Author Topic: Carpal wraps at trials?  (Read 311 times)

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
Carpal wraps at trials?
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »

What is NADACís stance on wearing carpal wraps in the ring?  Seems like I saw a dog doing this once, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
Robin

BeckyAH

Re: Carpal wraps at trials?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »
Carpal wraps/leg wraps are allowed as long as they are not 'excessive'.   I don't remember where it's buried in the handbook, but I'm about 95% sure that's the language.

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »

So the Back on Track ones should be OK then?

Thinking my boy could use a little more support in that area.

Robin

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
This may all be a moot question.  I put a wrap on him and he started walking funny.  Kinda like how a horse wearing tennis shoes in the knee deep snow might walk.  Lol!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:58:03 PM by knittingdog »

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
Yes carpal wraps are allowed in the ring.  Put them both on then go do something fun... it will take his mind off of having something on his feet.  BUT before you jump him in a trial make sure you do some practicing with them on.  They do need to get used them a bit while performing.

Jeannie
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com
Bozeman, MT

Lindsey Cooper

• Trial Secretary
    • Mountain Dog Sports
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »
Like Jeannie says - get him out doing something fun and he'll forget he has them on!

For competition, I use neoprene carpal supports. They are just neoprene with elastic/velcro that I make myself.
I also sell BOT and while they may give a little support, they aren't made for competition and I think they'd wear out pretty quick. My dog wears his BOT wrist supports before and after runs sometimes, but I always switch to the neoprene ones for higher support on the ground speed courses.

The comment about "excessive" made me smile. I made carpal supports with turquoise bling for my boy and I guess some could say it's excessive, but most people like the sparkle. :)

Lindsey

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:46 PM »

Everyone is making their own!  I haven't pulled out the sewing machine in years and I'd hate see what I would end up making.  Lol!

I'm going to look into some other commercial ones I guess.  And try to get him used to the BOT in the mean time.

BeckyAH

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:44:29 AM »
Like Jeannie says - get him out doing something fun and he'll forget he has them on!

For competition, I use neoprene carpal supports. They are just neoprene with elastic/velcro that I make myself.
I also sell BOT and while they may give a little support, they aren't made for competition and I think they'd wear out pretty quick. My dog wears his BOT wrist supports before and after runs sometimes, but I always switch to the neoprene ones for higher support on the ground speed courses.

The comment about "excessive" made me smile. I made carpal supports with turquoise bling for my boy and I guess some could say it's excessive, but most people like the sparkle. :)

Lindsey

I would be all over blinged out carpal wraps.  I think they just mean 'aren't super thick/bulky', but who knows.  Probably just a means of allowing the judge some discretion on the matter.

I really need to get a pair of pretty basic ones from my bigger competing dog.  She's got a knack for ripping up her carpal pads (and the rest, but mostly those).

Anne Etherton

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:58:32 PM »
I have a pair that were too big for my 40# BC if you could use them.

Anne
Anne

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 06:58:04 AM »

I have a pair that were too big for my 40# BC if you could use them.

Anne

Oh Wow Anne.  Would love to try them on him.  He's a 45 lb Aussie so I'm not sure that I would have a different result that you though.

What brand are they?

Robin