Author Topic: New Barrelers  (Read 3155 times)

mygsds

New Barrelers
« on: May 28, 2017, 05:16:32 PM »
We ran the new barrelers class today..liked the old courses much better. Too few barrels niw was more like a Hoopers course with tunnels and a few barrels stuck in...we did Q on our runs but wasnt as much of a challenge as XBarrelers was.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: New Barrelers
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
X-Barrelers was just a bit much for what we ask in a special skills class.

Weavers we ask for 3 sets of weaves
Touch n Go we ask for 3 contact performances

So it only made sense that Barrelers would have 3-ish barrel performances as well.

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 05:43:24 PM »
Is it possible to get a sample course for those who have not been running barreled?

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

mygsds

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
Thanks for explaining Chris.  I didnt think of it that way. I had only done the other XBarrelers and enjoyed it. This seemed so different but that makes sense.

Pat

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
Personally I LOVE the new barrelers - when you have many many barrel performances I think it stresses the dog's joints too much - I like that they get to open up and not be in collection all the time - I also find it pretty challenging at the elite level with my faster than average dogs - It truly does show you a lot about your handling skills :)
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:49 AM »
Couldn't agree more Maureen!  Not only did the old Barrelers stress the joints, but it was also pretty un-NADAC like and mentally demotivating.  I had written tunnelers off but it is much more fun again.

Gina Pizzo
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Me too!!!!  I think though it was fun to try, especially with a long-striding, fast dog, it was a bit much for the little guys.  We never made it to the Elite level, but in the early stages, if I remember correctly, at pre-Champs or for a demo it was the same course for all with a whole bunch of Barrels.  Sparkle pooped next to one of them and she wasn't prone to doing that.  It said volumes to me!!!!!

I really like the newest version.  The old version would still be good for Extreme Challenges.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Daniel Edwards

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 02:30:29 PM »
Hi Chris,

I have a Barrelers related question...  I noticed that Barrelers is currently the only class not available for VT Runs.  With Barrelers not commonly offered at trials, it would be nice to have the opportunity to try out VT runs.  Are there any plans to post Barrelers VT courses in the future?  Just curious.   :)

Thanks!
Daniel and Milo

MoabDiane

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
I don't mind the "lack" of lots of barrels.
My older dog Bracken has done loops around all kinds of things, all his life.
He turns tightly, but not so drastically as to be painful (I think, I hope).
I wasn't a huge fan of the old barrelers or X-barrelers.

However.
The new Elite level courses haven't been particularly friendly.
A serp with a turn to the barrel on the "inside" (or what I would call the "wrong" side!). 
That's worse than any barrel turn I used to see.

Bracken isn't perfect, and I am less so.
But without looking, I'll bet he has about a 10% Q rate in the "new" barrelers.
That says a lot to me! 
He still has fun with it - and I try. We've had a few that were lovely!  But dang few.

Teasel is a bit more successful - but she's still (for one more Q!) in Open.
I think she can do the Elite courses just fine because she *isn't* quite so fast.

Just my two cents' worth.
I'm hoping like other "new" things that some kinks will get worked out, and courses will get to be more friendly.

diane

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »
I'm just hoping to see a new barrelers course! Is there a sample somewhere?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sheila & the Shelties

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:04:43 AM »
Yes, there are samples of all levels, all classes at the end of the rules (NADAC.com, Rules and FAQ, Exhibitors Handbook).  Barrelers is the last sample set.  It is fairly similar to the ones I have seen at trials, although I haven't run the sample course.  Looks like fun (but I just find Barrelers fun to run!).
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Danielle - before they said they didnt do VT barrels because it was too hard to judge the turns on tape. I wonder with the revamp if it will be offered though. Ive seen some courses with two barrels in VT so doesnt seem a stretch with 3.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
The way the new barrelers courses are designed I do think it could be possible.

We would need some rules on what sort of markers could be used.   The whiskers are great in person, but can be a little hard to see if the video quality isn't high.

The flat orange cones are very visible in all videos.  So we'll play around with it a bit and see what we can come up with

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 06:15:24 AM »
I would love to be a participant in the experiment!!  I have flat soccer cones that I got for numbering Strategic Hoopers sequences.  And GoPro cameras that generally do a distance picture.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 01:39:53 PM »
Please, please, please can we have Barrelers VT runs!  I'd be glad to test this as well.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!