Author Topic: Champs site possibility?  (Read 2757 times)

Amy McGovern

Re: Champs site possibility?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »
Having Champs in the center of the country would basically eliminate both coasts.  Moving nearer to the west or east every other year gives those who live further east or west a better chance to attend at least every other year.  And there are some people like me that will travel to Champs no matter where they are held.
Linda

Don't forget that there are actually people who *live* and compete in the midwest. This statement makes it sound as if everyone lives on the coasts. We have a thriving midwest NADAC community!

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

Vicki Storrs

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 06:09:08 PM »

[/quote]
Having Champs in the center of the country would basically eliminate both coasts.  Moving nearer to the west or east every other year gives those who live further east or west a better chance to attend at least every other year.  And there are some people like me that will travel to Champs no matter where they are held.
Linda
[/quote]

What struck me was just “eyeballing” that Wikipedia map,
I’d put SLC  about halfway between the midpoint of the country and the west coast and  maybe Tennessee the midpoint between the KS spot and the East coast (with apologies to maybe Maine and S FL). So the WY, UT sites and the OH, TN sites are probably a pretty fair compromise.
Vicki
Vicki Storrs

Billie Rosen

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 06:59:33 AM »
This is a subject that reappears every few years.  The U.S. is a large country and some people are going to have to travel a long way no matter where Champs is held.  I expect that the coasts make it especially hard for the most people.  I live in Arizona and had a 60+ hour a week job, but I still managed to get to every NADAC Champs they had, because it meant a whole lot to me.  And although I had small dogs which made flying easier, we worked hard to get those with bigger dogs to Champs.  Wendy Hultsman for several years even drove to San Diego to be able to fly her dog to Champs (an Aussie) because Phoenix was still heat embargoed at the time. 

So yes, it is a hardship, when Champs is far, but I will avow that it has always been worth the effort to go!!!!

And I agree with Diane that I really DON'T want to see two Championships each year.  This is a National event and should remain so!!!!
Billie Rosen    agilek9s@q.com
Kruz'n (Border Terrier)  NATCH 28, Vers. NATCH 14
Klev'r (Border Terrier)  NATCH 11, Vers. NATCH 9
Book'n (Border Terrier)  working on 1st NATCH

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • Agility Gypsy
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
Don't forget the Canadians who come to Champs!  They too have to travel a lot of distance no matter where it is held!  For many years, Blair Bloxam from Calgary came to Champs....just to be our gate steward!  R.I.P. dear friend.

I agree the Wyoming and Tennessee areas are a great location every other year.  No matter where it is held, people are going to have long drives. Like Billie said.....it is worth the trip!

Marj Vincent
Volt, Scotty & Java
Bozeman, MT

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

Sandy Langan

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
I agree, last two champs were a long haul coming from GA. Especially Utah. Having it in TN would be lovely. It’s a great experience worth the trip. It’s very hard to accomadate everyone’s wishes for location. I think NADAC does a great job trying to keep things fair. 💜

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 07:45:08 AM »
I budget myself to go to Champs every other year.  I have to drive since there is no way I can put my one dog on a plane and the expense of flying 4 dogs would be too much.  My dogs are not that great, they never make the finals (although my 1 missed it this year by less than 5 seconds) so for me it is all about the fun.  I figured last year's trip (a 6 hour drive) cost me close to $3K after the entry fees, hotel, food, gas, stall rental, video and pictures so a trip to the west coast is not worth the increased expense with my current dogs when I can stay home and have a fun trial here as well.  I need to have a champs within a "reasonable" drive in order for it to work for me.  I figure reasonable is less than 12 hours....  Maybe if I had super-star dogs I would make the trek further but at this point I don't.
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »
I like Kansas as middle of the country!!  :)  <3
As far as good facilities in the middle of the country, the Tulsa Fairgrounds are excellent! 
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 13, V-NATCH 11, AA NATCH 3 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye PT MX MXJ MXF HOF
Tripp: NATCH 6, V-NATCH 5, AA NATCH 3 BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 V-NATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF
& Sketch:  BB's Nothin' But A Good Time

bhodges865

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 10:52:47 AM »
I think what people need to remember when throwing out champs locations is not just distance but cost of the facility.  NADAC still has expenses and people to pay so an event center that costs $5000/day is a bit much when you look at trying to keep champs entry costs "reasonable".

Definitely throw ideas out there if you've been to a facility you think may work.  I personally like going to different places.
Team TX Heeler
Knoxville, TN

kbriefel

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
Someone at our NADAC trial this past weekend said to me that 2019 Champs was going to be in Lexington, VA.  Did I miss an announcement?
Ken Briefel and Max

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Someone at our NADAC trial this past weekend said to me that 2019 Champs was going to be in Lexington, VA.  Did I miss an announcement?
Ken Briefel and Max

They would be jumping the gun... by a lot :)

We were looking at Lexington pretty intently.

But I don’t believe it will work out as the facility isn’t quite what we’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
Chris- have you checked out http://appalachianexpo.org/ ?

Mary P.

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
I'm keeping an eye on it.

But I'm a little nervous about investing into a facility that isn't built yet.

I'm sure it will be great, and once it's built I would definitely make a trip out to see if it would work.

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 10:19:59 AM »
Yes, the Reno Livestock Events Center is very nice. But very pricey and restricted with many extra costs. Sharon (NADAC) had tried to use it over the years, however the month of September is always locked in and booked with big horse events each year. Can also be too hot to fly dogs in that month. Perhaps the IRONWOOD EVENT CENTER in Spanish Springs/Reno would work ? 

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
Yes, the Reno Livestock Events Center is very nice. But very pricey and restricted with many extra costs. Sharon (NADAC) had tried to use it over the years, however the month of September is always locked in and booked with big horse events each year. Can also be too hot to fly dogs in that month. Perhaps the IRONWOOD EVENT CENTER in Spanish Springs/Reno would work ?
I don’t believe ironwood is quite big enough.  Especially when we are doing two rings,  we really need a bare minimum of 120 x 300 for a ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mephalon

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 10:49:02 AM »
Any updates on the 2019 location?    ;D 
Mary P.