Author Topic: Pet Insurance  (Read 555 times)

Anne Etherton

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Pet Insurance
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
I feel fortunate to have taken out a policy for Sara about six months ago.  She has recently been diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency.  The tests for the diagnosis and the ongoing medication and diet are expensive but it is a help wth the insurance.  So far they have paid $732.79.  She will have to be on a medication that is pricey for life.  She has just had her first dose a few hours ago and so far so good.  The insurance I picked is Healthy Paws.

Anne
Anne

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
Re: Pet Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 04:49:51 PM »
:( sorry to hear about your pup

I have VPI for my dog, and since it seems once a year she gets into something. I pay about $300 a year for coverage, and I usually end up getting about $200-$300 back for all those "little" things that just happen with having an active dog. Drink out of a bad mud puddle, roll in a deer carcass...typically GI upsets of sorts from these sorts of things. And, I figure the one time she tears a pad, hurts a bone, etc. it will more than pay for itself. Not that we do things unsafe on purpose, but as active people tend to have more medical problems so do active dogs. Comes with the territory of bounding up and down mountains in steep karst terrain.
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

DebbieP

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
Hi Anne - I'm sorry to hear about your pup having EPI - but you were sooooo smart to get pet insurance beforehand!  I have a 12.5 year old GSD who was diagnosed with EPI at 10 months and I didn't have pet insurance then. : :(   Milo was my first agility dog, now retired due to disc issues in his back.  But he regularly still does tracking.  So EPI dogs can and do live long relatively healthy and happy lives!

BTW, if you're referring to pancreatine (or some other prescribed digestive enzyme),  I agree, the enzymes are expensive.  But there is an online buying "club" open to anyone to purchase pharmaceutical grade enzymes that the owner, Diane, repackages and sells.  No vet prescription needed. They are less expensive and I've used them for almost a decade now.  If you're interested, the web address is http://www.enzymediane.com/

Debbie - in Louisville KY with Dylan, Java Joe and the retired Milo
Debbie in Louisville KY with
Dylan the BC and Java Joe the amped-up All American

Anne Etherton

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
Thank you Debbie for the information about the supplement.  I will definitely be using the site.  Sara has now been on the special diet and powder for 6 days.  She is much improved.  This past weekend she was feeling so well that she leaped off the dog walk contact :), which she has hardly ever done!
Anne