Author Topic: course maps  (Read 2745 times)

BeckyAH

Re: course maps
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »
I don't get it.  There were many years when we didn't even post courses.  Do you want your entry fees to go up to cover the costs of paper and printing?  Most of the clubs are trying to keep their operating expenses to a minimum so we can keep our entry fees lower than other venues to try to encourage participation in NADAC.  Maybe we should just offer course copies as an order to be placed with your entry and attach an extra charge to those that want paper copies.

Gina

Me either, including the fact that I am pretty danged sure I paid more for every trial entry I've ever paid than a pre-paid phone with a camera and decent sized screen (not a flip phone) would cost at Wal-Mart.    One isn't necessary, at all, but really?  If you can find the money to do agility at all you're in a pretty good position - and there are always going to be differences in what different income levels enable you to access (traveling to trials, owning competition equipment, space to set that equipment up, owning a camera or means of videoing run, access to training and what kind).   If you're going to complain about an uneven playing field 'phone with camera in an already fairly expensive and purely optional recreational activity' seems a strange place to do it.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:20:58 PM by BeckyAH »

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Wow my comment about cell phones to take a pic and use for markup was supposed to be a har-har iphone vs andriod joke.  ::) I didn't mean to start a debate on having a phone or not.

if you can't grab a pic, for whatever reason, or want it on paper, whatever happened to tracing paper? I'm only 30 and I remember using tracing paper, and I grew up with cell phones. I would guess the demographic that does not have a phone that can take a pic and markup on it, would be the same demographic that remembers tracing paper (30's n ups!)  ;D
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

Foomin Z

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »
I don't get it.  There were many years when we didn't even post courses.  Do you want your entry fees to go up to cover the costs of paper and printing?  Most of the clubs are trying to keep their operating expenses to a minimum so we can keep our entry fees lower than other venues to try to encourage participation in NADAC.  Maybe we should just offer course copies as an order to be placed with your entry and attach an extra charge to those that want paper copies.

Gina
This is a good idea. The trial secretary would just have to remember to provide it to those who pay.

Considering there are clubs out there that now charge a fee for dogs peeing in the ring, for title ribbons, or for NOT volunteering to work the entered trial, a fee for paper copies would not be unusual.

giddyup

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
Just curious if it has become mandatory yet for all course maps for the whole weekend to be posted on the first day of the trial?
Thanks
Jill

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
Not quite yet.

Everyone has been requesting lots of lead time before rule changes happen.   So while this is a great option for clubs right now,  it wonít be mandatory until January.

One of the negatives of only having rule changes twice a year :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giddyup

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
Ok. Thanks Chris
Jill

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 06:01:16 PM »
So coincidentally we were talking about this at our trial today.  I was wondering what is the point of displaying all the courses on the first day if you don't take DOS entries?

Thanjjs,

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
Regardless of day of show entries people just like to look at the course maps.

It hasnít affected the Q rate whatsoever at my trials so no reason not to

ricbonner

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 09:06:52 PM »
As an exhibitor, I really like having course maps available.  I do not need my own personal copy.  The value I get is I can check the posted map (pinned/taped to a board or clipped in a binder) and learn the path in just a moment or two - usually while its being built.  It is much easier (and way less physical effort) seeing it on paper rather than having to find the path by reading the numbered cones and walking a few hundred yards.  Then when I do walk the course, I don't waste a lot of time just learning the proper path.  My "walk" time on the course is dedicated to seeing the angles and assessing handling options.  It is much more efficient for me.  Many times I just need to see/feel just one or two things and I'm good, then I go get my dog.  To me, posted course maps is a positive thing.

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
I understand the reason for posting courses, I just donít understand why we need to post all the courses on day one.  I prefer to post them rather than put them in a book so that more than one person at a time can look at them.  Itís pretty tough to find a place to post all days courses at once.

Gina
Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2018, 05:06:58 PM »
I would just post the current day on a wall,  and then leave the other days in a binder on a table.   That way you arenít taking up extra space but still getting the job done

Foomin Z

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »
As an exhibitor, I really like having course maps available.  I do not need my own personal copy.  The value I get is I can check the posted map (pinned/taped to a board or clipped in a binder) and learn the path in just a moment or two - usually while its being built.  It is much easier (and way less physical effort) seeing it on paper rather than having to find the path by reading the numbered cones and walking a few hundred yards.  Then when I do walk the course, I don't waste a lot of time just learning the proper path.  My "walk" time on the course is dedicated to seeing the angles and assessing handling options.  It is much more efficient for me.  Many times I just need to see/feel just one or two things and I'm good, then I go get my dog.  To me, posted course maps is a positive thing.
I have definitely seen a positive effect for my dog for this reason. She suddenly loves barrelers since the maps started being posted, probably because I have more time to memorize the course and feel confident about where I am going. She thinks barrelers is fun. We moved up to elite so quickly, in just a couple of months. I can see her "smile" about it.