or bucks) traveling long distances.  But that, to me, means there is no national champion.
Just....well, different.
Yes, they do eastern and western champ, and then combine the east and west scores in a list  to declare a national champ. I thought that was a fun idea, to run the same courses on opposite coasts, and then combine the two halves' scores. I have seen other clubs on east/west coasts do this as well for friendly rivalry/fun and no real prize involved, just a ribbon. With computers and the internet, that makes such a thing so easy to do.

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 11:13:09 PM »
If that date sticks, Dash and I will go! I work 7 on/7 off and that's my off week :D It'll be fun, hope it works out!
Jessi Zamboni

bhodges865

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »
Will the "eastern Regional" actually be in the EAST?  Like NOT Illinois or Ohio?  Like actually East?  MA, NY, PA, etc?

If you look at the distribution of Northeast competitors vs the rest of "eastern" US, I would think there could be as many in those 13 colony states as the rest of the "east".  I am lucky that I am almost centrally located in the "east".  I compete as far as TX (14 hrs) to GA (4 hrs) to NC (6 hrs) to MD (8 hrs) to KY (3 hrs) to IA (9 hrs).
Team TX Heeler
Knoxville, TN