Author Topic: Standard Course Times for 2018 and beyond  (Read 1264 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Standard Course Times for 2018 and beyond
« on: January 13, 2018, 07:27:05 AM »
Standard Course Time calculations for 2018!

This video will explain our new method for calculating the SCT.   Which will be updated once a year in June.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Re: Standard Course Times for 2018 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
Very interesting.  Thanks for continuing to keep us updated on what you are doing!
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:53:39 AM »
Before anyone chimes in that this will make the Standard Course Times incredibly unfair.   That's not what the smaller sets of data have shown.

By looking at ALL clean runs, not just the Qualifying runs it keeps the average in check.

If we only looked at Q's, then yes it wouldn't be very nice.    But if you have 3 dogs that have a 5.5 YPS Regular run, and 8 dogs that have a 3 YPS, that makes the average 3.68 YPS.   Not saying that is what will happen, but there are more slower dogs than wicked fast dogs.   

And in the few trials where I tested out the idea, the numbers all seemed pretty accurate.    Large dogs got a bit more time, small dogs stayed pretty close to the same, maybe a smidge less time for the really small dogs, but not a huge change.

So we'll see how the big numbers come out.   But I have a lot of faith in the way we're doing it now

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
Might it be better to implement the course time changes just after Champs?  That way if times get tighter, folks who really thought they would be qualifying for Champs, might  no longer able to do that.   so gather the data, but implement it as of the week after Champs. 

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
Might it be better to implement the course time changes just after Champs?  That way if times get tighter, folks who really thought they would be qualifying for Champs, might  no longer able to do that.   so gather the data, but implement it as of the week after Champs. 

Isabel

The qualifying period for Champs is August to August.   Which is what folks would be worried about changing.   
So we could change it to take effect on August 1st.

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:11:01 PM »
That would be good. 

Thanks.

Isabel

Isabel and Cocoa

agilityschips

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
Sounds like a very logical and scientific approach to establishing SCT.

Thank you for continuing to make NADAC a balanced and fun venue.

I appreciated the shout-out to Schipperkes when explaining the different running styles between breeds ;-) Not all teams that enjoy NADAC are BCs. The little guys get the job done too... just not as fast and with many more strides!

Kathy Swan & the LBD (little black dogs) girls

mablives

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »
Will you be visiting all over the country to get your averages?

Foomin Z

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »

Isabel

The qualifying period for Champs is August to August.   Which is what folks would be worried about changing.   
So we could change it to take effect on August 1st.

Any rule change that may effect qualifying for champs should be held until the beginning of the next qualifying period, for this and any other ideas, now and in the future.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
Will you be visiting all over the country to get your averages?

Yup!

Every part of the country, and multiple surfaces.