Author Topic: Regional info  (Read 4195 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Regional info
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:33 AM »
And if the Maryland trial is snowed out?? With the winter we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised if we are still having blizzards by end of March. How is it that all the other dates are more firmly entrenched in spring/summer?

There is only so much we can do.   We're trying not to do any regionals past the middle of August.   So that it's a legitimate regional qualifier for the current year.     And since we really want to hash this idea out very well before we let clubs do it on their own, one of the NADAC staff has to be present.    That limits the scheduling pretty severely for 2018 since we are already fairly busy

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 02:26:41 AM »
Quote from Chris:"We wouldn't allow someone to win multiple times.    They could attend multiple ones, but once they win they are no longer in contention for winning another."

Follow up question: if someone who had already won a regional attended another Regional, and came in first place, with the person who came in number 2 be the winner, or would there be no winner at all for that particular class in the second Regional?
Sheila & the Shelties

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
Quote from Chris:"We wouldn't allow someone to win multiple times.    They could attend multiple ones, but once they win they are no longer in contention for winning another."

Follow up question: if someone who had already won a regional attended another Regional, and came in first place, with the person who came in number 2 be the winner, or would there be no winner at all for that particular class in the second Regional?

It would go to the next in line :)

We'll have to work out specifics for those scenarios, like whether we would still announce them as the winner, but give the invite and bye to #2.

I don't expect it to be a huge occurrence, because the regionals are spread out pretty far

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 03:10:02 AM »
And if the Maryland trial is snowed out?? With the winter we've been having, I wouldn't be surprised if we are still having blizzards by end of March. How is it that all the other dates are more firmly entrenched in spring/summer?

Quite frankly I would rather run my dogs in cooler early spring weather. And having been to both Maryland sites - which are lovely with great footing and indoors and lots of parking - probably some of  the criteria for the regional - I can tell you that I GO there in winter to escape the NY Snow bc they often do not have the snow that we get in NY . Thirdly, the liklihood of a "blizzard" in Maryland the end of March / start of April is highly unlikely - not that it couldn't happen but it's unlikely here in NY too at that time of year (speaking of the areas where you live Lisa, and where I live - which are not that far apart - not speaking of Buffalo).
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
Just wondering IF Gamblers were to return would Chances remain as a class?

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »

Gina

Absolutely!

Right now it's going to be so distinctively different from Chances that I can't foresee Chances going away.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
Awesome!  I miss Gamblers but really find Chances to be a lot of fun.
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
Can someone give me a summary of the NADAC version of gamblers?  We have never seen it.

Isabel and Cocoa
Isabel and Cocoa

Ed and Dino

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 04:31:36 PM »

Gina

Absolutely!

Right now it's going to be so distinctively different from Chances that I can't foresee Chances going away.

I understand this new Gamblers will be tried at Regionals but I would be concerned to see NADAC bring in another game and then lose any existing one.

NADAC has 8 classes already and in some areas it is hard to find Hoopers or Barrelers. I would dislike either of these to go away. I never liked Strategic Hoopers so to lose one of these for a strategy game is not appealing to me.

For those trials that stick to the 6 older classes then I would hate to see one of those switched out for a new class.

I remember seeing the old Gambler's being run once (2004?) when visiting a trial before I started entering trials and it was very confusing to me watching, I didn't understand it at all. Of course at this same trial I remember seeing a person run with their dog and not use any verbal commands and I thought that dog might do better with some verbal commands. The dog was deaf and I was a very green dog agility spectator.
Ed & Dino (At the Bridge)
Morristown, NJ

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
Can someone give me a summary of the NADAC version of gamblers?  We have never seen it.

Isabel and Cocoa

To give an example of what it used to be wouldn't really be too helpful, since the way we used to do things was pretty drastically different from what we would be doing now.

We also are a little cautious about posting any rules online.    Since this is strictly a test run to see if it could even work it's very possible the rules will evolve over the course of each regional.   So to post a rule set, only to have it change would be detrimental to a lot of folks.

So we'll just lay out the rules at the events to avoid any confusion :)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2018, 08:34:17 AM »

Gina

Absolutely!

I understand this new Gamblers will be tried at Regionals but I would be concerned to see NADAC bring in another game and then lose any existing one.

NADAC has 8 classes already and in some areas it is hard to find Hoopers or Barrelers. I would dislike either of these to go away. I never liked Strategic Hoopers so to lose one of these for a strategy game is not appealing to me.

For those trials that stick to the 6 older classes then I would hate to see one of those switched out for a new class.

I remember seeing the old Gambler's being run once (2004?) when visiting a trial before I started entering trials and it was very confusing to me watching, I didn't understand it at all. Of course at this same trial I remember seeing a person run with their dog and not use any verbal commands and I thought that dog might do better with some verbal commands. The dog was deaf and I was a very green dog agility spectator.

Different strokes for different folks :)

It all comes down to supply and demand.   If a certain area really wants to do hoopers and barrelers then they wouldn't need to offer these.

If they really want to offer these they don't need to offer hoopers and barrelers.     Contrary to how a lot of folks think, you really don't need to offer every single class the venue has on a trial weekend!    It's okay to only play the games that people in that area enjoy.

With Barrelers now being allowed in VT runs, and Hoopers always being allowed it does open up those classes to be run outside of a trial for the folks who really want to.   And the equipment cost for those two classes is incredibly low in comparison to any other class.

The other thing to remember, is these are only tests.   Even if things went incredibly well and every single area of the country loved them, it's still not going to come be a NADAC class until everything is worked out very, very well.   And that takes time

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »
Have there been any decisions made regarding Bonus runs at Regionals?  I know you had said you'd be discussing it further.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »
Oh, I would LOVE to see a strategic game return!  I always loved the "old" Gamblers. (and heck, I liked strategic hoopers too....so there I am!)

The reasons (at least the ones I heard) for it going away made no sense to me, but I won't go there.

I (flame suit on) also do USDAA, and their gamblers is much like NADAC's old version.
BUT each and every course/judge has different rules!  One might say "contact to contact is OK" or they might say "no contact to contact without another obstacle in-between" or "back to back OK" or "back to back not OK."  I've never seen a problem with these individual "rules!"  So, competitors are essentially prohibited from creating unsafe courses.  It all depends on how the obstacles are arranged whether contact to contact is safe or not (etc.). 

All THAT said, yeah, I get the "we have enough different classes now."  And while it might not *replace* Chances, if a club wanted to offer it, there might be inclination to drop something else.
And hopefully the long-term "what will it mean" will be considered:  added to another level of NATCH?  or other award?  Yeah, I like having goals, but won't run my dogs in all classes when there are so many. 

Looking forward to more details!  (as I won't likely get to any regional....)

diane

Roger Coor

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
No Regional anywhere in the Southwest?  Washington and East Texas are a long way away.

Connie Day

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
No Regional anywhere in the Southwest?  Washington and East Texas are a long way away.
There was already a regional in Reno, NV.  Wouldn't that cover the Southwest?