Author Topic: Tunnel Diameter  (Read 790 times)

Bostondirtdogs07

Tunnel Diameter
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:54:56 AM »
Will NADAC allow 26" diameter "large breed" open tunnels to be used in agility trials?  Our training facility is interested in purchasing some new tunneks and is considering these.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
Re: Tunnel Diameter
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:19:46 PM »
My club is also thinking of buying this size.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
Weíve never really had to ponder it because itís never been financially viable for most clubs.  If thatís changing weíll have to look more into it.

The main issue is that all the matching equipment was designed for a 24Ē tunnel.  So youíre looking at a frame chains that donít clear,  it would change the position on dog walks.  Specialty tunnel bags,  especially if you have single piece bags.

We can start a discussion about it here if anyone has their opinions on pros and cons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostondirtdogs07

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:55 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I really don't have anything to offer in regards to discussion.  It appears the current answer to the question would be that NADAC does not allow 26" tunnels so if our facility purchases them we should not expect that we will be able to use them at our NADAC trials.  We are only talking one 20' tunnel right now and our Club could purchase a new 24" tunnel of that length if necessary.  Just thought I would ask.   ;)   

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I really don't have anything to offer in regards to discussion.  It appears the current answer to the question would be that NADAC does not allow 26" tunnels so if our facility purchases them we should not expect that we will be able to use them at our NADAC trials.  We are only talking one 20' tunnel right now and our Club could purchase a new 24" tunnel of that length if necessary.  Just thought I would ask.   ;)

There are a couple clubs that do use 26" tunnels.  In the past, when I was asked I replied that if the club's a-frame allowed for the safe use of 26" tunnels and the club owned tunnel bags that did not squish down 26" tunnels, then the club with the appropriate matching equipment could use them.  I have never heard any issues with them.

Now it is Chris' decision since he makes the rules now.  Are there club members that could speak up if their club currently uses 26" tunnels, as their clubs would need to buy new 24" to replace them.  I never wrote down club names as they had safe matching equipment for the 26" tunnels and it was never a safety issue.  I saw them at a trial in CA with a club that no longer does NADAC and only does ASCA now and I thought they were rather cool to watch dogs go through them! 

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
I definitely donít have a problem with it if the corresponding equipment works with them.

So I think Sharonís solution works pretty well,   No issues with using them long as the bags fit properly and the aframe chain is high enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostondirtdogs07

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
Thanks guys.   I relayed your concerns to our instructor tonight and she had not thought of the implications of switching tunnel sizes so she will probably go with the 24" for now.   It is good to know that if we have the appropriate "accessories" to use 26" tunnels it is acceptable. Thanks again!

mygsds

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
As a handler with a large dog, I love the 26Ē tunnels.
Pat

Karen Birdsong

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
Just wondering....For the very tall dog that trains and trials with a 26" tunnel, what happens when that dog goes to a trial with 24".  I would hate for it to injure it's back or joints when suddenly faced with a 24" tunnel.  Again, just tossing it out.  I have not see a 26" tunnel.
Karen Birdsong,
and the Aussie boys..TJ and Monte