Author Topic: Long term pain management questions  (Read 532 times)

LyndaB

Long term pain management questions
« on: May 19, 2017, 07:07:20 AM »
Hi, I'm going to our vet in a few days for a follow up to discuss long term pain management options for our 14 year old pug, and was hoping for some suggestions on what to ask him. Here's the background:

In the course of two weeks, Buddha started having trouble moving well and his breathing started to sound different. We took him in for tests. His blood and urine tests were normal, and the x-rays showed almost no arthritis. It did look like he was developing pneumonia, so he took antibiotics, and his breathing has gone back to normal (for a pug anyway).
   However, his spine showed almost every vertebrae had growth - I don't think the vet actually called them osteophytes or bone spurs, but I'm checking on that when I see him. He gave us two weeks of rimadyl, and it worked great - his movement went back to normal, and he was acting like he was 10 again. He actually had a nosework trial during that time, and did great with both the 7 hour car ride each way and the active (for him) weekend.
   Once those ran out, his movement slowly deteriorated again, and he's clearly in quite a bit of pain all the time.  I'm a little wary of him taking an NSAID for long periods of time, but I know that the side effects aren't very common, although they can be nasty. Are there other options I can ask the vet about? Most of the information and options I've found online about long term pain management is for arthritis, which he (thankfully) doesn't have.

Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated - he's usually an incredibly happy and friendly little dog who still loves to run tunnelers, even if it takes him an absurdly long time to get through the course. Thanks!

-Lynda and Buddha

Amy McGovern

Re: Long term pain management questions
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:43 AM »
FWIW, my oldest girl has been on NSAIDs for 2.5 years now, ever since she tore her ACL.  We did the repair surgery but she needed the NSAIDs for long term management.  She also does laser therapy.  The combination of the two do a good job of managing her so that she is happy and still running agility, although she is slowing down the last month or two (but she is about to turn 12).  I don't know if laser can help with the issue you described but I see the quality of life as a key and so we just do the NSAIDs and monitor her bloodwork regularly.

-Amy and the schnauzers
Amy and the schnauzers

AndreaEntin

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »
My dog Scruffy came down with spinal stenosis at 13.  His final course of med were Metacam, Tramadol and Steroids.  It worked for him for less than a year.  Spine issues are terrible, pretty much nothing can be done but try to keep them comfortable. 

Andrea Entin

KathieT

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 05:24:29 PM »
If you have access to an acupuncture or chiropractic vet, I would recommend that.  I have one who also does holistic stuff.  The other thing is turmeric paste.  I have a 9 y/o Mini Aussie with severe bilateral elbow dysphasia.  I have her on the paste and can tell if I miss a dose.  Kathie
Kathie
Beulah WY

LyndaB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:46:10 AM »
Thanks all for your suggestions. We're going to the vet shortly, and I feel better about what to ask about. Thanks!