Author Topic: Proposed updates to Bonus Program  (Read 5775 times)

Kyle

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
Re: Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:10:48 PM »

That would work assuming handlers remember.

My faith in handlers remembering to do that is a little low :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the fate of our run depends on us telling the judge what we're going to do, we might actually be able to do it. We might even surprise you!! ;D (Hey, it *could* happen....) Another option - As Jeannie said (I think), mark the gate sheets with a "B" or something and then the gate could let the judge know it's a Bonus run as the handler is going to the Bonus box/area.

-Kyle

Kyle
Leona Valley, CA

Murrelet Halterman

• Judge
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 01:30:19 PM »
This sounds great! I don't run bonuses, but from a judging perspective, it sounds very doable.

I like the idea of overlap in info about the bonus attempts. So, marked on the Gate sheet, gate / handler notifies the judge/ brightly colored armbands. Redundancy means that a. Less likely to be missed b. Doesn't depend entirely on the judge missing the "bonus attempt" info if they're across the ring, barking dogs, etc. 

I propose that bonus handlers should wear a rainbow propeller cap to run bonuses. There would be no missing that!! ;D ;D

Thanks Chris,

Murrelet
Murrelet Halterman
Avian Researcher At Large

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 01:41:20 PM »

Yes to rainbow propeller caps!

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 02:16:14 PM »

That would work assuming handlers remember.

My faith in handlers remembering to do that is a little low :)

If the fate of our run depends on us telling the judge what we're going to do, we might actually be able to do it. We might even surprise you!! ;D (Hey, it *could* happen....) Another option - As Jeannie said (I think), mark the gate sheets with a "B" or something and then the gate could let the judge know it's a Bonus run as the handler is going to the Bonus box/area.

-Kyle

If I was going to attempt a DC or bonus you can bet your bottom dollar that the judge would know about it - probably multiple times!  ;D ;D  Even now, when judges aren't judging bonus's, at least at the trials I go to - they know the bonus/DC handlers, and they know that they are going to be attempting it.  Maybe at an enormous trial with a plethora of bonus handlers the judge might need to be reminded and "alerted."  But if a handler doesn't make sure that the judge knows they are attempting the DC/bonus - then that's on them.
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Janice_Shavor

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »
Sometimes, not often, handler and judge are some distance apart at the start of the run.  Verbal info only might be missed.
Janice Shavor
Bella, Buddy, & Walker

Maureen deHaan

• Trial Secretary
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 03:11:22 PM »
Sometimes, not often, handler and judge are some distance apart at the start of the run.  Verbal info only might be missed.

that's why I said do a thumbs up signal as an alternative - :)
Maureen, Kiva & Zoe
Play~Bow
Kingston, NY

"A great dog is not determined by its papers"

Shirlene Clark

• Judge
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »
One way a Judge could identify those who intend attempting the bonus run is for the Judge to take note of who walks the course for a bonus.  Given bonus handlers get a wee headstart in walk time and the number of those people is small it shouldn't be too hard to take note of who.
Shirlene Clark
Australia

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
One way a Judge could identify those who intend attempting the bonus run is for the Judge to take note of who walks the course for a bonus.  Given bonus handlers get a wee headstart in walk time and the number of those people is small it shouldn't be too hard to take note of who.

With course maps being posted I have not been giving the two minutes before the course for bonus walk throughs

I do five minute walk throughs, and then clear the course and two minutes to first dog.   It was suggested to use that two minutes at the end for the bonus handlers and veteran handlers to continue looking at the course.

I believe that is a good solution,  and most bonus handlers would be happier having the end of their walkthrough with a clear view instead of the beginning anyway, that way the five minute walk through can be used for looking at the course closer up

Pam Kaye

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
Box of those hair things Jeannie mentioned at check in board.  Scrunchies?  Cheap to buy a bag of them at the drug store.
Pam Kaye
Cash, Cirrus and Flame
Sequim, WA

Lynn Broderick

• Trial Secretary
  • "Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone"
    • www.petworksbuffalo.com
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
So... this is a little off topic, but... is there any reason tape can't be put down to designate the bonus box? Maybe not the DC line as that could get messy, but that would certainly make it easier for everyone to see if the handler is staying behind the line. Including the handler themselves. And the on-site judge who is trying to watch both handler and dog.

I have only attempted bonuses a few times, but I do find myself drifting towards the imaginary line. I'd do much better with the tape.

Lynn Broderick
& Maverick
Lynn Broderick
Up and Over Dog Sports & Four Seasons Agility Club
and Team Agileblur- Amber, Maverick, and Riley (at the Bridge)

Peter Vogel

• Judge
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 05:40:03 PM »
I think this is a pretty good idea and it might make it easier for people to try bonus lines or distance challenges if they have not attempted in the past.  I do have 2 thoughts though:

* Chris, you mentioned some additional training for judges - I think this would be critical as several judges do not regularly attempt bonus' and may not be completely familiar with the criteria, and

* I believe the video helps handlers differientiate between a clean bonus run and one that does not meet criteria.  With the video system, handlers watch the video and self-evaluate prior to submission.  I'm aware of several handlers who believed they just ran a clean bonus run and because of the video were able to gain a better perspective before submitting.  Because of the importance some people place on bonus runs, I'm just a little concerned without the video, we might be setting up a conflict between handlers who thought they deserved the bonus and judges who saw it differently.
Peter Vogel

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »
So... this is a little off topic, but... is there any reason tape can't be put down to designate the bonus box? Maybe not the DC line as that could get messy, but that would certainly make it easier for everyone to see if the handler is staying behind the line. Including the handler themselves. And the on-site judge who is trying to watch both handler and dog.

I have only attempted bonuses a few times, but I do find myself drifting towards the imaginary line. I'd do much better with the tape.

Lynn Broderick
& Maverick

Considering the amount of flack we already get for a simple whisker on the ground,  putting tape over that much of the course wouldnít make the majority of folks entering very happy.

Hence the group of judges from here on out.  If 8 out of 10 believe you crossed the line,  well there you have it.   

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
I think this is a pretty good idea and it might make it easier for people to try bonus lines or distance challenges if they have not attempted in the past.  I do have 2 thoughts though:

* Chris, you mentioned some additional training for judges - I think this would be critical as several judges do not regularly attempt bonus' and may not be completely familiar with the criteria, and

* I believe the video helps handlers differientiate between a clean bonus run and one that does not meet criteria.  With the video system, handlers watch the video and self-evaluate prior to submission.  I'm aware of several handlers who believed they just ran a clean bonus run and because of the video were able to gain a better perspective before submitting.  Because of the importance some people place on bonus runs, I'm just a little concerned without the video, we might be setting up a conflict between handlers who thought they deserved the bonus and judges who saw it differently.

There would absolutely be more training involved,  and more pressure for those judges.   But,  since the judges runs arenít getting extra points or going to awards, that would eliminate the largest issues.

At that point itís more on track of typical judging issues like whether a dog hit a contact or not

ricbonner

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:59 PM »

I almost always setup a plan from the bonus box or walk the bonus but I've only attempted a couple in the past year.  I'm trying to stay aware of the challenges that are being presented while my current dog progresses, but I won't try it if I know its well beyond his skills.

ricbonner

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
I like the idea of getting more Judges involved.  They are already doing something similar in Hoopers, and that is for points.