Author Topic: Be kind to your doggie - be kind to yourself  (Read 552 times)

HarryMelamed

Be kind to your doggie - be kind to yourself
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
After a truly trying weekend of agility where some of the fellow competitors didn't exhibit what I would call appropriate behavior for adults, remember that you are out there for fun, and fun with your dog.   

If being at a trial is so stressful that you can't control your own behavior and you are afraid for others safety around your dog, you shouldn't be there. 

Agility is a super fun sport.  Getting that connection with your dog is my nirvana.  Ok, maybe not every time, don't ask Stanley.    But the other half of the story is making sure your dog has the best time ever.

And finally, agility reminds me of an old adage that I picked up from public toilets in the early years.

Here I set so broken hearted, paid my dime and only farted...

Four you youngsters out there, we used to have to pay to go poop.  Usually a dime.

Why be so broken hearted?   You didn't poop in your pants and surely the gas release gave you some much needed release.

Same with agility..   You pay your dime, well maybe $12 to enter.  You come to the start line and off you go.    Dog is running, you are running, trying to maintain that connection and CRAP! the doggie went off on an unexpected journey.   

Does the dog know?   Nope
Does the dog care?  Nope
Is this dog having fun? Always

So my message is, enjoy the moment, have the same fun that your dog is having, love your doggie, love yourself, try to do better next time.  And remember that farting is a very healthy activity. 

We are taking a break from agility until the situation improves here.   Not sure we will be back.    But if we do, you can be sure we will be out there having fun,

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:31:01 AM by HarryMelamed »

Rosemary

Re: Be kind to your doggie - be kind to yourself
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Well this just makes me sad.  I have always said that I will stop doing agility when my dog(s) stop enjoying it.  It makes my heart swell to know that I have found an activity that they absolutely love while it breaks when my senior can no longer play due to age issues. He so loves to play.

The life of a dog is far to short to allow for unhappy times.  Laugh at the mistakes and learn from them.

I remember at a briefing one day the judge reminded everyone that the dog neither filled out the entry nor did it drive to the event.  Your dog is where you bring him or her and will do his or her best to make you happy.  What a wonderful friend!

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:43:44 AM »
We don't know each other but how sad Harry. However, taking a break is good sometimes. For me it is a business but I'd rather be at a dog show as it sure beats yard work, cleaning house or doing laundry any day in my book. My dogs have taken me so many places and I have met so many wonderful people. Being with friends and their wonderful dogs...we laugh together, cry together, play together. Say good bye to old dogs together and welcome new puppies together. It isn't about the Qs or winning. We all know how hard it is to get all those obstacles right. Just remember..."It's only a dog show" come back and have fun.     

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
I also don't know you Harry but I'm sorry to hear that.  Hopefully a break will refresh and revive you.  Don't give up on your fellow humans.  Sometimes we need a little help.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris on Mushtown Road

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Harry,
You can always come back to MN for another visit, because we are pretty good at the things that make the sport fun for humans and dogs.

Chris
who does remember you!
Chris in MN
Maggie, Winn and DDare

Mary Kapner

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 08:14:02 AM »
I would guess there were only one or two.  As in anything, there always are.  All the judges that I am exposed to always remind us at the briefings that we are there to have have fun with our dogs.  Don't let a couple party poopers  here or there sour you.  The majority of handlers and dogs are having a great time.  Those that become so negative don't last long anyway. 
Mary Kapner
"Poodle This!"

Peter Vogel

• Judge
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Harry,

Reading your comments made me a little sad - but I have some thoughts.  First of all, we don't give our 4 legged partners enough credit for how truly amazing they are.  They try so hard and perfection should never be more important than the effort they give us (although effort would be pretty hard for a judge to score). 

Most of us running agility have witnessed some version of the story you shared, but my advice to you is two fold - 1) the Judge's are there for several reasons and one of which is to manage this type of behavior, so trust they will address the situation and deal with it appropriately (but realize they are unlikely to do so in public), and 2) don't stop playing agility with your dogs just because a couple of people don't understand how to treat their agility partner - what I find is if these people continue to trial, over time they usually learn how to better respect their dogs.
Peter Vogel