Author Topic: Standard Course Times  (Read 2823 times)

Brenda George

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Standard Course Times
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »
Chris....are you going to give thought for extra time to double digit dogs?
Brenda George

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:40 AM »
Hi Brenda...just thinking about what you asked.  If you mean in regular trials, DD dogs don't have a special category, there's only "vet," so that wouldn't be possible unless that changed.  And if you mean at Champs, we don't start with a Standard Course Time so there's no way to "add" time to it.

You know Jack and I are in the little DD dog boat with you, so I know where you're coming from.  But I can't help thinking "NADAC wide" the DD dogs would be better served by owners that recognize that the DD dog that still wants to play may have slowed down enough that perhaps it should be dropped down in level, rather than having people still pushing them around an Elite course looking for some last elusive title...  i know there are some people who just wouldn't even consider that ("Why waste my money?") and if they run agility for their own ego, sure, because getting "just another Open Q" wouldn't add to the string of titles before or after their dog's name.  But if they run because it brings their dog joy, and that brings Them joy, then run the dog where it can still find the joy.  I had dropped Jack in everything but Chances (an Elite course is no longer or faster, just harder and I step over the line in an instant if I think he needs it, which with the deafness he usually does :-).  But with the new times I May try him back in Elite again--his last Open tunnelers run would have been a Q in Elite with the new times...or maybe not, since he does seem to get a kick out of the shorter courses.  Or maybe run Elite in the "same distance all levels" classes and drop down in the rest.  Still trying to figure out what makes HIM happiest!! 
But this is certainly nothing other than my opinion!!  And we both know what THAT'S worth :-D
Vicki

Vicki Storrs

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 07:41:27 AM »
I don't foresee adding a Double Digit time allowance to normal trials. 
Basically along the lines of what Vicki mentioned.   If they aren't making time with two height breaks ( Skilled and Veteran) when they used to, then they are probably getting older and tired.   So I would hate to see people pushing their older dogs on longer courses just because they could still make time.

Brenda George

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
@ Chris.....was just thinking it would be a class to honor those DD dogs ...other than only at Champs.

@ Vicki.... like you, I have been reducing the number of classes we do at each trial along with spreading out the trials we attend.  Seems to make them happier.   Delighted that at 12 years of age both still want to play the game....and DC retired in December at the age of 15!!  Terriers rule :)  Cheers to Jack!

Brenda George

rondadillard

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »
If they aren't making time with two height breaks ( Skilled and Veteran) when they used to, then they are probably getting older and tired.   

As someone who runs corgis in the 8 inch Proficient class, please remember that this height only gets one height break.  As they age, many of these dogs could benefit from additional time following their one change in height.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
If they aren't making time with two height breaks ( Skilled and Veteran) when they used to, then they are probably getting older and tired.   

As someone who runs corgis in the 8 inch Proficient class, please remember that this height only gets one height break.  As they age, many of these dogs could benefit from additional time following their one change in height.

Correct.  Which is why we tried giving that 4" height group a decent amount of extra time to account for the 8" tall dogs who run as Skilled Veterans...Didn't end too well for me!

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Wait, people complained about getting extra time they didn't need? Hahaha wow. Dont sweat it Chris, even if a majority is happy the unhappy minority will always be the loudest.

I mean i felt silly an elite hooper q'd recent when i practically ran into my dog on course 'cause I didn't cue the best and she just stopped in front of me but since she is fast and really put on the gas for the last half we made it with (calculated) 2-3seconds to spare. On the old time it would have been right borderline for a Q (16" skilled). Felt a little silly submitting it, but hey I wont complain either...  ;D I have such a hard time on the elite hoopers remembering where I am going I'll take what I can get! I need the time for my brainfarts  8)
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

danforth

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
Chris, if you are going to make another change in YPS in the near future can you let us know when that might happen?  Cocoa runs faster in some places than in others.  Therefore, I will choose trials depending on what rules will be in force.

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:43 PM »
The newest YPS update that just got sent to the software vendors will be in place for the foreseeable future

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

danforth

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
That is the one in the May 10th exhibitor handbook, correct?

Thanks for the information.

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 09:16:51 PM »
No those are the last update.  We're waiting to update the rulebook until both software vendors are updated

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Laura A Henrich

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »
Chris, can you re-post the chart I thought I saw before?  I can't find it.  And how did the standard course times change for 12" dogs from a month or so ago?  Thanks a bunch!!
Laura A Henrich
Tobi
Rylee

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:40 AM »
Soon as both software vendors get the software updated we will post the new times!
We're just waiting on Agility Unscrambled.

I don't want to post the new times and then have folks confused when it doesn't match up with a trial they are at because the software isn't updated yet.

aprweber

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
Should I go back to older yps for calculating times on VT runs?

April
April Weber

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
Should I go back to older yps for calculating times on VT runs?

April

You can use what is currently listed in the rulebook.

Once both software companies are updated the rulebook will be updated to reflect the change