Author Topic: Proposed updates to Bonus Program  (Read 6654 times)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:53:29 AM »
Hey Everyone,

We're looking at the possibility of updating the bonus program to reflect the current competitors.   We're looking for feedback on the proposed changes.   If these changes are approved they would not go into effect until January of 2019.     They would not be announced officially until June assuming they are received well.

The entire system of bonuses is proposed to be changed.   Currently how the program works is a handler attempts a bonus and sends in a video via the NADAC website.  The video is then approved or denied and bonus points are added to the teams point history.

What we are proposing is a very large shift from this current system.

1) Judges could approve bonuses on a weekend.   But, these judge approved bonuses would only count towards getting into Starter Stakes at Championships.    These runs would have a bonus designation in your point history, but you would not receive extra points for these runs, and they would not count towards bonus only awards.

2) If you want the extra points for the run you would be required to send in a video in the same way you currently do.   And the same criteria would be applied in regards to path and flow.

3) For all videos sent in they would be reviewed by a rotating group of 11 judges. 

You can vote via the link below:

https://form.jotform.com/81324936036153

DataHound

Re: Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 03:54:59 PM »
Hi Chris

Could you elaborate on the impetus for this proposal?

Thanks,

Sandy T
Shingle Springs, CA

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
A few questions popped into me head straight away so I will throw them out there;

1.  Does the handler choose one over the other.  For example Judge onsite over video submission.  Or can they do both ?

2.  If they can do both and the Judge onsite award a bonus and the video review panel disallows the bonus what is the outcome ?  For example Bonus for Champs qualification in Stakes removed or stands ?

3.  If the handler wants Judge on site what is the process....ie do they indicate to the Judge they want it Judged onsite ?  In other words how does the Judge onsite know what the exhibitor wants.  Or is it a case that all Bonuses are Judged on site in the first instance and video submission is a secondary option ?

4.  Is there a process for exhibitors to access should an onsite Judge deny a bonus and the handler would like a review ?

5.  Will all Judges (Sp-1, SP-2, Judges and Supervisors) be able to Judge onsite or will they require bonus priviledges ?

My questions are not a vote either way just questions that popped into my head.

Shirlene Clark
Australia

Keri Daun

• Judge
    • Adept Agility And Border Collies
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »
A few questions popped into me head straight away so I will throw them out there;

1.  Does the handler choose one over the other.  For example Judge onsite over video submission.  Or can they do both ?

2.  If they can do both and the Judge onsite award a bonus and the video review panel disallows the bonus what is the outcome ?  For example Bonus for Champs qualification in Stakes removed or stands ?

3.  If the handler wants Judge on site what is the process....ie do they indicate to the Judge they want it Judged onsite ?  In other words how does the Judge onsite know what the exhibitor wants.  Or is it a case that all Bonuses are Judged on site in the first instance and video submission is a secondary option ?

4.  Is there a process for exhibitors to access should an onsite Judge deny a bonus and the handler would like a review ?

5.  Will all Judges (Sp-1, SP-2, Judges and Supervisors) be able to Judge onsite or will they require bonus priviledges ?

My questions are not a vote either way just questions that popped into my head.

Good questions Shirlene. I wondered about some of those also. I did think, from Chris's post, the handler would have the option for both but would like to know for sure.

Keri
~ Keri ~

Pam Kaye

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
I agree.  very good questions.  Is the entire membership being asked to vote?

Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07:01 PM »
Good questions that have answers.  Iíll make a better reply when I get back to a computer :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 01:59:56 AM »

Both.    Judge approvals would only get the handler runs towards entering Starter Stakes.    In order to enter Silver Stakes or Super Stakes you would need to submit videos.    Judge approved runs would also not receive extra points, or go towards awards.   Those would also be reserved for video submissions.

The goal is to encourage people to try them, even if they don't have access to submit videos, or their own personal reasons for not wanting to submit them.

The judges bonus would stand, it would just not be approved for the extra points and going towards awards.    It would have to be made very clear that a judges call on a live bonus attempt may not coincide with 10 other judges viewing the video submission.    Ideally this would keep the higher levels of the bonus program as they were intended in regards to path and flow.   

Video submission would be a secondary option that the handler would have to prepare for if their goals are the extra points, awards, and the higher levels of the bonus program.

Handlers would need a way of alerting the judge to their bonus attempt,   The simplest option that doesn't add difficulty to the gate steward or scribe jobs is for the handler to wear a brightly colored arm band on any runs they are attempting a bonus on, so that the judge can prepare properly for their run.

Onsite reviews would not be allowed, in the same way judges at weekend trials do not review calls.

If the handler filmed it in preparation for sending it in they could still submit it and see if the review team feels differently, but it is unlikely they would if the judge of record saw something to negate the bonus attempt.

Judges under supervision would need their supervisor to watch the bonus runs with them.     
There will be no extra privileges beyond that given to judges, although extra training will happen with all judges to prepare them for the task.

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:30:59 AM »

Intriguing.

And all of the same performance criteria - path and flow - would still apply to the bonus attempts judged on site?

Robin

Kyle

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 06:59:13 AM »
By what date do we need to get our vote in? IOW, what's our "mulling around time"?  :D

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Carole & Pat Daggett

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:00 AM »
Would all bonus attempts run first/last in the class or in the jump height? Keeping them together would make judging easier.

Pat Daggett

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
Weíll keep the voting open until the end of the month :)

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
Would all bonus attempts run first/last in the class or in the jump height? Keeping them together would make judging easier.

Pat Daggett

Itís been a pretty positive change to have the bonus handlers running inline.   I would hate to change that back to a system that wasnít terribly loved.

Handlers marking themselves with a band is much simpler as they can just take it off if they donít want to try the bonus

Jeannie Biggers

• Judge
  • Enjoy the ride while it lasts!
    • GotDog? LLC
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »
During a walk thru if a judge pays attention enough you can get an idea of who is going to attempt bonus work.  It might also help for handlers to signify on the run order with a big B or smiley face or ? then the judge could take a quick look at how many to expect. :)  The armband would also work.... maybe judges could go buy a handful of hair bundgies to keep in their bags?   Just throwing some ideas out there...
Jeannie Biggers
GotDog? LLC
www.gotdogllc.com

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Not that I often try bonuses but why can't the handler just give the judge a thumbs up or say "bonus" when the judge says good luck then no one has to buy, bring  or remember to put on anything
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
Not that I often try bonuses but why can't the handler just give the judge a thumbs up or say "bonus" when the judge says good luck then no one has to buy, bring  or remember to put on anything
That would work assuming handlers remember.

My faith in handlers remembering to do that is a little low :)