Author Topic: traveling with dogs-- crate layouts- seatbelts etc.  (Read 852 times)

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
traveling with dogs-- crate layouts- seatbelts etc.
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:09:28 AM »
Just wondering if anyone out there has had some creative ideas on crating/restraining multiple dogs in vehicles.  We have a Ford Expedition and currently have 3 Border Collies in individual crates.  The two girls are 19-20 inches (30ish pounds) and are comfortable in a 30" crate.  The lone boy is big maybe 23" and about 50 pounds.  He is currently in a 36" crate.  We are hoping to add another BC sometime relatively soon and are trying to figure out how to fit four crates in the Expedition.  I've suggested seat belts for a couple of them and believe the Sleepypod belts would be safer than the wire crates they are currently in.  Would still like some room for a couple of duffle bags, a small cooler and 4 soft crates.

Any input?

Gina
Abbey, Trek, Shay .......
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: traveling with dogs-- crate layouts- seatbelts etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
I have used seat belts and my dogs have been very comfortable wearing and traveling in them. Having read all the good press about Sleepypods Clickit Sport model, I ordered one for our newest dog.  She measured for a medium and as far as fit it seems to be the correct size with lots of room for her 7 1/2 month old self to grow and mature.  HOWEVER she is still growing and about 50 lb and the medium is tested only for up to 45lb!!  (I ordered from Clean Run--I did not see a weight parameter on their web site, only chest measurement, the weight limit was in the packaging itself.). I can't imagine a dog that would fit this harness, except at it's very smallest adjustment, weighing much less than 45 lb.  And i can't imagine that a Large will fit our girl, now or in the future.  I plan to contact the company for clarification.
Just thought I'd share my experience.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • Agility Gypsy
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
I have three border collies....two in a 30x21 crates and one in a 36x24. I have always built platforms for the crates in my Van. I have a Toyota Sienna van, much smaller than your Ford. So I think your two smaller crates would fit fine across the back on a platform. I measured the height to see how high I could go with the platforms. I made them out of 2x4s and plywood but you could use pvc for the legs and plywood on top or have someone weld you a metal frame. The metal frame would give you a clear span under the platform. With wood, I needed to use a few legs in middle for support, but strategically put them so I could slide in my xpens on one side. I then drilled in eye bolts on platform to strap crates down.  I have 2-36" xpens under the platform, along with floor mat, my chairs, one fold up table, fold up cart, canopy, and other dog accessories. I made the platform sit back 18"  from the back door,so dogs have another step up to get into crates.Plus it gives me another place to pack groceries when going to store. Or traveling somewhere, I can pack more stuff. Plus if during a rear end collision it gives that much more room before making contact on any crate. I still have room next to the 36x24 crate, which is directly in front of one of the smaller crates and accessible from the side door.  I can pile up my gear next to the 36" side crate on the other side behind the driver door. It also leaves room for the 3rd seat if I want to put it in. I removed all my middle seats, rear ones fold into floor.   I also have Yakima roof pod to hold all my fans, shade mesh, and three soft crates if I need them.  Or any other crap that I might need to take.
Good luck with your endeavors.
Marj Vincent
Volt, Scotty & Java

Life's motto: "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!"

Heidi Konesko

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 07:06:31 AM »
I tried several well rated car harnesses and eventually bought the Allsafe for my two Aussies for short trips in the back seat of our pickup.  I'm not crazy about them though.  I MUCH prefer transporting them in crates, they can move around and change position more freely and I can leave them in the car without worrying about them tangling or strangling in the harnesses.  Also I don't worry about luggage or gear falling on them when they are in their crates, and I can more easily set up fans, hang a water dish, and use waterbeds in their crates.  I too have built a platform in my Honda Element and could fit three aussie/bc sized crates on it if I needed to.  I use Ruff Tough Kennels but there are many good choices nowadays.
When riding on the back seat I find that a hammock style seat cover that attaches to the head rests on the front and back seats, creating a sling-like area for the dogs to ride in, helps tremendously to keep the dogs on the seat, contain the dog hair, and gives me a spot to stash stuff on the floor in the back seat under the hammock.
Happy travels!
-Heidi in NH
Heidi in NH with Penny and Hi Jack
Molly and Sophie at the Bridge

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »
I understand that the Variocage products are great.  With a platform like Marj is suggesting, you should have plenty of room in an Expedition.  Here is their link.

http://www.mightymitedoggear.com/MIM_Variocage_crash_tested_Dog_Car_Crate.html

Jeff L.

Vicki Storrs

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Gunner kennels were 5 star rated after crash testing by the Center for Pet Safety.  Have not seen or used them myself, but will consider them if I swing purchasing the minivan this year.
The one drawback I would anticipate is that they are not as "see through" as the wire crates (they look more like a VariKennel) so if you elevate them with a platform they might obstruct your rear view.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Gunner kennels were 5 star rated after crash testing by the Center for Pet Safety.  Have not seen or used them myself, but will consider them if I swing purchasing the minivan this year.
The one drawback I would anticipate is that they are not as "see through" as the wire crates (they look more like a VariKennel) so if you elevate them with a platform they might obstruct your rear view.
Vicki

I have 2 of the Gunner Kennels and love them.  They are very well built and as you say safe - 5 star rating.  I also purchased their straps (2 that connect the 2 kennels to each other - and 4 that tie down the kennels to anchors inside the car), and their straps are also crash tested and 5 star rated.  And yes, they are not see through.  I have a Ford Transit Connect wagon so I have lots of room to store things and don't need platforms.  I can see over them without any real problem - though it's not a "clear" view.  Occasionally I have to stack things on top of the Gunners (Champs just always seems to require extra "stuff"  :) :)  When I do that I bungee those things on top and I can't really see directly behind me.  But my side mirrors both have blind spot mirrors built in so I still feel very comfortable that I can see all that I need to see.  My dogs - and others that have traveled with us - really seem to like their "cave" and we've done quite a few very long road trips with great success and comfort. 
Marcy, Toby, Abby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

cheyaut

• CheyAut Ranch
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:41:48 AM »
If you're on FB, there's an awesome group all about dog vehicle transport options and photos! :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DogSportVehicleIdeas/

For what it's worth, my border collie has a Kennebec crate and my papillon and mini aussies have RTK's.

Jessi
Jessi Zamboni