Author Topic: Champs site possibility?  (Read 2758 times)

giddyup

Champs site possibility?
« on: April 08, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »
Hi, I recently saw this on a friends page announcing a very large horse show circuit (?) adding this new location for their championship:

"The new Great New York State Fair Expo Center is a state-of-the-art Expo Center and Equestrian facility, and is scheduled to open in summer 2018.  It features two indoor competition arenas and two schooling areas, as well as 500 permanent stalls, permanent RV hookups, permanent restrooms, permanent food service and ample parking.  The main Indoor Arena measures 200' x 300' and offers seating for 4500 spectators."

The friend whose page I saw this on, also wondered if this would be available to rent for large dog shows.

Just an idea....:)

Jill

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Re: Champs site possibility?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 04:40:53 PM »
Definitely worth looking into!

I wonder what the cost would be for a place like that.   Never hurts to ask though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giddyup

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:18:05 PM »
was just looking at the New York State Fair website and this was there (not sure how much info they would have for the new facility yet, but...)

"To book an event or for more information, please contact The New York State Fairgrounds Events Department  581 State Fair Blvd, Syracuse, NY 13209  (800)475-FAIR or (315)487-7711 ext 1222  email gary.kerr@agriculture.ny.gov

Jill

danforth

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
That would be so close for those of us in New England and NY.

Sent from my KFASWI using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.
Isabel and Cocoa

Foomin Z

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
Who doesn't like a fresh, shiny, new facility? :D

Conformation/obedience dog shows have been held in the concrete floor buildings at the fairgrounds, so they are used to hosting dog people. Lots of hotels that accept dogs too.

Ajilldogs

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
Hi, I recently saw this on a friends page announcing a very large horse show circuit (?) adding this new location for their championship:

"The new Great New York State Fair Expo Center is a state-of-the-art Expo Center and Equestrian facility, and is scheduled to open in summer 2018.  It features two indoor competition arenas and two schooling areas, as well as 500 permanent stalls, permanent RV hookups, permanent restrooms, permanent food service and ample parking.  The main Indoor Arena measures 200' x 300' and offers seating for 4500 spectators."

The friend whose page I saw this on, also wondered if this would be available to rent for large dog shows.

Jill
Why not the event center in Reno?

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »

Jill
Why not the event center in Reno?

Would be an option for the west coast.   Wouldn’t work too well for the east coast champs though :)

mstomel

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 02:10:26 PM »
The event center is nice in Reno and they have the equestrian center than they ran regionals at last year too which is really nice, but I have no idea if it's big enough to accommodate champs. I mean, Colorado is the middle of the country if the attempt is to try and have it somewhere static. Or you just bounce them from one side of the country to the other and there will always be a coast that can't make the drive. I just hope that wherever they pick has cheap hotels nearby.

bettyj.carter

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
The Event Center in Reno/Sparks is very nice. Just had AKC Nationals there, 3 rings in the main building and 1 in a connecting building. Plenty of crating space, however, very few stalls. Dirt got a bit dry and slick by the afternoon.

MoabDiane

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
Sorry, I don't have any specific suggestions for sites.  I've mentioned this before, but since the topic is up, here goes again.
I like very much that Champs "rotates" east to west every other year.  But I also think that having it on either coast is just too far east or west.
While I'd love to go to California, ain't no way I'm going to New York!  LOL!

Reno is pretty far west. But Utah/Colorado/Wyoming vs. Illinois/Ohio/Missouri areas are closer for more people.
I think "slightly east (or west) of middle" is the best!

JMHO,
diane

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 12:23:39 PM »
Agreed Diane.

I like Wyoming and Tennessee.

Everyone is going to disagree on which states are a better location though sadly

Foomin Z

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
The event center is nice in Reno and they have the equestrian center than they ran regionals at last year too which is really nice, but I have no idea if it's big enough to accommodate champs. I mean, Colorado is the middle of the country if the attempt is to try and have it somewhere static. Or you just bounce them from one side of the country to the other and there will always be a coast that can't make the drive. I just hope that wherever they pick has cheap hotels nearby.
Colorado is definitely NOT the middle of the country, not even if you count Alaska and Hawaii.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_United_States#/media/File:USCenterPop_Geographic2010.png

MoabDiane

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 02:11:28 PM »
Foomin Z (is that your real name?!   ;D ) -

I wasn't the one who said Colorado was the middle of the country.
But that Wikipedia entry is weird!   It does include AK and HI. So, technically, it is correct.

I think most of us generally think of the middle of the U.S. as the lower 48; and I'm generally thinking of driving distances when it's a Champs location discussion.
It's highly unlikely (though certainly possible!) that someone would drive from AK to Champs; HI is a bit more problematic for driving!

So, from the actual center of the lower 48 (which is on the northern KS border), Colorado really isn't that far.  But I'd still consider it "west" for the purposes of Champs.
(I wish there was somewhere suitable in CO for Champs, but I don't know where that would be...)
Just as Ohio is pretty far "east" - though I'm sure the New Yorkers and others don't think so!

Back to civil discussions....
diane

I'm just glad that NADAC does change locations from year to year. 

Foomin Z

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
Nope, even in contiguous ("lower 48") USA, Colorado is not the center and never was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

The location in the link above would be the center, making it the most-equal place for everyone to drive to, if in the contiguous USA. Let's build an area right there.

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
Nope, even in contiguous ("lower 48") USA, Colorado is not the center and never was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

The location in the link above would be the center, making it the most-equal place for everyone to drive to, if in the contiguous USA. Let's build an area right there.

Having Champs in the center of the country would basically eliminate both coasts.  Moving nearer to the west or east every other year gives those who live further east or west a better chance to attend at least every other year.  And there are some people like me that will travel to Champs no matter where they are held.
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!