Author Topic: Veteran 12 yr old dog jump height  (Read 349 times)

reillybug

• Reilly's mom
Veteran 12 yr old dog jump height
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
So my dog is now 12.  When he turned 9 we moved him to Veteran and down to 16" ( as he was jumping 20 before).  I have now been told that since he is 12 we have to move down yet ANOTHER jump height.  Jumping my dog at 12 inches is a bit much.  He is still very active and jumps 20 inches in USDAA and AKC on a regular basis.  Is there anyway I can keep him at 16 inches?  Running him around a jumpers course at 12 inches will be the death of me.   ;D

Thank you

Jeff Lyons

• Judge
Re: Veteran 12 yr old dog jump height
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »
Hi,

It is great to have a partner that's 12 years old!  However, it is a per the Exhibitor's Handbook:

"After their 12th birthday dogs must enter the Skilled Category, Veteran Division"

So, this means that a dog like yours, whose proficient standard jump height is 20" must take both the Skilled and Veteran height breaks and jump 12".

Jeff L.

reillybug

• Reilly's mom
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
Yes I am fortunate that he can run like he does at his age and he still loves it.  Thanks for the answer.  He's going to take the jumps like they aren't even there :)

RobertStewart

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »
This is a great opportunity to hone your distance work. It will in the long run be better for your dogs joints! Tje impact i juries can i crease wirh age. My 11 yr old can still jump a 16 inch with room to spare. Dropped him to 12 ad he hit 8 yrs now hes 11 so moved him to 8 skilled Veteran dog and VET HANDLER
Robert Stewart

NATCH-8, V-NATCH-7, MACH-2, ADCH/LAA Platinum Rocket Man

NATCH-4, V-NATCH 4, MACH, PDCH/LAA - Bronze, Ellie

HarryMelamed

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
At my Stanley's 6th birthday I'm starting to stress about moving to the veteran class.   He's about 19" at his shoulders and we jump 16" in skilled and I can barely keep up with him.

Maybe I can get an override.

:)

KathieT

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
My 14" Mini Aussie jumped 4" vet dog.  She could make 20+P time with plenty of time left if I was on my game.  She ran a touch n go course in 5.5 yps.  If you know me, you know that I could never run to keep up with her.  NADAC courses are perfect for distance and then running is not an issue..Lyon just have to get your brain to work faster.  😁

Kathie and Red
Kathie
Beulah WY