Author Topic: How to glue down the black rubber contacts  (Read 338 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
How to glue down the black rubber contacts
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »
We have a sanded paint surfaced a-frame.  We are looking to glue down the black rubber on it.  I seem to remember instructions on how to do this but cannot find any specific instruction on the forum.

Any help will be appreciated.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
Re: How to glue down the black rubber contacts
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:04:19 AM »
I ended up using liquid nails. Way easier and held better than contact cement. Two years almost now and still fine
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

JimmyS.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »
Contact cement is the best but a lot of prep is needed and multiple layers need to be applied.... Iím sure liquid nails works too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
Jimmy,

Could you please send more detailed instructions to me at jan.and.bbs@gmail.com?

Thanks
Janice Shavor

paragonpaps

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:52:05 AM »
Jimmy,

Can you please post the details here?  I am getting ready to resurface my dog walk.

Thanks
Wanda
Wanda, Gab, Igor, Rogue, Lilith and Godzilla

JimmyS.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
A new surface is obviously best but if you canít do new wood, make sure and sand it down to fresh wood as best yet u can and clean the surface off with a little lacquer thinner on a rag. If your surface under the rubber is metal, same process, sand sand sand until it is clean.

Lay the rubber upside down on something right next the piece of equipment itís going on. Apply the contact cement with a brush to the back side of the rubber and to the top of the wood or metal. Let it get almost ďdryĒ to the point that itís tacky but not still wet (usually 5-10 min) Then apply another layer on both pieces. Either 2 thicker layers (takes longer to dry in between) or 3 relatively thin layers. ALWAYS let them dry to a tacky state in between. When the last layer is on, again, let it get tacky and then lay some cardboard right on the glue, on 90% of the equipment and lay the rubber glue side down on top. This lets you get started with sticking them together without everything sticking at once. Once the two pieces touch each other, there is virtually no turning back.
Get an edge started and line everything up. Push firmly when you have it where you want it and then start working down the piece, removing the cardboard as you go.

Once it is all down, use some sort of roller to really push it down in every area. Or just spend lots of time with your hands making sure itís pressed down firmly everywhere.

Take a knife around the edges and slice off any excess rubber and your done. Let it sit for a few hours just to let it set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »
Here is the problem. this is not wood or fiberglas surface.  The sanded paint surface is on top of a very thin aluminum film, not sure it is thick enough to call a sheet.  The local guy who built most of our equipment said he was afraid to try to get the textured / sandy paint off because if the aluminum surface integrity was broken, then we might have major structural issues.  So, there is no cleaning down via sanding down to the film.  Lacquer thinner might work.

Thanks, Jimmy.  That is a very clear description of using the contact cement.
Janice Shavor

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:09:03 AM »
It sounds like I didnt do enough coats of the cement to work well based on that.
The liquid nails worked well to fix my poor cement job though haha!
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith