Author Topic: GotDog? Lark Memorial CANCELED  (Read 741 times)

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
GotDog? Lark Memorial CANCELED
« on: August 11, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »
This trial is officially canceled.
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
Re: Mdt-AA cancelling a trial too ? Maybe
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
Sorry to hear of anyone cancelling a trial. But I am close to doing just that. Been struggling for the last couple of years. Actually, I have been personally paying the bills so others can run their dogs. I'm a small business not a club. I have lots of expenses and I pay income tax. I had to drop doing raffles and workers tickets. I have always had large NATCH ribbons and some special award ribbons but those may have to go away. Never did I have title ribbons. I'm just about ready to give up putting on trials after 30 years. How very sad. Why does everyone think I owe them something. No one says thank you or can I help you, everyone wants to get paid for every job. All I hear is, "you should charge less for your entries."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:49:33 PM by Lin Battaglia »

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
Re: GotDog? Lark Memorial CANCELED
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 08:53:58 PM »
That is sad Lin .  The world in general has become one with a focus on entitlement.  We the agility community should all protect our wonderful sport from this and strive to do what we can do help those who make it available to us all.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »
We are very lucky to have a great group of people in Minnesota.  Our trials are much smaller than they used to be, but people that attend are typically very nice and we always get at least a couple of thank you's.

We have kept our entries as low as possible and will continue to hold trials as long as we can at least break even.  I find it unfortunate that people seem to feel a greater sense of accomplishment running the more international type courses. 

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
I feel very sad for Jeannie Biggers of Got Dog as she has done so much for the sport in her area too. Maybe those complaining and not supporting should walk in our shoes. Let them take on the financial responsibility and do all the work. There's a big difference between a small business and a club.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:27:05 AM by Lin Battaglia »

agilityaddict2

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:08:16 AM »
I am fairly new to agility,31/2 years. From the beginning I have done both nadac  and akc. There are things that I like and dislike about each venue. It is interesting to see that in the past 31/2 years the akc trials I attend are packed and many have waiting lists. The nadac trials seem to be getting smaller. As a group we have to look at this and try to figure out why this is so. I personally really don't know the answer. If I had to choose I would pick nadac, but clearly many don't agree. Chris has instituted many positive changes and hopefully these changes will help.

Becky Woodruff

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »
Lin,
It is my understanding that the main reason Jeannie's Got Dog? trial was cancelled was because of a "scare" about some dog flu like symptoms poppiing up in the area.  People became concerned about a trial situation where dogs are in fairly close proximity with each other.
Becky

I feel very sad for Jeannie Biggers of Got Dog as she has done so much for the sport in her area too. Maybe those complaining and not supporting should walk in our shoes. Let them take on the financial responsibility and do all the work. There's a big difference between a small business and a club.
Becky Woodruff

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
Yes, I was reminded of that. I hope everyone is well. We are here and this is not why I might cancel a trial.  Thx Becky.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:01:38 PM »

I "think" Jeannie cancelled because of a virus in the area in Montana.  She was looking out for the best interests of the dogs.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »
Yes there was panic in the streets about dog flu that they now know is not a flu but something they havent identified.  It basically is kennel cough (just another to add to the 100+ strains already out there).  There was a vet in town that got the media on a panic driven path and said 3 dogs had died of what he was calling the flu.  Well 1 dog had cancer and another had heart disease but the media never told anyone that. 

I did have a few dogs come away from being at my July trial with basically this weird kennel cough.  2 of the 3 families that had this happen were coming back in Aug as they said they were not worried about it.  But between the barn owners vet having him in a panic and the media having the town in a panic I just pulled the plug :( 

Trials are happening again in the area and the media has shut up at least for now.  20,000 students are back for college with who knows how many dogs so hopefully it doesnt explode again... sigh
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT