Author Topic: Need to talk to a retired a-frame builder in Kentucky  (Read 152 times)

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Need to talk to a retired a-frame builder in Kentucky
« on: December 13, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
I need to talk to Fred Jackson of Mayfield, KY about the a-frame he built for our club a number of years ago.

Specifically, I need to know what the material he used for the ramps is called.  We want to put the black rubber on it.  But, the surface is NOT wood or fiberglass.  The ramp is some kind of composite material with a very, very thin skin of Aluminum just below the sanded paint.

I need to be fairly sure that contact glue will stick.  I do not want areas coming unstuck because the sanded paint lets go.

I do know Fred no longer builds agility equipment and I am NOT asking him to do anything.  Just want to know if the paint is latex or oil and what the aluminum skin / other stuff if called.  I AM absolutely sure that it has a technical name that will help us decide what to do.

This was built about 10 years ago, I think.

My direct contact info is

Janice Shavor
jan.and.bbs@gmail.com
256-656-9787

Thanks.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow

Rena Bonem

• Trial Secretary
    • Baylor University Home Page
Re: Need to talk to a retired a-frame builder in Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
The material is called alucobond.  It is the material used to construct structures in Epcot Center and Honda or Toyota dealerships as I recall.  Our original NADAC A-frame and dog walk were made by him.  We put the DAP contact cement on the sanded paint surface, but you need to use at least 3 coats on the alucobond and on the rubber letting it dry between each coat and then stick it together when the 4th coat is tacky.  Do this when the temperature is ideally in the 70's with low humidity and it is not windy out!  If it is too hot or cold or very windy, the rubber will not stick as well.

It took about 3 years outside before the rubber started to shed fiber glass threads and we had to replace it. 

Rena
Rena Bonem, Trial Secretary Waco Agility Group
Brady and Lady Bug, Will'em retired, Goldie: under couch potato, and Lucy and Tess, my agility angels

Janice_Shavor

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Need to talk to a retired a-frame builder in Kentucky
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »
Thank you so very much!!  Our club equipment lives in a trailer.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, Walker & the shadow