Author Topic: Route to Ohio/Things Along the Way  (Read 432 times)

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Route to Ohio/Things Along the Way
« on: September 05, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
So, to get to Sunbury, I drive 30 miles, get on I-70, then could drive 1600 miles on I-70 to the Columbus area.  Whew.

I've done the I-70 route to Illinois a few times, but am always looking out for new things to see along the way.
I may take other roads that parallel the interstate - unless I get behind schedule! 

Usually, I'll stay at KOA or a state park.  Especially with a youngster along for the ride, we'll need to stop and walk/play along the way.
THAT said, I'm totally paranoid (yep) about fleas and ticks, so we won't be doing any serious woods or tall grass walks.  (Bummer, as that would be my choice otherwise!)

Any ideas of really fun, short, interesting places to stop? 1-2 hour walks? 

A couple of my favs:
Goodland, Kansas - KOA.  Fairly typical campground, but the sweetest guy from Poland who runs the place. AND behind the campground is a VERY large field where dogs can run.  No fence, but not near busy roads.

Gibbon, Nebraska:  (nope, not on I-70, but I-80!):  Windmill State Recreation Area.  Small park, nice campground, old windmills, and a bunch of little lakes for the anglers.

Hoping that some of you other "plains travelers" can point me towards some fun areas!
PM is fine, though I'm sure there are at least a few others that may like you to share here.
Thanks,
diane

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
Re: Route to Ohio/Things Along the Way
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:42:59 AM »
I don't have any suggestions except to never come to San Diego, flea capital of the world!  We even have a road named "Las Pulgas" ("the fleas" in Spanish).
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:18:09 AM »
It has been a while since I have been there, but Mill Creek in Clark County, IL (about 30 miles west of the Indiana border) is pretty nice.  They have some walking trails right off of the parking lot of varying lengths and a camp ground.  https://www.clarkcountyparkdistrict.com/

Lincoln Trail State Park is in Marshall, IL  (just about 15 miles west of the Indiana border)  https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/LincolnTrail.aspx

Not for dogs, but there is a great winery (Copper Dock) about an hour west of St. Louis in a little town called Pocahontas

Just north of 1-70 out of Greenup (off of 130) is Fox Ridge State Park.  It is a nice place.  https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Activity/Pages/FoxRidge.aspx

Just a few ideas from Illinois....
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »
I believe you'll find that Pocahontas, IL and Copper Dock Winery are east of St Louis in Illinois.  There is a Pocahontas, Mo but it is south of St. Louis.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
I believe you'll find that Pocahontas, IL and Copper Dock Winery are east of St Louis in Illinois.  There is a Pocahontas, Mo but it is south of St. Louis.

Oops!  Got my directions backwards!  Yes, it is east of St. Louis.... 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso