Author Topic: Two new ways to improve the sport  (Read 801 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Two new ways to improve the sport
« on: February 13, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
We're very excited to announce two new ways that we're hoping to improve this lovely sport that we all love.

The first is in regards to course times. We are reviewing course times in the following months and we decided that while our reviewers will have a strong value on the new times. We do want as much data as possible when making these decisions.

Because of this we have created a new submission page where handlers can submit how long it takes their dogs to perform certain obstacles. Submissions with video to validate their numbers will hold a much higher value.

This page can be found here: https://www.nadac.com/SpeedSubmission.html

The second is to start a database for the purpose of tracking dog injuries in the sport. Because we feel this is such an important topic we are not limiting the submissions to NADAC only dogs. Handlers from any venue will be allowed to submit injuries their dogs have sustained while competing.

Again submissions with more evidence to support their claims will have the most value.

This injury database is also 100% transparent with all submissions being view-able directly after they are submitted.

We feel that for all that we ask of our dogs it's only right that we take care of them as much as possible. And we hope that by tracking injuries from every venue and obstacle involved we can achieve that goal.

The injury submission page can be found here:
https://www.nadac.com/Injuries.html

Both of these links can also be found on the home page of the NADAC.com site.

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Two new ways to improve the sport
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Chris,

Is there a time frame for these speed submissions?  can we take a video from a trial, measure the times for various obstacles, and submit those along with that video?

do you want only elite level dogs?

Isabel

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:23:19 PM »
No time frame :)  we will be adjusting times in August.   So before then would be good.

Since we're focusing more on individual obstacles for this particular data set it won't matter on the level of dogs

Foomin Z

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:18:09 PM »
The thing that has injured my dogs the most at agility trials is another dog leaving the ring during their run in order to attack my dog while we waited outside the ring for our turn. Obstacles haven't been a problem because I will over-handle my dog in order to give them a safe path. Unfortunately, not much can be done about people who want to enter aggressive dogs. :(

Amy McGovern

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
Chris, do you really want the dog's age at time of submission or do you want it at time of injury?  Seems like injury makes more sense.

-Amy who is slightly traumatized tonight by going back and watching the runs where Libby tore her ACL
Amy and the schnauzers

BeckyAH

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:31:01 PM »
I do not want to come across as critical; this is a sincere offer.

If you ever want pages or communications proof-read or edited, please let me know.  I can't promise perfection, but editing for publications is what I do.

support

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:51 AM »

If you ever want pages or communications proof-read or edited, please let me know.  I can't promise perfection, but editing for publications is what I do.

That would be amazing!  I tend to type somewhat hastily when Iím excited about something.   So some spell checking and grammar corrections would be welcomed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »
And I love editing too!  ❤️
Diane

BeckyAH

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »

That would be amazing!  I tend to type somewhat hastily when Iím excited about something.   So some spell checking and grammar corrections would be welcomed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any time!

mablives

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 03:40:05 PM »
Would you like trial situations or training?  My MaxY goes faster across the contacts in a trail then in training.

Mullis

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
The thing that has injured my dogs the most at agility trials is another dog leaving the ring during their run in order to attack my dog while we waited outside the ring for our turn. Obstacles haven't been a problem because I will over-handle my dog in order to give them a safe path. Unfortunately, not much can be done about people who want to enter aggressive dogs. :(

I hate this kind of stuff too. Entering aggressive dogs should be discouraged imo.

BeckyAH

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »

I hate this kind of stuff too. Entering aggressive dogs should be discouraged imo.

Aggressive dogs being entered is discouraged - by clubs, by judges, and by NADAC.  There are ways to report it and consequences for doing it.

The real problem is that it's almost impossible to PREVENT, or to do anything about preemptively for many reasons, including the fact that many of the most aggressive dogs out there are absolutely silent, still and in no way giving 'warning signs' that will be seen without a really close, hard, look by a very dog savvy person. 

And many of the dogs barking their heads off are anything BUT aggressive - especially in an agility trial.

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
I think if anyone has a concern about the behaviour of a dog or indeed a person at a trial then they should voice that concern discreetly with trial officials (ie Judge and Trial Sec) at the trial.  An email to the office outlining your concerns including details of who and why is also a step that can be taken.  Then proper procedures to investigate and deal with the  "issue" can be employed.  NADAC I am sure addresses all "issues" with sensitivity, confidentiality and would deal with each situation on an individual basis.

Shirlene Clark
Australia