Author Topic: VT course sizes  (Read 416 times)

VT course sizes
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
I read to do VT's that will have jumps your course size must be 80x100. Is there any flexibility to that?  I have a agility field that is more like 65x 140. I assume the requirement is based on placement of jumps/courses designed. When I go to look at the weeks available courses, say a hoopers course, will it show minimum ring size there?  Next year I will take over part of my pasture for larger area but would love to get started on this option. Thanks!

Re: VT course sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Oops,  forgot to sign my name.
Suzanne Milleson

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:25:42 AM »
I read to do VT's that will have jumps your course size must be 80x100. Is there any flexibility to that?  I have a agility field that is more like 65x 140. I assume the requirement is based on placement of jumps/courses designed. When I go to look at the weeks available courses, say a hoopers course, will it show minimum ring size there?  Next year I will take over part of my pasture for larger area but would love to get started on this option. Thanks!

I won't address flexibility - but the course maps DO show the ring size. Open the map and look at the numbers on the top (width of the course) and down the side (length of the course).

Marcy, Toby, Abby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »
You could set it up in a smaller field, IF the course design permits it.    Sadly there are no guarantees for that.

Sometimes you will find a course that doesn't use the full width of the course, and in that scenario you could set it up.   

Ed Scharringhausen

• Judge
  • Run As One!
    • Run As One Agility
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 07:18:13 AM »
You could set it up in a smaller field, IF the course design permits it.

So Chris, even though the handbook 'clearly' states: "The minimum ring size is 80x100 for all classes with jumps."

You are saying disregard that??
Ed Scharringhausen

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
Thank you Chris for the info. Very helpful!  And I, myself, do not interpret that the original 80x100 requirement is not to be followed. You were very clear, in my opinion. 👍🏼
Suzanne Milleson

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
Same question I asked almost two years ago, same answer from Sharon :)

I understand it now to be actually that the course design is what is 80x100 minimum. Aka you can't design a course with jumps to go on 60x120 or something. So your ring size has to be assumed to be 80x100minimum for those doing course designs. Doesn't mean all the levels will use that whole field (hence, neither do you for VT as long as there is sufficient room - remember edges need buffers often, like if doing a pinwheel on an edge they need curve space), that just has to be base ring size in the design.

The way it is written, in my opinion, actually says that now in re-reading it, but I was confused initially as well!
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
You could set it up in a smaller field, IF the course design permits it.

So Chris, even though the handbook 'clearly' states: "The minimum ring size is 80x100 for all classes with jumps."

You are saying disregard that??

Sharon and Myself are saying that, yes.   As we have said in the past as well.