Author Topic: Challenge Stakes or Starter Stakes  (Read 653 times)

Peter Vogel

• Judge
Challenge Stakes or Starter Stakes
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »
Just a question, but I noticed the category previously called starter stakes changed last year to challenge stakes and this year is back to starter stakes.  Personally I thought the name challenge stakes more accurately reflected the category but it could just be me.  Did others prefer the title starter stakes?
Peter Vogel

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Challenge Stakes or Starter Stakes
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
Nothing terribly intentional, other than a cut and paste from a premium that had the older wording :)
I preferred starter stakes, but if folks really dislike it we can change it for good next year

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
I vote for Starter Stakes!  I couldnt understand the change last year :) 
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Peter Vogel

• Judge
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:46:39 PM »
Personally I prefer the label Challenge Stakes but maybe it has more to do with me and my dog.  My 9 year old corgi has competed in either Silver Stakes or Starter Stakes for each of the past 4 years and 2 years ago she won a championship cup.  At 9 years old, if I do go to Champs I would enter her in Starter Stakes as that distance I much more appropriate for her now, but I don't think of her as a "starter" dog in the stakes division.

Just my thoughts!
Peter Vogel

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:01:57 PM »
I dont think it has anything to do with age or level of dog... it is the first "level" of the Stakes classes and it begins with an S like all the other stakes.  I wouldnt take it personally as it is just a name :)
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure Sharon posted why it was changed from "Starter" to "Challenge" but I honestly don't remember what the reason was. I always felt that Starter described the level of difficulty better than Challenge, as all the levels are a challenge!  ;) I can see Peter's point about Paulie's *experience level* not being a "starter" dog in the Stakes program - since she has competed in Stakes a few times and has been in Silver Stakes. What makes Peter's point is that NADAC allows us to go up *and* down in the classes with the same dog rather than requiring us to only go up and stay up. That's pretty darn unusual! (I am NOT complaining!  :)) But, IMHO, for clarity's sake, I'd kind of prefer Starter as it's more descriptive of the level.

-Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Amanda Nelson

• Fluid Motion Agility
  • Judge
  • Fluid Motion Agility-For the Athlete in Your Dog!
    • Fluid Motion Agility
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »
I prefer Starter Stakes as I feel it defines the level better than Challenge Stakes (as Kyle said). I also like having all the Stakes classes start with "S", I always thought that was very cool! :-D
Amanda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amanda Nelson
Online Classes and Private Lessons available!
--
For the Athlete in Your Dog!
www.fluidmotionagility.com

AndreaEntin

• Judge
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 07:26:39 PM »
I like starter stakes.  8)

Andrea