General > General Discussion

Training the start line:

(1/4) > >>

TeamKelpie:
I am a little confused on "Training the start line".  My dog holds his start line 99% of the time, but occasionally he breaks it as he did once at our last trial.  he went through the 2nd obstacle before I was able to get his attention and get him back to the start line which I reset him and was promptly told that was against the rules because he completed the 2nd obstacle.  My question is why can't the start line be trained just like any other obstacle, i.e. the contacts, a sequence or the weave poles which don't count as an "E".  I want my dog to understand that is not acceptable, so the choice one has is to let him break the start line and continue to run (Which I see a lot of handlers do) and thus get rewarded for doing so, or to just take them off the course which doesn't teach them much at all.  I've been told that time is one of the factors, but to train one thing will take time no matter what that training is.  I feel NADAC needs to be consistent in the "Training in the ring" rule.
Thanks, Pete

Chris Nelson:
Time is the main factor.   I can guarantee if you walk out past the second obstacle,  by the time you get your dog back to the start line and trained the clock will be at around 25 seconds if not more.   And you still haven’t even run the course yet.

We are looking into adjusting our training rules but that change wouldn’t happen until 2018 most likely.

Time is the main factor though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeckyAH:
Unless I don't understand the rules, you are often eliminated for training in the ring.    (Ask me how many eliminations I got for sticking my young dog back on a contact she blew in a trial - LOL).

" If the judge at any time feels that the handler is not trying to successfully complete a
course, but is working an obstacle or type of obstacle, for schooling a specific performance
pattern on that obstacle (or type of obstacle), then the judge may eliminate that run for scoring
purposes"

It is literally in the handbook under "Non-obstacle eliminations".

dogrsqr:
For some dogs leaving the ring when they break the start line is teaching them more than  resetting them does.  My dog quickly learned no stay no play by leaving rather than resetting.

Gina

RobertStewart:
My "primary" competitive dogs will on rare occasion, break his start line. So I'm listening for the beep of the timer starting always. I choose to not correct him, except in practice. But of note, it is very rare. So, it's not an issue.

My younger girl if i do a lead out in practice we're good to go, if i lead out at a trail she simply will walk, literally walk through a course. So, she's a "drop-n-run kindofagirl" It always amuses me how different each dog i've run have been.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version