Author Topic: Training the start line:  (Read 3051 times)

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
Re: Training the start line:
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 06:57:30 PM »
I dont have much a startline, it is too demotivating.

So correct me if I am wrong.

But why wouldnt you train a start line within the current rules? Not by reseting your dog, but by reaising it is a new envioronment with new stimuli (and even different trials are gonna be different) so why wouldnt you pick a lead out that your dog can do and grow it as it generalises? Say in class you can lead out two obstacles. Do one in the trial, or a half of one, and grow it up from there to what you can do in class? Like...we do with any other behavior to generlise it? New environment = lower criteria  until it is generalised then build up criteria.
Well, for me, I could get Rumor to stay for a lead-out at home or even in class, but when I turned to do that at a trial she would be gone and would break again if reset.  So leaving the ring was the alternative that I took.
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Rosemary

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 06:19:32 AM »

But why wouldnt you train a start line within the current rules? Not by reseting your dog, but by reaising it is a new envioronment with new stimuli (and even different trials are gonna be different) so why wouldnt you pick a lead out that your dog can do and grow it as it generalises? Say in class you can lead out two obstacles. Do one in the trial, or a half of one, and grow it up from there to what you can do in class? Like...we do with any other behavior to generlise it? New environment = lower criteria  until it is generalised then build up criteria.

Probably, if the dog is holding 99% of the time, they have.

It's just a matter of figuring out what you're going to do that 1% of the time the dog breaks.  No training or dog is completely perfect; it happens.   Some dogs will shut down if you remove them, some dogs will get 'ring smart' and realize they CAN break at a trial, some dogs will fall in neither category or somewhere between the two.

My dog was exactly that, ring smart. 

I don't understand how a startline is demoralizing.  I have a very fast dog and I need to start out ahead of him.  If I don't, then we have a battle with the sheltie spins and a very frustrated dog.

BeckyAH

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »

It's just a matter of figuring out what you're going to do that 1% of the time the dog breaks.  No training or dog is completely perfect; it happens.   Some dogs will shut down if you remove them, some dogs will get 'ring smart' and realize they CAN break at a trial, some dogs will fall in neither category or somewhere between the two.

My dog was exactly that, ring smart. 

I don't understand how a startline is demoralizing.  I have a very fast dog and I need to start out ahead of him.  If I don't, then we have a battle with the sheltie spins and a very frustrated dog.

Demoralizing depends on the dog, too.  Some dogs worry or stress down if they're left at the start-line while the owner leads out. It's just another thing where you need to read the dog and do what's right for them.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »

If you're talking about me and Abbey ... she is not a new dog and these are not new environments.  Something has happened that caused here stress and now things that didn't previously cause her stress are causing her stress.  I am trying to take smaller lead outs, but without the lead outs I used to have things will just fall apart.  At the last trial I did reset her and had barely begun to walk away and two dogs got into a verbal disagreement right behind her (one in a crate). She flipped around with terror in her eyes, so I just got my leash and we left.  Leaving her again was not going to be productive.

Gina

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »

Ahhh okay, so this discussion is for when the dogs "wised up" and started outsmarting their people, hehe. They sure are good at that!  ;D
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith