Author Topic: Idea for New NADAC class  (Read 1651 times)

InfinityM45

Idea for New NADAC class
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
      On the way back from last weekend's trial in Lancing, TN, I was thinking about NADAC classes and I had an idea.  I've always enjoyed and done well in Chances.  Chances is mostly lateral for the handler.
If you do the "box" on Regualr agility, it seems to require a lot of distance skill, is intimidating to some of us and seems to result in a lot of NQ's.  Not many people try the box in our area.  What I think would be neat, would be to put a larger box or other shape such as a circle in the middle of the course.  Of course, some of the obstacles might be in the box.  The handler starts running at the startline and sends the dogs over a couple of articles until the handler reaches the box.  This way, dog's without a startline stay could still compete.  The handler sends the dog over designated obstacles from the box.  It would allow distance work from 360 dgrees.  Box size would be much larger for Novice and decrease as the level increased.  With a big box, and a gradual decrease in box size with increased level of class, the handlers would gradually learn to do distance from all angles.  If it is a separate class, it would not effect the chance of a Q in Regular.  Some of us need these Q's in regular and do not want to risk loss of a Q by doing the box on a Reg run.  If the central box worked well it might be possible to change the shape of the handling area.  Or alternatively, place the box, shape in another place on the course that is not central.  Please let me know what you think of this.  Norma

ricbonner

Re: Idea for New NADAC class
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 06:15:00 PM »
Sometimes in my agility class we will play a fun game.  The instructor sets up a short course (10 or 12) and then the handler has to handle the course while keeping 1 foot inside a hula hoop laying flat on the ground.  The fun part is that the handler gets to pick where the hula hoop is placed.  We've also played the chair game - a game in which the handler has to sit in a chair and handle the whole course while sitting.

ljahans

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • Ozzy, Luc & Milly
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
I like the hula hoop game.   I am going to practice it for sure!
LeeAnn
Lee Ann Jahansooz

Sheila Freeman

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:03:42 PM »
I like the hula hoop and the chair games.  My students will now have something new to try.  Thanks for the information.

Clint Wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:00:14 PM »
In many cases, the skill level to go from doing Chances to the super duper distance where double points can be earned, is a large gap.

I really like the InfinityM45 (Norma) suggestion. But instead of a new class, perhaps this distance box near the center of the course could be added to Regular and Jumpers as an option for the handler, with a shrinking box as the level goes from Novice to Elite. If successful, perhaps 1.5x or 1.25x points could be earned?

Clint

RobertStewart

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:33 AM »
I'e thought it would be cool to do some kind of class, where it was an All Levels class (like tunnelers or Touch N Go), but the handlers had 5 minutes to study the course map but didn't get to walk the course. You went off of the course map alone, or by walking around the perimeter of the ring to see how the numbers flowed. Some of my best and most memorable runs have been ones where I missed the walk through.
Robert Stewart

NATCH-11, V-NATCH-9, MACH-2, PACH, ADCH/LAA, Platinum, PDCH-Bronze, VVD  Rocket Man

NATCH-4, V-NATCH 4, MACH, PDCH/LAA - Bronze, Ellie

Sidheag, EAC, ECC, EJC, TG-N, APD, MXP, AXJ, MXFP

Wynndzor, NCC, NAC, TGN, TNW, O-WV-O, AX, AXJ, AXF,

Richard Wolfe

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
  • The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
That's already a thing with Scally Wags in Victoria, BC.  We did it with hoopers at U2KanDu in Lawrence, KS. this past weekend and won special Pirate Run pins from Scally Wags that our super judge Jeff Reidl brought with him.  It was a blast!!!!!!!  Lots of people tried and many won the pin.  It's sort of like you have no expectations because you didn't walk it but looked at the map and it's not quite the same.  So lots of us relaxed and had lots of fun!!!  That's why my motto is, "Have fun and the Qs will come!!!!!"
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:40:18 AM »
I think that is an interesting idea and should be considered.  I believe something like it was considered at one time.  The only thing I disagree with is the handler running from the start.  I think every dog should have a 'stay', not only for trials, but in every day life.
Sheila & the Shelties

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
I think that is an interesting idea and should be considered.  I believe something like it was considered at one time.  The only thing I disagree with is the handler running from the start.  I think every dog should have a 'stay', not only for trials, but in every day life.

Why should EVERY dog be required to stay at the startline.  My dogs all have "stays" but I don't always do them in trials.  It shuts the one dog down and she doesn't have fun running if I do.  My other is a beagle,  you try and run a beagle outside or in a horse barn and require a stay....  Just sayin.....  My third has a start line, but I can usually tell if he is going to give it to me.   He is little, so I don't really need it with him and I plan ahead for NOT having it.  My fourth dog, I do enforce the stay more.  She is tall and fast and doesn't mind the start line stay.  She breaks it at times, but she is not even 3.  I am not going to always go back and reset her because I don't want to shut her down on it.  Agility is about it being fun for my dog.... I am NOT going to stress them over a start line stay.  I don't need it to run and have fun with them. 
Audri, Lily, Cee Cee and Toto, Calypso

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 12:41:55 AM »

Why should EVERY dog be required to stay at the startline.  My dogs all have "stays" but I don't always do them in trials.  It shuts the one dog down and she doesn't have fun running if I do.  My other is a beagle,  you try and run a beagle outside or in a horse barn and require a stay....  Just sayin.....  My third has a start line, but I can usually tell if he is going to give it to me.   He is little, so I don't really need it with him and I plan ahead for NOT having it.  My fourth dog, I do enforce the stay more.  She is tall and fast and doesn't mind the start line stay.  She breaks it at times, but she is not even 3.  I am not going to always go back and reset her because I don't want to shut her down on it.  Agility is about it being fun for my dog.... I am NOT going to stress them over a start line stay.  I don't need it to run and have fun with them.

If you CHOOSE not to have your dog stay at the start line, that is running strategy.  But I see so many dogs that owners tell them to stay at the start line and they do not.  That's the ones I am talking about.
Sheila & the Shelties

BeckyAH

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
I've actually started doing this for myself a little bit, in Tunneler's and sometimes T'n'G courses.   It's fun, and educational.  Since it's in the middle it's easier than any bonus box I've seen (but never attended) and lack of physical line means I don't have any qualms/worries about just moving out of where I intended to be if I need to - there's no temptation not to just go help the dog.

No clue if it should be a CLASS - we have a lot - but it's definitely a good time and I think people should try it! 

n8tr_lvr

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
In many cases, the skill level to go from doing Chances to the super duper distance where double points can be earned, is a large gap.

I really like the InfinityM45 (Norma) suggestion. But instead of a new class, perhaps this distance box near the center of the course could be added to Regular and Jumpers as an option for the handler, with a shrinking box as the level goes from Novice to Elite. If successful, perhaps 1.5x or 1.25x points could be earned?

Clint

My first thought was: Do we really need another game? NADAC already has 8 classes, 9 now with Gamblers coming back. If a club only has a 2-day trial, you have potentially 16 runs total (8 a day) to divide up between 10 classes, if another game gets added. Some clubs will only be offering one round of a class or not offering a particular class at all. We already see that in our area where clubs took a long time before they started adding hoopers and barrelers.

I could see it being offered as a "bonus" if you stay behind the line (or in a circle, whatever the course designer decides), regardless of what level you run, you get 15 points instead of the regular 10, like what happens with Hoopers.