Author Topic: Proposed updates to Bonus Program  (Read 2487 times)

Marj Vincent

• Judge
  • Agility Gypsy
Re: Proposed updates to Bonus Program
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »
The bonus program is described in detail in the exhibitors handbook on page 32.
Marj Vincent
Volt, Scotty & Java
Bozeman, MT

"The most beautiful things in life are not things. They're people, and places, and memories and pictures.They're feelings, moments, smiles and laughter."

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »

Thanks Marj.   The chart on p34 is really good.  You can get a 20 point bonus on a regular course with a dri under 100, but not any other class is my understanding.  That helps a lot!

DataHound

« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
Hi Chris:

What are the drivers for these proposed changes?

Thanks

Sandy T
Shingle Springs, CA

Chris Nelson

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2018, 05:04:47 PM »
Hi Chris:

What are the drivers for these proposed changes?

Thanks

Sandy T
Shingle Springs, CA

Mainly trying to encourage new handlers to try bonuses, without jeopardizing the integrity of the bonus awards program.

Steve Stochaj

• 2016 Online Seminar Group
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Not that I often try bonuses but why can't the handler just give the judge a thumbs up or say "bonus" when the judge says good luck then no one has to buy, bring  or remember to put on anything
How about when the judge says good lucky, the bonus handler will respond, “thanks I will need it, I am attempting the bonus”

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Stochaj

Edraith

• the caving k9
    • Sunguramy Photography
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:28 PM »
Not that I often try bonuses but why can't the handler just give the judge a thumbs up or say "bonus" when the judge says good luck then no one has to buy, bring  or remember to put on anything
How about when the judge says good lucky, the bonus handler will respond, “thanks I will need it, I am attempting the bonus”

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im not sure how common this is in agility or nadac, but as someone who is HOH basing things on verbal interaction in noisy environments especially when I cannot see lips...ugh. I am not a bonus person nor will I probably ever be one but I would suggest  inclusive signs like the scrunchy idea!
Amata & Edraith
facebook.com/Edraith

AndreaEntin

• Judge
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »
The handler could come to the line and prior to the good luck indicate they are doing the bonus.

A simple raised hand at the start line could be the signal. A thumbs up from the judge that they acknowledge the bonus attempt to come.  No screaming required. 

Andrea

KarissaKS

• Agility Acres Dog Training
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 05:12:09 AM »
I have zero interest in submitting video and stopped attempting bonuses when this became a requirement. I would also refuse to wear a scrunchie or armband. I would like it if there was at least a 5 point bonus given at trials as there is for Hoopers. Not everyone goes to Champs or can make it every year, so the incentive of qualifying for stakes doesn't mean much to those people.
V-NATCH2/NATCH5 Luke, V-NATCH2/NATCH3 PACH Kaiser, NATCH MACH2 PACH Secret, Kizzy & Jedi

http://www.youtube.com/user/SarMoniet
http://agilityacrestn.com/

knittingdog

• Cowtown Dog Sports
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 06:49:56 AM »
As a beginner at some of the big distance, I find it inspiring to watch other people do bonus runs.  I don't have access to see those right now unless I am friends with the handlers on FB and they choose to post them.  It would be nice to see them posted again.

Robin
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:52:28 AM by knittingdog »

Lorrie Stelz

• My website
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
I agree with Doug Ricks post.  Nice points made, Doug!

As for the videoing, my mom had a hard time finding the right spot to always have my dog and I in the frame at the same time.  She did lose sight of me at the end when my dog finished his Bonus, but she panned over to me and you could see I was standing still in the box.

It is challenging with small boxes to see the whiskers on the ground when you are trying to "keep moving" and constantly watching your dog.  I've always been good at knowing where I am with Chances lines, but this was a new spacial/visual challenge for me.  Lots of fun and my young boy and I enjoy attempting them.  We look forward to more in the future!!  :)

Not going to Champs this year, so my challenge with Bonuses (and Distance Lines) is just a new thrill/challenge with Tripp, and if we are ever good/lucky to get Regular ones, we can try for the Silver Achievement Cup as Chances and Jumpers are easier bonus challenges for Tripp than Regular.  Just a fun, new challenge to try for here and there!!  I've always been glad that NADAC allows more elite challenges/achievements beyond the NATCHs for those that want to try!
Lorrie Stelz

Kaiden: NATCH 12, VersNATCH 10, AA NATCH 2 Tartan Bay More Than Meets The Eye MX MXJ MXF IT HIC HOF
Tripp: NATCH 6, VersNATCH 4, AA NATCH 3 BB's Embrace The Journey HIT HIC HOF
& ret. Chaney: NATCH 8 VersNATCH 5 Wildblue Enchanted MX MXJ MJB MXF S-HP-E HOF

Jeff Newman

• Just Live It!
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
Hi Chris
With the introduction of the DC line in Regular, Why not add a DC line to ALL classes? This would promote participation on a much larger level. I do understand some courses do not meet the criteria for a bonus, so they would not meet the criteria for a DC line. Would it hurt the integrity of the bonus program to add a DC line to all classes NADAC offers? That's a good question to ask. I do know that if NADAC puts a DC line down on a Weavers, TNG, or Jumpers, there will be more people trying a distance challenge or bonus attempt. This gives the program a stepping stone incentive to reach the Silver Stakes and Super Stakes. It's the step in the program that been missing for years. If you want to promote participation, add these DC lines to enhance what is already a wonderful program.
Just my 2 cents.
Jeff Newman

Steve Stochaj

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 06:03:20 AM »
Sometimes, not often, handler and judge are some distance apart at the start of the run.  Verbal info only might be missed.

Here is an idea motivated by the Royal Wedding ...... Bonus handlers can wear purple fascinators!!!
Steve
Steve Stochaj

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 06:52:22 AM »
Sometimes, not often, handler and judge are some distance apart at the start of the run.  Verbal info only might be missed.

Here is an idea motivated by the Royal Wedding ...... Bonus handlers can wear purple fascinators!!!
Steve

I’m pretty sure the purple lady mannequin at Champs has that fascinator on 🤔😂
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.

Richard Wolfe

• The line is not your friend, do not hug the line!!
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
Steve, you truly are and idea man!!!!!!    LOL!!!!

And Marcy, I'm sure you're correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a picture of her and Don Don Cuda somewhere!!
Richard Wolfe
Sparkle, Rowdy, Rumor and Raven

Marcy Matties

• LuvMyDogs
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
Steve, you truly are and idea man!!!!!!    LOL!!!!

And Marcy, I'm sure you're correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a picture of her and Don Don Cuda somewhere!!

And here she is   :)
Marcy, Toby, Dublin and Odie
===============
I want to be runnin' when the sand runs out.