Author Topic: Tunnels/tunnel bags  (Read 2311 times)

Laura Anne Welch

Re: Tunnels/tunnel bags
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 06:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I have learned more in reading them.  There is the issue that too many places have too many inadequate tunnel bags-those that don't close properly, those that are too flimsy and/or are poorly maintained. Also, it drives me NUTS to see the straps of tunnel bags put so that the fabric sags below the wires.  I saw the video from Europe where a junior handler sent his dog into a tunnel where the strap was over the fabric and not the wires, and the dog didn't come out.  It had run into the strap and broken its neck.  This was two or three years ago. 

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 06:23:45 PM »
That drives me crazy too!!!!!  I have had a man who was helping tell me that the straps HAD to go between the wires and change it after I had set it.  Someone who doesn't primarily do NADAC. After he went off the course I put it back!!!!!
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

MoabDiane

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2018, 06:15:15 AM »
Off topic of tunnels, but safety: my well-trained, very calm, not over-driven five-year-old dog crashed a metal jump this weekend.   It was in chances, We had already NQed, And I was trying to work on it. Bad handling, dog suffered.   Physically she seems fine, mentally not so much.  She got a good going over, no sore spots noted.  But this just points out - again- that just because NADAC courses don’t generally require those “dangerous” tight turns over jumps, that metal jumps are just fine.  I totally own the handling error, and my dog is fine.  Just sayin’.... it can’t always be safe.

Diane