Author Topic: Champs closing date, warm-up area details, etc.  (Read 4737 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Champs closing date, warm-up area details, etc.
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 06:18:56 PM »
OK, can't  hold my tongue (fingers?) any longer.

Agree that Champs-level dogs should be able to deal with all kinds of distractions.
Yes, we've run with dogs running in adjacent rings many times with no problems.

HOWEVER, what I objected to in South Jordan was the waiting in line while in full view and sound of the dogwalk - no curtain that close to the incoming door.
I don't know how far away it was, but it seemed awfully close. I can usually keep my dogs' attention to me while waiting (well, except when Bracken hears a dog going through a tunnel on the other side of the curtains and sticks his nose underneath!  LOL!).  But this was just a bit too close for comfort.

JMHO (and if it's there, with no curtain, we certainly will just deal with it!).
diane
I thought from pictures I saw of other champs that the curtains seemed taller than people. They're not?

No.

They are about 4 feet tall

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »
The Pre-Trial Ring/ Side runs ring will have a larger fence though.   I can't remember off the top of my head but at least 5 feet tall, maybe 6

Heidi Konesko

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 06:44:23 AM »
This is helpful to visualize it.  Although I'm not quite remembering how the staging area works... is this where each dog/handler team had their own blocked off area in which to wait and you index down through them?  What can you bring into and do in the staging area, and how many dogs are ahead of you when you have to enter the staging area?  I'm one of those "hang back and wait until the last second so that my dog doesn't amp up and annoy everyone with her barking" people.  I know that isn't going to work at Champs.   ::)
Can we bring treats, and possibly what would work best for my girl, a bully stick to chew on while going through the staging area? As the song goes, "The waaaaiting is the hardest part!" :)
I seem to remember some sort of handler's gear transfer relay going from the entrance side to the exit side, separate from leash running, when I helped out down on the floor in 2011 Springfield.  Is that right?  And if so, would it be good to bring a little tote bag for our stuff?
Thanks, -Heidi in NH
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
This is helpful to visualize it.  Although I'm not quite remembering how the staging area works... is this where each dog/handler team had their own blocked off area in which to wait and you index down through them?  What can you bring into and do in the staging area, and how many dogs are ahead of you when you have to enter the staging area?  I'm one of those "hang back and wait until the last second so that my dog doesn't amp up and annoy everyone with her barking" people.  I know that isn't going to work at Champs.   ::)
Can we bring treats, and possibly what would work best for my girl, a bully stick to chew on while going through the staging area? As the song goes, "The waaaaiting is the hardest part!" :)
I seem to remember some sort of handler's gear transfer relay going from the entrance side to the exit side, separate from leash running, when I helped out down on the floor in 2011 Springfield.  Is that right?  And if so, would it be good to bring a little tote bag for our stuff?
Thanks, -Heidi in NH

You are correct on all counts!

They are essentially holding chutes.  You would typically have about 4-5 dogs ahead of you when you enter.

When you get to the last chute before the start line there will be a person there who you can give your toys/treats to.  They will transfer them over to the finish line.

Only thing you can't bring into the staging area is a squeaky toy :)

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
For those people who don't have multi-ring NADAC trials and only do NADAC venue, you might have to get creative in training your dog to ignore the distraction of another ring running simultaneously.  One idea - if there is a dog park or similar type of activity, take some jumps, hoops, weave poles, and whatever other equipment you have, and work your dog in the vicinity of the dog park while dogs are playing in the park.  (Don't go into the park with the other dogs, just work outside the park and use the dogs inside as a distraction).  Or you can go to a local park with kids playing in the playground.  You could set up two sets of equipment, and use baby gates, fencing etc. between the two sets and have a friend work their dog on one set of equipment and you work your dog on the other.  In other words, you may not be able to totally replicate the situation you and your dog will face at Champs, but you should be able to approximate the challenge of multiple rings if you use your creativity during the next several months before we all head to Ohio.

We unfortunately don't have that option in my area.  All dog parks by us require a yearly fee to belong and the people who bring their dogs to the park are not trustworthy.  I had my old dog attacked at a dog park and won't take my dogs there again.   There is no room to work outside as this is the parking lot and there is no ground around the outside of the parks either to set up.  Any other park, especially with kids around requires the dogs to be on leash. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Billie Rosen

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 05:42:21 PM »
Audra,  you will just have to be positive and creative to work on this.  You may have to do things on leash, but you could go talk to your Parks director and explain your needs and see if there is a park where you could work a bit off leash.  Is there a search and rescue group in your area that trains that you could work your dog in their vicinity?  Maybe some dog classes where the instructor will let you do some work nearby.  You would be a great distraction for their dogs.  Or is soccer for example played outside in your area, where you could use the guys or girls running up and down as a distraction.  And you don't need much to set up, just a couple of hoops, buckets, gates and/or jumps, and you can do a whole lot of work.  You don't need to set up a course, just teach your dog to work with nearby distractions.  So instead of thinking why you can't, put on your positive thinking cap and think about how you can!!!!  I've had to do that numerous times in my dog training career, sometimes its a challenge, but I can usually find something to simulate what I need to work on.
Billie Rosen    agilek9s@q.com
Kruz'n (Border Terrier)  NATCH 28, Vers. NATCH 14
Klev'r (Border Terrier)  NATCH 11, Vers. NATCH 9
Book'n (Border Terrier)  working on 1st NATCH

mygsds

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »
Chris if they are running side runs in same arena how will the rings be separated?

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
Chris if they are running side runs in same arena how will the rings be separated?

Look back at page 2 of this thread.  Chris posted a diagram.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

bhodges865

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:46 AM »
It seems to me, if people are worried about dogs being on other equipment in another area, why not train it?  We have a few months, get some friends together and set up a 2 ring type situation.  It doesn't have to be full courses, just dogs running on contacts, through tunnels, handlers yelling commands, dogs barking, etc.

I'm sure one thing that people will complain about will be barking dogs in the building (in champs ring or side ring).  But I have never been to any dog show where it was quiet.  But...if your dog does get distracted by other barking dogs, now's the time to train for that.  Because I know my dog will bark, she didn't earn "Mouth of the South" for nothing, if she's running a course or waiting in line to run champs.
Team TX Heeler
Knoxville, TN

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
I 've been to champs 3 times now - I've never had an issue with Kiva with any of that, I may with Zoe bc she is a hyperalert dog - but we'll go with the flow this being her first time at champs -that being said:

I have always trained my dogs with all kinds of distractions - In my opinion,  anyone can train distractions all they want but  the amped up energy of champs  is not something you can really replicate in other situations even at crowded trials, parks with kids,  class situations etc.

I've never heard of people complaining about dogs barking in the arena nor have I heard it excessively in my limited experience.

BUT - I would find it problematic if people were allowing their dogs to bark the heads off in the que in an antagonistic manner- I find it annoying at trials and I think  it is not fair to the team running or the team on deck when people stand ring side with their dog barking so much that is distracts or causes the dog running to be concerned,  and they do nothing to try to quell it.
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I 've been to champs 3 times now - I've never had an issue with Kiva with any of that, I may with Zoe bc she is a hyperalert dog - but we'll go with the flow this being her first time at champs -that being said:

I have always trained my dogs with all kinds of distractions - In my opinion,  anyone can train distractions all they want but  the amped up energy of champs  is not something you can really replicate in other situations even at crowded trials, parks with kids,  class situations etc.

What I've found seems kind of like a contradiction in terms.  But in my opinion - yes - there is no way to replicate the energy of Champs.  But what I think you will find is that dogs respond to that energy in a POSITIVE way.  It's like they know this is something special - a greater trial on a grander stage.  Not only do they respond by running faster (at least mine did), but they also respond by being more attentive and less distracted.  I have no empirical evidence to support that other than my own two dogs.  But I've watched a lot of dogs run during the course of 3 different Champs, and I barely remember any dogs ever being stressed or distracted or overly crazy or ever shutting down.  And that includes all levels of dogs - pre-elite, elite, young, old, etc.  I know that sounds hard to believe, but the courses are set up in an area that is much bigger than most any normal trial.  And it's like they are out there with you and nothing else exists.  The walls on 3 sides plus the purple curtains that separate the course from everything else just seem to help everything else melt away.

So if the handler can control THEIR fear and anxiety then I'm pretty sure the dog will have nothing but a good time.  And truly there is nothing to fear or be anxious about.  Above ALL else Champs is the most fun gathering of dog lovers having the time of their life with their dogs, and humans partying with old and new friends.  My motto for Utah was ...  just breathe ... which wasn't easy in that altitude!  lol  Hopefully air will be easier to come by in Ohio.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
To follow up on the distractions part of Champs...
Here is a link to a video of our 4th Round at last year's Champs. 

Right at the very beginning (about 10-11 seconds into the video), you can hear a VERY LOUD squeek...  I think it was a dog that accidentally got stepped on, or something.  But it happened right when we were setting up at the line.  You can see that Tesla REALLY wanted to check it out.  It's hard enough getting a leash over her ears as it is without messing with her brain, so her turning around to figure out what's going on DOES NOT HELP with her start lines!  But I stayed calm, and managed to get her sorta back to me (you can see she still looked back).  But once we started the run, Holy Moly!!!  It was our best run of the weekend, we stayed connected, and placed 1st in that run!  The distraction was unnerving at the time, but looking back on it now, it is what Champs is all about... staying connected with your dog and having fun, REGARDLESS of the outside circumstances.  Practicing with distractions is important, but building your teamwork and connected-ness is much more essential, because you can get past loads of unexpected stuff if you are connected as a team. 

Good luck at Champs, everyone!  Wish we could be there this year, but hopefully if the stars align, we will see all of you in Wyoming!!!
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »
I wish there was a LIKE button for Dayle's post!  I was thinking something similar this morning, about how I just hope I can stay connected with my dogs on course.  That is all I am hoping for.
-Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

danforth

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 02:31:32 PM »
This is a bit of advice I was given, and thought that I should share it here.  They said that horse stalls might retain odors from previous occupants.  Therefore it is worth while to bring baking soda to spread over the floor before putting anything else down.

Anyone have comments on this?

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2017, 12:01:46 AM »
This is a bit of advice I was given, and thought that I should share it here.  They said that horse stalls might retain odors from previous occupants.  Therefore it is worth while to bring baking soda to spread over the floor before putting anything else down.

Anyone have comments on this?

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Definitely not a bad idea!
I didn't notice much of an odor when I was there, but I should preface that by saying I was raised on a ranch so I might not be as aware of that odor as others might be :)