Author Topic: Champs site possibility?  (Read 3113 times)

Lin Battaglia

• Trial Secretary
    • mdt/Agility Ability LLC
Re: Champs site possibility?
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2018, 07:20:18 AM »
Right IRONWOOD is not big enough for CHAMPS, only room for one large ring. But it worked well for a Regional.

Sharon Nelson

• Mother NADAC
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
Right IRONWOOD is not big enough for CHAMPS, only room for one large ring. But it worked well for a Regional.

Yes Ironwood was perfect for the regional, but would not be big enough for a champs event.

Sharon
Sharon
In-Sync-Agility

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 02:28:09 AM »
Someone at our NADAC trial this past weekend said to me that 2019 Champs was going to be in Lexington, VA.  Did I miss an announcement?
Ken Briefel and Max

They would be jumping the gun... by a lot :)

We were looking at Lexington pretty intently.

But I don’t believe it will work out as the facility isn’t quite what we’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now THAT is definitely on the EAST coast.  We must also remember to consider "what" center we are talking about.  Geographic Center?  Population Center?  Those are only two variations, and you come up with a different answer for each one.  I think that we should have an East Coast Championships and a West Coast championships.  Before you start screaming, consider it is pretty much that way now.  The one closer to the east will get east and Midwest people, but very few western people  And when it is in the West, there are very few Eastern people.  Perhaps if NADAC could support it, a West and East coast regional, and maybe a Midwest/northern one?  If NADAC could support it, add the ULTIMATE championship with the winners of those regionals going on to that, being held in a different "central" area each year.
Sheila & the Shelties

Amy McGovern

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2018, 08:29:16 AM »
Chris, have you looked into the Tulsa fairgrounds?  AKC holds their nationals there frequently and it is quite large.  I figure it must be decent for renting if AKC does it over and over, though I admit I haven't run there, only gone to watch.   

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
I’m much more inclined to find a central location,  or even a non central location that works well,  and use that location indefinitely.

It is an issue that the West doesn’t travel east and the east doesn’t travel west.

Taking a page from other venues that hold their main events in Florida every year,  everyone just knows they have to travel their and they plan for it.

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2018, 09:59:12 AM »
The nice thing about rotating it around is that those of use who do not have the luxury of taking a week or more off of work (especially at the start of the school year) can take a couple days when it is closer vs never being able to go...ever

JMO
Maureen, Nika, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Marcy Matties

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • LuvMyDogs
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
I’m much more inclined to find a central location,  or even a non central location that works well,  and use that location indefinitely.

It is an issue that the West doesn’t travel east and the east doesn’t travel west.

Taking a page from other venues that hold their main events in Florida every year,  everyone just knows they have to travel their and they plan for it.

I like the idea of at least the central area every 3rd year.  West one year, East one year, Central one year.  That way you get the middle third of the country handlers.  So you get central people, plus some from the east - just not far east, and some from the west - just not far west.  Gives a more homogenous representation than the "mostly east" vs "mostly west" handlers with the current rotation.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Amy McGovern

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2018, 11:26:43 AM »
I'm in agreement with Marcy.  We are going to champs this year but it is only our 2nd time.  It is never less than a 2 day drive.  I usually simply can't take off work that long! 

p.s. you didn't answer as to whether Tulsa was even on the list to look at.  This is the location:

https://www.exposquare.com

Amy and the schnauzers

dogrsqr

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2018, 11:33:15 AM »

Now THAT is definitely on the EAST coast.  We must also remember to consider "what" center we are talking about.  Geographic Center?  Population Center?  Those are only two variations, and you come up with a different answer for each one.  I think that we should have an East Coast Championships and a West Coast championships.  Before you start screaming, consider it is pretty much that way now.  The one closer to the east will get east and Midwest people, but very few western people  And when it is in the West, there are very few Eastern people.  Perhaps if NADAC could support it, a West and East coast regional, and maybe a Midwest/northern one?  If NADAC could support it, add the ULTIMATE championship with the winners of those regionals going on to that, being held in a different "central" area each year.
[/quote]

So then those in the middle always "get" to travel?  While east coasters didn't consider Ohio to be east, it was 735 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul ( 12 hour drive) and Gillette is 744 miles (11 hours).  And yes, we once drove to Calgary for Champs (1200 + miles/20+ hours).

Gina Pizzo
Abbey, Trek and Shay

Amy McGovern

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:37 PM »
So then those in the middle always "get" to travel?  While east coasters didn't consider Ohio to be east, it was 735 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul ( 12 hour drive) and Gillette is 744 miles (11 hours).  And yes, we once drove to Calgary for Champs (1200 + miles/20+ hours).

That's why I'm advocating for Tulsa :) It is definitely geographically middle!  Actually, Hutchinson KS is even more geographically middle and Chris holds regular shows there but he says it is too small for a champs.  Which is too bad as it is a really nice facility! 

-Amy
Amy and the schnauzers

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2018, 05:49:50 AM »

That's why I'm advocating for Tulsa :) It is definitely geographically middle!  Actually, Hutchinson KS is even more geographically middle and Chris holds regular shows there but he says it is too small for a champs.  Which is too bad as it is a really nice facility! 

-Amy

I did mention the Midwest / Central Area is part of the rotation. As a matter of comparison, we live in the West and if we go to Champs, we will be driving 1100 miles to the supposedly West location.
Sheila & the Shelties

Rsquared

• Scooter's Mom
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
Just because there’s a “west coast” champs doesn’t mean that people in the west aren’t traveling hugh distances to get there.  Gillette is over 1000 miles and So Jordan is over 750 from my So Cal location.  I think people just have to accept that going to champs is going to involve traveling large distances for most people, esp. if you’re located in some corner of the country.
Ronni in San Diego with Scooter, Ollie & Xtra Crispy (R.I.P. Sage)

Linda W. Anderson

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
Just because there’s a “west coast” champs doesn’t mean that people in the west aren’t traveling hugh distances to get there.  Gillette is over 1000 miles and So Jordan is over 750 from my So Cal location.  I think people just have to accept that going to champs is going to involve traveling large distances for most people, esp. if you’re located in some corner of the country.
I totally agree!  I will be driving over 1,700 miles to Champs this year from the east coast.  If you want to go badly enough, you do it!
Linda
Linda W. Anderson - Dogs have only one fault, their lives are too short!

DeafSheltieMom

• Course builder
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
Just because there’s a “west coast” champs doesn’t mean that people in the west aren’t traveling huge distances to get there.  Gillette is over 1000 miles and So Jordan is over 750 from my So Cal location.  I think people just have to accept that going to champs is going to involve traveling large distances for most people, esp. if you’re located in some corner of the country.
yup, yup.  It will be about 1250 miles from San Diego.  We are in the southwestern corner of the country, so travel is travel, wherever Champs ends up being.  And I'm okay with that...  folks just need to decide what they can afford to give, time and money, towards a Champs trip.  Since I don't compete in other venues, I save up my travel and time for Champs, every other year, when it is on the western side of the country, knowing full well that it will take 2-3 days of travel just to get there.  It is what I can do, and what I'm comfortable doing. 

-dayle and tesla in Poway, CA (northeast of San Diego)
-Dayle Shimamura
 Mom to Alva, Hutch and Tesla

ricbonner

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2018, 05:49:12 PM »
East... West...  Its all far from the South.

Plano, TX to South Jordan, UT (West)---1225 miles
Plano, TX to Dublin, OH (East)-----------1050 miles
Plano, TX to Gillette, WY (West)---------1115 miles